The Reissue Thread! | Page 979 | The Popjustice Forum
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Reissue Thread!

Discussion in 'Comeback corner' started by Eric Generic, Oct 19, 2009.

1. Considering the second unreleased album, Real is apparently a legal nightmare and unlikely to ever see the light of day in full, I'm not surprised we never get any of those early 80s unreleased tracks. The ones which were included in the From Croydon To Cuba box set were the only ones they could include apparently, as the paperwork for the rest is lost and no one knows who wrote/performed what or who even owns the material in some cases. Her ex-husband Steve Lillywhite said quite a long time ago that he's remastered it all as best he can and it's there, ready to go, should anyone ever be able to settle the legal issues. It's all terribly sad.

This is everything I know about the era...

Never on CD but released on Vinyl

Boys - BUY57 - 1979 B-side
    I Don't Need You - POSP225 - 1981 B-side
    There's A Guy Works Down The Truck Stop Swears He's Elvis [US 7" Version] - PD2201 - 1981 A-side
    Annie - SPELP95 - 1985 LP track
    Berlin (original Polydor recording) - SPELP95B - 1985 LP track
    Man With No Name - SPELP95B - 1985 LP track
    Sleepless Nights - SPELP95B - 1985 LP track

Unreleased 'Real' album [1981-83]

01 Berlin^
    02 Annie
    03 Bad Dreams
    04 Man With No Name
    05 Germany
    06 Time
    07 Goodnight Paris
    08 Sticked And Stoned*
    09 Camel Crossing*
    10 Lullaby For Ezra
    11 Up The Grey Stairs
    12 Roman Gardens*

^I think this is the re-recording done for the North of Watford label, issued as a 7" with Rhythm Of The Real Thing* on the B-side in late 1983

*Included on 'From Croydon To Cuba' box set

I believe You Broke My Heart In 17 Places would've been on the second Stiff album, had she not left for Polydor in 1981, along with You Caught Me Out*, which was a cancelled single and another one inherited by Tracey Ullman. It's worth noting that a different (remixed?) version of You Caught Me Out is on 'The Big Stiff Box Set'.

2. I love every somg Tracey released/covered. Whoever A&R'd that project knocked it out of the park. It lead me to discover so many "originals" I never would have otherwise. Her 2 Disc Stiff collection gets heavy rotation at my house.

3. anfunny2003 and Eric Generic like this.
  4. I eat my words, then! Apologies to Paul.

Eric Generic and karmacar like this.
  5. Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
    Eric Generic likes this.
  6. I love Kirsty, but I think I can live without this set, nice as it looks. I got all the deluxe reissues, the Croydon 3CD set, the Croydon DVD, another budget compilation with a beautiful dark blue sleeve.....there comes a time when it's impossible to justify buying the same material over and over. Besides, I spent ages compiling my own Kirsty 4-disc anthology, "Queen Of The High Teas", which I'd hoped would be the final word on trying to piece together her output.

7. biffy77 and Eric Generic like this.
  8. There is nothing new or exclusive to the set, but the old pressings are out of print, so it's being made available again... some people wont have anything by her and it's a nice intro, and arguably her strongest material. I Do like the choice of front image - it's a beautiful sleeve (Innocence) and this repurposing isn't bad. There are three things remastered here that all previous reissues have skipped;
    Walking Down Madison [Club Mix], Walking Down Madison [Urban Mix] and My Affair [Single Edit]. They're on the original CD singles, but they should be remastered and louder (in a good way) here.

P.S. My own Kirsty 'digital box set' is called "Philosophising Some", a lyric from Walking Down Madison.

Anjoel40 and Eric Generic like this.
  9. I'd have to agree, it looks a nicely presented collection. I'm glad I don't need to find the money to buy it though!

Neat title.

anfunny2003 likes this.
  10. Yeah..along with the Barbra Streisand remix album "Mentl".

The comments have definitely had a more amusing tone lately, between all the rockish snobbery natch.

nostalgiakills likes this.
  11. Excellent mastering with tip-top packaging and artwork. No complaints, here (although my copy also took the slow boat from Aussieland).

biffy77 likes this.
  12. Post between the UK and Oz used to be great but has really, really slowed down in the last few months.
    I order from Amazon UK quite a lot and used to received packages in around 1-2 weeks max.
    Now its at least a month or more, and some mail seems to vanish completely.

Eric Generic likes this.
  13. Kirsty pack shot;

[​IMG]

Anjoel40 and Eric Generic like this.
  14. Oooh cheers, I can now cross check with the Cherry Pop reissues and work out what I need.

Meanwhile, I spotted the 3CD Fall collection "A Sides 1978-2016" (the one in a clamshell box) in Sainsburys for £13. That's 3.99 less than HMV, but the biggest surprise was seeing The Fall's music in a supermarket.

ModeRed, imcal and hamicle like this.
  15. Is this Immaculate Collection re-issue for any particular reason?

16. That’s a pleasant surprise! I’m torn between the 3CD and full 7CD, i have all of the Beggars era material so I need to weigh up what, of interest, I don’t have on the big box.

Eric Generic likes this.
  17. It specifically states Another Weekend is the US 45 version, so I'm wondering how many of their other 8 UK Top 40 hits on CD7 might be new to this box set in their correct 45 versions?

Can't Wait Another Minute puzzles me, overseas pressings of the 45 all have 4.11 on the label, but my UK pressing runs 4.28.

Also don't know of any differences with the LP and 45 versions of Somewhere Somebody?

If I Say Yes is another one where I was under the impression the 7" edit come remix was only on the US 45?

Hopefully someone more knowledgeable than myself on Five Star can enlighten me!

biffy77 likes this.
  18. Well, they're putting out the a-ha Headlines & Deadlines on vinyl at the same time, so maybe it's some kind of Warners "greatest hits on vinyl" range.

djessie likes this.