THE SO+Y 2017: ◈⟐ THOT 100 ◈⟐ #66 // #65 // #64 | Page 63 | The Popjustice Forum
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

THE SO+Y 2017: ◈⟐ THOT 100 ◈⟐ #66 // #65 // #64

Discussion in 'K-pop' started by Squashua, Dec 4, 2017.

?

How many songs should make the SO+Y Final?

Poll closed Dec 16, 2017.
  1. Let's make it a Top 100.

10 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Same as last year - 60 songs.

3 vote(s)
    15.0%
  3. 80 sounds like a reasonable extension.

7 vote(s)
    35.0%
  4. Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. [​IMG]

KNK's EPs sell more units than CLC's.EPs.

2. Sis I sell more units than CLC and I don't even have an EP out.
    I like KNK by the way ddd

BEST FICTION, He, Kuhleezi and 3 others like this.
  3. The truth tea hurts.

[​IMG]

The only group CLC will ever outsell is LOONA

BEST FICTION, He, Kuhleezi and 4 others like this.
  4. Cotton Park, Kuhleezi, Serg. and 5 others like this.
  6. At least I can be objective with my faves instead of tossing any song with their name attached a 10 like I'm sure y'all did with Red Velvet's 24 entries

[​IMG]

7. KPJ's ReVeluvs reading your post:
    [​IMG]

ThighHighs, Serg., vikeyeol and 9 others like this.
  8. Red Velvet are my faves because 90% of their songs are a 9 or a 10.

[​IMG]

9. Remember when KARD were a thing?

10. Eh... no. No, I don't.

Nuh uh. Unless you mean Super Junior's new hiDden members....

ThighHighs likes this.

11. And tying with Rumor but graced with one more 10-pointer...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

TRASH FOR IT 10s:
    Aries // Empty Shoebox // McQueer
    Ryan_Riot92

BEIGE ABOUT IT 4 to 5s:
    Cotton Park // Gintoki // Send Photo

STRAIGHT UP ILJINS:
    3 - Alouder98 // Monkey0

The ONCEs aren't pulling their weight in this rate as we see the third of 5 TWICE songs fall before we've even reached the half-way point. I'm even more gagged that this was beaten by Signal of all tracks considering the overwhelmingly negative response to the alien-bating super-powered jingle and what I thought was universal praise for Knock Knock's cutesy slumberparty charms.

That being said....

I prefer Signal to Knock Knock.

[​IMG]

Actually, controversially, Knock Knock is probably my least favourite Korean title track by TWICE because even if

C̵̛͕̠̹͕̻̀̏h̷̗̥̻̀̈́͗͒e̶̜͑̑ŗ̵̪͎̝̲̦̽̊̈́r̸̞̮̖̒̑̒̂͆u̵͔̩͍͓͉̲̍̌͘ṕ̷̢̀̋̐̚ͅ ̷̻̣̤̩͌̚B̵̢̧̧̲̥́̔̃̈́̚͝ë̸̛̤͉́̅͂̕̚ḩ̵̼̆B̷̨̹͙͍̪͋̆̈́͛̕ȩ̵̯͙̼̬̄̀͠h̷̡͈̭̰̬̻̃̍̈́

has since become grating and borderline obnoxious with age, in a pre-TT world it was actually kinda a bop (at least compared to what lots of other bands were churning out). Knock Knock on the other hand, was set up as a sort of quasi-sequel to the Haunted Haus "i'm a mouse duh" dress-up smorgasbord and with that foreboding synth wobble intro there was all the promise we were in for an even sleeker, iron-tight ridicu-banger than TT was. Was it too early to hope for their Genie or their Run Devil Run?

Yes. Yes it was.

Because ultimately Knock Knock, a cautionary tale of investing in a timepiece so when that one gentleman caller does arrive you're actually ready to open your door (but what if you live in a flat? or a dungeon with no door, only bars?), really reads/sounds to me like a Barney & Friends end-of-episode jamboree trying to teach the word 'knock' to pre-schoolers. Because if they haven't learnt it by the 118th KNOCK (of which yes I counted every single English spoken/sung knock in the song for the purpose of journalistic research) then you might as well just give them a crayon and call it a day.

The fact the video also seemingly points to a cutesy girl-party slumber session being rudely interrupted by a stray old man with a keyboard (JYP being a creep) and culminating in them freezing to death in the snow a la Jack Nicholson at the end of The Shining because not a single one out of nine of them remembered to take a key is both a turn and natural selection at work.

[​IMG]

Oh well, even if i'm not a fan at least it did bring us another iconic Momo Carey moment in the shape of the below:

[​IMG]

◈⟐◈⟐◈⟐◈⟐◈⟐◈⟐◈⟐◈⟐◈⟐

KNOCK KNOCK. WHO'S THERE?

