The Michael Jackson appreciation thread | Page 4 | The Popjustice Forum
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Michael Jackson appreciation thread

Discussion in 'Comeback corner' started by Loopy Linda, May 16, 2017.

1. This video to “Black Or White” by Tobias Ellehammer is amazing:

2. She does NOT look 60 years old! Wow.

Stepsmatt likes this.
  3. You worked with Michael Jackson more than anyone he wasn’t related to. What’s something people don’t understand about him?
    I hate to get into this publicly, but Michael stole a lot of stuff. He stole a lot of songs. [Donna Summer’s] State of IndependenceOriginally written by Vangelis and longtime Yes front man Jon Anderson, “State of Independence” was recorded by Donna Summer in 1982. Jones produced Summer’s version, Michael Jackson helped out on backing vocals, and the song’s central riff does sound awfully similar (albeit faster) to the iconic bass riff on Jackson’s hit single “Billie Jean.” It should also be noted that, last year, Jones won a lawsuit over a royalties dispute against Jackson’s estate. and Billie Jean. The notes don’t lie, man. He was as Machiavellian as they come.

How so?
    Greedy, man. Greedy. “Don’t Stop ’Til You Get Enough” — Greg Phillinganes wrote the c sectionPhillinganes, an in-demand studio keyboardist, played on a handful of Jackson-Jones collaborations, including the 1979 album Off the Wall, from which “Don’t Stop ‘Til You Get Enough” comes. . Michael should’ve given him 10 percent of the song. Wouldn’t do it.

http://www.vulture.com/2018/02/quincy-jones-in-conversation.html

Eric Generic likes this.
  4. I'll admit I expected Quincy Jones to be slightly classier in this interview. As much as I love Michael Jackson, some of the stuff Jones highlights here is not particularly surprising.

5. I feel the same, although maybe Quincy is getting old and just wants to put the record straight on some things that he'd kept schtum about before. I think he and Jackson had quite a volatile working relationship at times, and there were disagreements around the time of Dangerous (possibly even during the creation of Bad, which saw Jones siding with the record label when Jackson wanted to make the record darker and less mainstream).

spillett likes this.
  6. The level of smoke/ mirrors & general mystery that used to surround him was unlike anything I think anyone will ever see again.

I appreciate those who actually knew him, laying it on the line & filling in the blanks (not to mention what lay behind his perceived motivations). I’d rather hear the truth (warts & all).

mmcg10 and Eric Generic like this.
  7. Definitely. I just wonder why Quincy waited all this time to be more honest about his working relationship with, and opinion of, Michael Jackson.

pranavc and Joanie like this.
  8. I am definitely NOT hearing the similarity in the bass line between "Billie Jean" and Donna Summer's "State of independence".

Conan, Joanie and Eric Generic like this.
  9. Me either, actually.

WhatKindOfKylie?, pranavc and Joanie like this.
  10. Odd how anti Michael, he seems to be at times. Considering the huge success of their partnership.

pranavc likes this.
  11. Who else here adores the Brothers In Rhythm club remix of Who Is It? Already a fantastic track in its own right, but this takes it to the next level I think .

Pop Life likes this.
  12. Just to say that the Dangerous "reissue" is so lazy ! I want a proper one ! ! ! But I think it got scrapped

13. I was amazed that they didn't attempt one to be honest.

14. 12 inch mix of pure 80's feel good MJ bliss!

15. This too-oh how I LOVE the Bad album/era!

16. I have always been aware of many of it's tracks, but today, went out, and bough the album properly at long last:
    [​IMG]

17. I really like Dangerous. It's probably too long but many albums of that time were long (ie. Erotica) as artists took advantage of the length of CDs.

Who Is It? and Give In To Me are very underrated. Great songs.

I also love the video for In the Closet, directed by Herb Ritts. It was one of those rare times when Michael dropped all the pretenses and the "I'm-the-King-of-Pop" hoopla and just relaxed. I missed that loose, go-with-the-flow MJ of Off the Wall.

18. I just had my first full listen of Dangerous and I enjoyed! Could do without the awful saccharine of Heal The World and some of the songs could need a slight edit, but that aside.

Remember The Time, Jam, In The Closet, Who Is It, all fantastic New Jack Swing bops and brilliant singles. The title track and She Drives Me Wild, are gem album cuts too.

Sideout and Eric Generic like this.
  19. I'd have had both as singles, along with Keep The Faith.

WhatKindOfKylie? likes this.