The Miseducation of Popjustice: 1998 R&B Albums - VOTING OPEN! | Page 4 | The Popjustice Forum
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Miseducation of Popjustice: 1998 R&B Albums - VOTING OPEN!

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by londonrain, Mar 11, 2018.

Which of these artists' followups do you like the most?

1. Brandy - Full Moon

2. Monica - After The Storm

3. Lauryn Hill - MTV Unplugged No. 2.0

4. Whitney Houston - Just Whitney...

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Poor If I Told You That! I remember the George Michael duet version kicking butt as their voices went incredibly well together in the adlibs - not sure the non-duet version reaches the same heights but it is what it is. This Whitney album is just so good!!
  2. I’m surprised that it’s the only one of the four albums that didn’t make the US top ten and didn’t produce a #1 single! She definitely deserved better than that.
  3. I seem to recall (and this is fuzzy since I was 14 about 20 years ago) that the general public was not exactly into the sound she was pursuing, they were after more big ballads akin to the Bodyguard soundtrack. I was horrified when It's Not Right But It's Okay did not do as well as her previous numbers on the charts as it is out of this world amazing!

Heartbreak Hotel as a single after seemed to be aimed as a course-correct since it wasn't as bold a different step for her, luckily they kinda realised the quality could speak for itself and we got My Love Is Your Love released too!
  4. That's a masterpiece. Madonna Live Tours rate coming 2099!
    Ray and berserkboi like this.
  5. K94

Think I'll do this! Some iconic contenders for an 11
    berserkboi and londonrain like this.
  6. This is going to be fun!
  7. Thank you for the tag @londonrain.

I remember being very disappointed from the album of Lauren Hill when it came out ...

But I will listen to all of the songs again. If I reasonably like them today, I will take part.
    londonrain likes this.
  8. Excellent! I’m looking forward to seeing how many different songs get 11s in this rate. The competition is fierce!

I have no idea how your scores are going to turn out. This could be very interesting...

It’s okay if you don’t love it! All scores are welcome as long as you’ve made the effort to listen to all the songs. Your PJ00s entrant Debelah Morgan is here with a couple of different songs...
    berserkboi and Filippa like this.
  9. MollieSwift21

MollieSwift21 Moderator

The shade of not getting a tag.

It's been a bit since I've listened to the albums in full but I think Whitney's is my favorite here.
  10. I didn’t think this would be your thing, teebs, as I hadn’t realised you were a fan of the genre. My bad.

Please do come and vote! I don’t think any of this album has been in a rate since the abandoned Whitney singles rate several years ago, so I’m intrigued to see how it will fare.
    MollieSwift21 likes this.
  11. MollieSwift21

MollieSwift21 Moderator

TLC and Aaliyah were my favorite R&B acts of around this time period. I grew up with Brandy with Moesha. Monica provided the life anthem with Just One of Dem Days.

A hilarious story. When my roommate was in middle school she was talking to a guy and another girl that liked him called her house and just played The Boy is Mine on the phone on their answering machine. She through her into a locker the next day ha!
  12. Oh wow. We DEFINITELY need you in this rate!

That’s amazing. The shade.

13. This is right up my strasse but i have no interest in any of these albums.

If you'd done '97 when Mary J, En Vogue and SWV all had albums out i would have been all over this.

Have fun though
    londonrain likes this.
  14. Sorry to hear that! There are plenty of R&B classics in the Best of the Rest section, though... have a listen to them anyway!
    mump boy likes this.
  15. I'm gonna try and do this tomorrow... during working hours of course.
  16. Haha. I'm looking forward to your scores!
    spillett likes this.
  17. I'm unfamiliar with the Monica album so it'll be interesting.
  18. It's odd how hers was the only one of those four that didn't really do anything in the UK. Whitney and Lauryn's albums both went triple platinum and Brandy still managed to go platinum, but Monica's album missed the top 50 and sank without a trace, despite having two top ten hits on it (The Boy Is Mine and The First Night).

The Boy Is Mine isn't perfect but it's still one of my favourite albums of all time.
    Sprockrooster likes this.
  19. She just wasn't as well known I guess. Brandy was known for Moesha and obviously Whitney was a huge name still. Lauryn Hill due to the success from The Fugees but Monica... Nah.
  20. Was Moesha a thing in the UK? I missed that somehow. I always thought that was very much only something she'd have been known for within the US.