[​IMG]

Empty Shoebox : This is my favourite Twice record. Very cute and fun. It's a mid table ten, so it was never in contention for an eleven, but was never in any danger of being knocked down to a nine.

Ryan_Riot92 : QUEENS!! My favorite TWICE release this year. I just love the university vibe and playfulness of the entire track. It really let’s TWICE shine LIKE THE FUCKING STARS THEY ARE.

Karmarisma : The best thing about this song is that it makes you feel happy. No matter what the situation, put Knock Knock on and it's an instant mood boost. I also think that the opening bass is the best part of the song and It's a shame it wasn't used. [SQSH: I only feel underwhelmed.]

McQueer : When this was first released I have to say I was disappointed. Coming after TT with it’s incredibly lush instrumental this felt a bit..slight. But after giving it time it’s really revealed its charms and its just TWICE doing what they do best, releasing super fun no frills pop music. It just sounds so warm and it feels like you can hear the girls smiling while singing this ya know? And maybe thats bull and they’re just really good at faking it but who cares? I love this song!!

Slice of Life : This will probably go out earlier than Signal WHICH IS A HATE CRIME because Knock Knock is better than Signal in everything. Sure, it's kinda basic and doesn't really go anywhere but it's cute and bops hard. My girl Tzuyu only getting two lines though? Tragique.

He: I stan this song. It’s just addictive, and that Momo frame is everything.

Eliminathan: This was a weak comeback after TT but weak for TWICE is a bop compared to everyone else. Also Mina looks flawless as usual. I'm assuming this TWICE song will flop first so I'm warning you all I talk about Mina every time. [SQSH: Actually the third song out but I think the Mina stannage was expected from the off].

Ceir: My favorite Twice song of the year. [SQSH: An unexpected CHOICE]

JYP. OH, HIM?

[​IMG]

EccentricSimply: The song they released in 2017 that I like the least and it’s not even bad. Twice is just too powerful, I guess. That or I’m in too deep in their ass, which is very likely. I think the only true problem I have with it is that at times it feels like the song is trying to be TT, but it just doesn’t reach TT’s level.

ThighHighs: It’s cute and fun, but it’s just so bland.

Serg. : Generous, as I used to really hate the song but now it really grew on me, especially the Jeongyeons part and the bridge

JUST LET ME IN HEAUX. SORRY, NOT HOME.

[​IMG]

Salami: Loved it at first but it’s my least favourite single of theirs because it’s so repetitive.

Gintoki: Generally I like what Twice do and I think they can do no wrong....but this is just a carbon copy of that, product of mass production, sure knock knock part is cute, but that's it.

Alouder98 : This is my least favorite of TWICE songs by faaaar. Good for them for improving after this cause I honestly find this really cheap for a Big 3 song let alone the biggest girl group at the moment.

RUNAWAY: this was too much for me. kinda messy and too frantic to enjoy.

Monkey0: Late stage capitalism has nothing to offer, culture is dead, music is just mechanical noise, it serves solely to deafen the resistance. This is final call for great people's revvolution! [SQSH: this is kind of a masterclass in side-stepping actually critiquing the song - commentary is dead, commentary is just mechanical noise e.t.c.]

12. Knock Knock is Twice's worst single. Don't @ me.

Signal slays.

[​IMG]

Alouder98, Sanctuary, RUNAWAY and 7 others like this.
  13. I'm going to be upset if Signal and Likey aren't at least in the top 30.

14. He

He

Signal above Knock Knock?!!!

Disgusting.

15. Signal is fantastic, Knock Knock... isn't.

Alouder98, Sanctuary, RUNAWAY and 4 others like this.
  16. I gave Knock Knock an 8 but if I had to rate it now it would probably be a 6 nn. Signal on the other is in my top 3 TWICE songs.

17. Get in, queens, we're going Signalling.

McQueer, RUNAWAY, send photo and 5 others like this.

18. It's bumper to bumper head-to-head
    ties for the next few updates

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

TRASH FOR IT 10s:
    @digitalkaiser // D is for Danger!

BEIGE ABOUT IT 4 to 5s:
    Salami

STRAIGHT UP ILJINS:
    3 - @Kuhleezi

The beauty of K-Pop is that any and every group can have a bop that shocks the masses KPJ into actually noticing them for a hot minute before they then fade back into obscurity. It doesn't matter the number of years hiatus or how many members you juggle about, this cysterdom will always be here for a bop when the day arrives.

Say AWWWWW OOOWWWWHHHHH to this year's entry into the "WHO-GU? Oh, but yath." pantheon last year occupied by Berry Good's very very good Don't Believe.

