The Ultimate Popstar Countdown 2017 - #494b (top 10 picks!) | Page 13 | The Popjustice Forum
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Ultimate Popstar Countdown 2017 - #494b (top 10 picks!)

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by Mvnl, May 8, 2017.

1. The best N.E.R.D. song, bar none.

2. Given that it's an obscure dance remix of a song from the musical Aida (which she starred in on Broadway) and it's not like she's recorded anything else from the musical, I'm amazed you came up with any video at all!

Mvnl likes this.
  3. Mvnl

Mvnl Moderator

Oh I had no idea it was so obscure. She's pretty much the queen of dance mixes isn't she?
    Remember really liking Absolutely Not and Something Happened On The Way To Heaven (and alway finding the originals a bit of a letdown being so used to the dance versions)

londonrain likes this.
  4. Yes - she's so known for her dance mixes that when she released her greatest hits she had to use the dance mixes for half the tracks!

Things Just Ain't The Same and Absolutely Not are both songs where the dance mixes are definitely better known and easier to find than the originals. Something Happened On The Way To Heaven was recorded for a Phil Collins tribute album so I'm glad she chose to release a dance mix as well to set it apart from the original.

Mvnl likes this.
  5. Oh and I thought UB40 were huge? I know a couple of their songs and I really love them ...

Corrected a mistake. Sorry I'm not that fluent in writing but it is really a good practice for me :-)

Last edited: May 18, 2017
  6. Mvnl

Mvnl Moderator

They once were huge. For me their last memorable hit was is 1997 for the soundtrack of Speed 2.
    I think for a lot of voters they were a bit 'before their time' without the legacy of some older acts that did a bit better here.

londonrain likes this.
  7. How have I only just discovered this rate!??
    Sad to see Foxes and Clare Maguire out so soon, I would have definitely voted both (especially Foxes who would have been in my top five)

londonrain and Mvnl like this.
  8. Delighted to realise that someone else voted for my #36!

9. There's some massive tunes in that second #881 video.

And I can't remember whether Nine Muses were there first time around, but it's nice to see them either way.

Alouder98 likes this.
  10. Mvnl

Mvnl Moderator

They were. The majority of what we're seeing is a repeat (about 1 new act a video thusfar) but with some acts moving a place, and some acts having picked up 2nd (or more) votes that didn't last year.

11. I see! I must have terrible memory then.

12. Mvnl

Mvnl Moderator

Well, assuming most of us only saw the videos once, over a year ago, I think it would be more bizarre if you completely remembered everything!

13. True, but I do like Nine Muses. (And I do find myself remembering some tracks, but they're mostly ones that I looked up on Spotify after.)

Anyway, I've always been fond of this song:

Alouder98 likes this.
  14. My #40, #38, and #36 artists, yes I can see them getting other voters. My #38 and #36 especially might have actually gotten a handful...but #37, I'm shook. The person or persons who also voted for the artist are absolutely flawless! Can't wait to find out who.

15. Cults were another discovery because of this thing, I love both of their albums!

So may great songs.

ModeRed and Mvnl like this.
  16. Mvnl

Mvnl Moderator

17. Guilty
    Groove Armada was me too I think.
    I can't actually remember my original votes now.

Filippa and Sprockrooster like this.
  18. Quite the drop for H&Claire! I think they were on my list last time? Though this time round I couldn't justify it at all. 'All Out of Love' is one hell of a song, though.

19. Mvnl

Mvnl Moderator

I'm guessing you're partially responsible for the drop then! (combined with a lot more people voting this time, so 2 votes not exactly putting an act up as high as it would have been last time)
    I did still vote for them, in a way it's more of a vote for Claire I guess.. Musically it was just too close to Steps, and happening when I was still a major fan so they'll always be an act I remember sorta being a fan of.
    But it was very hard to compare them to acts with a lot more material.
    I mean, it wouldn't exactly be one of the first acts I'd name if people asked 'what kind of artists do you like?'.
    Still no regrets.

Lost In Japan. likes this.
  20. Mvnl

Mvnl Moderator

Nope, that was @Eric Generic
    I could send you your votes!

push the button likes this.