The Resident Evil Movies | The Popjustice Forum
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Resident Evil Movies

Discussion in 'TV + Film' started by angelX, Apr 5, 2010.

1. The first trailer popped up today for the fourth in the "Resident Evil" series. I think it looks great, but then again, I'm a sucker for Milla Jovovich kicking lot of ass so I may be biased. There are some rather strange text bits in between the film clips, I must say, but take a look:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQIwVXPrw4M

2. Re: Resident Evil: Afterlife

The RE movies do tend to be a somewhat guilty pleasure for me. I do love a bit of Jovovich ass kicking action though. I even like Ultraviolet which most people hate.

3. Re: Resident Evil: Afterlife

Eeee! Chris and Wesker are in it how exciting. I must admit I love these movies. (I love zombie movies and games in general...)

4. duckface

duckface Guest

Re: Resident Evil: Afterlife

I'm sure the makers think it looks awesome, but in my opinion the effects look shockingly bad. Which would be okay if the trailer wasn't selling the film solely on how good it supposedly looks.

No shots of Chris, which is interesting. Perhaps his involvement is still meant to be a "secret". Given that it's Wentworth Miller apparently playing him, the portrayal will more likely be the dweeb version rather than the Hulked-out version.

5. Re: Resident Evil: Afterlife

By 'Hulked-out' Chris I think he's talking about the Chris on Resident Evil 5 with massive arms who could push boulders over.

6. Re: Resident Evil: Afterlife

As much as the first film is a guilty pleasure, that new one looks like any action movie of the last 10 years;

People firing guns akimbo? Check.
    Falling out of a building backwards firing a gun? Check.
    Fighting in rain/broken extinguishers? Check.
    Blade 2 style vampire? Check.
    Matrix style kung-fu acrobatics? Check.

I know this is like the fourth(?) movie in the franchise, and it's probably redundant asking for originality in a sequel, but c'mon - are there NO new ideas?

7. Re: Resident Evil: Afterlife

These films are absolutely ridiculous shit, if you ask me - entertaining shit, but shit nonetheless! My favourite ridiculous moment is from the second one; Milla smashing through a church window on a motorbike, jumping off in mid-air, all the while blasting away (with perfect aim of course) with guns so big they'd probably break her hands in real life. It was the absolute pinnacle of craziness, rivalled only by the Milla/Nemesis boxing match later on.

8. Re: Resident Evil: Afterlife

I absolutely love the first film. It really captures the games strangely. Then the sequels have gotten progressively ridiculous but isn't that the fun of it? Guilty pleasure at its tackiest.

9. Re: Resident Evil: Afterlife

I remember being excited to see the 3rd film as Ashanti was in it, only to find she was in it for about 15mins and eaten by birds. I was expecting her to be much more kick ass!

10. Re: Resident Evil: Afterlife

OH MY GOD.

Brilliant.

They're all utterly shit, but whether it's the Resident Evil films or the amazingly awful Ultraviolet, nothing will ever stop me enjoying watching Milla Jovovich kill things, Especially if tight outfits, stupid weapons and explosions are added.

11. duckface

duckface Guest

That is indeed what I meant.

12. SockMonkey

SockMonkey Guest

I just wanted to add my "yay" to the Milla Jovovich shooting things in slo-mo appreciation society. I love the RE series, as ridiculous as they are, and they all look lovely on Blu-ray too.

13. Re: Resident Evil: Afterlife

Haha, Milla is certainly Hollywood's reigning action queen. What I can say? She knows how to work a huge gun and a high kick.

14. Re: Resident Evil: Afterlife

I'm probably one of the few fans of the games, that also enjoyed the films. The first one is great. It felt like the games, but it still felt like a new storyline. Amnesia is done terribly in most cases, but it worked. Jovovich's performance was solid, too.

Apocalypse is one of my favourite films. Ever. Technically, the first is a better film (better written, better directed etc.) but I enjoy this far more. Firstly, Jill Valentine. My favourite character from any game, ever. Sienna Guillory was perfect in the role, she looked the part, and she stole the movie away from everyone else even with a minor role. Love the action sequences (crashing into the church was ridiculous, but I loved it and Alice's breakout from the Umbrella lab). The only thing that really bothered me about the film was the butchering of Nemesis. In the game (RE3: Nemesis), Nemesis was essentially a giant cockroach. It just would not die. Then, the film essentially makes the character a huge puppy dog. Apart from that, excellent guilty pleasure.

Extinction was decent, but it was hurt by Jill's absence.

I enjoyed Afterlife's trailer. I hope that Alice's clone army won't take up too much time, and that Claire's role is expanded on a bit (loved her in Code Veronica). I hope Chris isn't featured too heavily, I enjoyed the character in the game but I can't see Wentworth Miller pulling it off (have never seen him in anything, so hopefully he will surprise me). I'm hoping for the best.

15. Re: Resident Evil: Afterlife

I'm really hoping Sheva will appear in a Resident Evil movie one day.

16. Re: Resident Evil: Afterlife

I really can't wait for this! I class this alongside the Underworld trilogy were I realise the films are really quite shit but I can't help but love them.

17. Resi12

Resi12 Guest

I'm not a huge fan of the movies since I am such a big fan of the games but now I tend to think of them as separate entities and no longer be annoyed by the constant inconstancy the movies had about the overall plot/story.

This doesn't look the worst though, it looks like it had a much bigger budget than I would have imagined it to have. I hope it's as good as Apocalypse, Extinction was a bit so-so, the casting seemed a bit throwaway.

One thing I do hope is that the zombies get a better look, that spoof film Zombieland had better looking ones for God sake.

18. Re: Resident Evil: Afterlife

Looks amazing.

Ok they're all pretty bad, but bad in a good way.

Love the first & third ones.

Does Milla have a different hair colour in every film? who's doing her hair with all the zombies around? that's what I would like to know.

19. duckface

duckface Guest

The effects look awful. But is that Jill Valentine in there? I thought she wasn't coming back.