[​IMG]

And much like Berry Good's ode to unbelievable sapphicism, Want You To Say is a basic, bright and breezy trop-bop perfect for summer but released in the dead of Autumn emulating a big 3 counterpart's much bigger hit and you might be forgiven for thinking it was their debut because Play-hew? Berry what-now?

BUT YOU'D BE WRONG
    (on that last point anyway).

Because if you were in the K-fold in 2015 you'll remember their actual breakthrough should've been with this absolute stormer of a 90's sing-a-long jam.

[​IMG]

Vocals - check ✔
    Not in retread schoolgirl outfits - check ✔
    Hooks - check ✔
    Self-promotion via naming the song after your own group - check ✔
    In that same white one-room box set nearly every bargain basement nugu group uses -
    unfortunately check ✔✔✔

And that's why i'm less enamoured with Want You To Say than I should be. I like it but it's no Self-titled-title-track and there's no doubt it's derivative - like a less effervescent Red Flavor to be honest - and the best segments gets saved up for a 10 second outro. I mean not even its ballot placers @junglefish and @ryan_riot92 could muster a 10 for the poor dears and that's sad huh? Still, congrats on actually making it to a second single ladies, well done on still sounding relatively good (even if the dolphin sounds of that chorus end-line punctuation can be a bit grating) and hurrah for being able to repurpose Stellar's Crying sets under insta-filters now that they've escaped into the horizon away from their monstrous entertainment company.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

◈⟐◈⟐◈⟐◈⟐◈⟐◈⟐◈⟐◈⟐◈⟐

SKIP

[​IMG]

Aries: Nothing of note. Faceless, trop-house lite.

Kuhleezi: This really irks me. The beat is decent, nothing exceptional, the chorus is as bland as they come, and their vocals are particularly grating. Next.

Karmarisma: Playback's debut is honestly one of the best girl group debuts ever. So this mediocre tropical house follow-up was quite disappointing and I preferred Untold Story 1000x more from this album. It sounds like one of those typical summer songs Jay Park releases every year. [SQSH: #JusticeforUntoldStory #JusticeforHitThePlayback]

PAUSE

[​IMG]

Eccentricsimply: I’m not too keen on this. They are cute though and they sound pretty good.

Alouder98: This is cheap but the basic side of me loves it so much. I'm low-key pressed that the best part of the song (the ''play your favorite song'' at the end) lasts only like 5 seconds.

Cotton Park: I really thought that "Playback," their eponymous single that seems like it came out ages ago, was one of the most underrated KPop singles ever, right up there with "Nothing Lasts Forever" by Girl's Day, "Do You Feel Me" by Mister Mister, and "Ribbon" by B2ST. Unfortunately, "Want You To Say," while pleasant enough, doesn't give me much more than the tsumami of samey but relatively punchless K-Trop that was a key theme of 2017. They have a lot of talent and great visuals and I'm confident they'll once again match that kryptonian basssmack they delivered with their debut single. "Want You To Say" ain't it. I do like it, though.

McQueer: I had to dock a point because I’m still pissed that final bit was expanded upon.

Serg. : This is not bad but can someone explain why is the main? vocalist producing goat sounds in the background of the chorus? [SQSH: I like to think it's more aquatic mammal in tone. Think Dory speaking whale]

PLAY AT 1.25x SPEED

[​IMG]

Empty Shoebox: Well, this isn't bad at all, is it?

Eliminathan: A good tropical bop, nothing to be mad about in this song.

ThighHighs: A basic bop, but a gorgeous bop. I can only say that I’d listened to their previous singles once or twice and found them serviceable, but nothing special. But this song is truly something else!.The chorus is properly infectious, and the post-chorus that comes in after the last chorus is absolutely stunning. This is one of those songs that can lift your spirits any time it comes on and will be on all of my summer playlists.

Ryan_Riot92: Oh no … not another tropical bop! But wait … this one actually knocks! WAIT A SECOND … MY GIRLS PLAYBACK ARE BACK!!! It felt like forever but they finally came back and showed us that they are still here and ready to throw down. HA:TFELT even wrote the lyrics to this track!! Anyway this track is a fun summery bop and would have been better suited to be released earlier in the year but hey … I’ll take it!

Monkey0: clean, packed with energy and fun tropical bop. If you deliver something simple make sure it's done properly.

Slice of Life: God I still absolutely listen to this so much dddd. I know it's basic and this genre of music is fast becoming a joke, but when that chorus starts, I lose all self control and bop like my life depended to it. Fix me, mawmas. The rap section is trash but it is compensated by that amazing double chorus in the end. [SQSH: Weki Meki title tracks found rotting tbh]

D is for Danger! : There's something about this song that just makes me happy when I listen to it. I like how warm it feels.

19. Wow, 71? It's so good though.