Tinashe - Nightride / Joyride | Page 438 | The Popjustice Forum
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tinashe - Nightride / Joyride

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by Laura Vanderbooben, Aug 27, 2015.

1. Ddddd hopefully the rumors about two tracks coming are true. I’m really thirsting for some new Tinashe...I don’t think I’ve played those last couple of songs in full since they were released.

2. 2 smashes at once? She really won't let the girls live.

3. Bubbling Under here we come!

If we’re lucky.

4. This is clearly her response to New Rules, featuring Charli XCX obviously cause...

Ferk and AshleyKerwin like this.
  5. I'm having war flashbacks to when she posted those avant-garde teaser videos and then released Flame.

6. Honestly I just kind of don't trust her taste level anymore, and that makes me really sad.

LPMA likes this.
  7. I think her taste levels are fine, but I think she's desperately trying to fit some record label exec/A&R's outdated idea of what a successful crossover black women R&B/Pop singer/song should be and she's compromising herself to fit into that vision to achieve the success she desires when she should be embracing the niche she'd built for herself and naturally built up a fanbase (especially since RnB, hip hop, and rhythmic pop are having such a resurgence).

She's capable of writing good straightforward pop songs (I mean That's My Girl is a bop and a half) and Nightride proved that she's not just a one album wonder (and let's all remember that she literally gave us an incredibly well fleshed out, cohesive, and stunning album just about a year ago. Even in her label purgatory hell, she's still been giving us quality projects/albums)

I just have to believe that she's listening and acquiescing to all of the wrong people right now, because god help me if she's lost her way so far that she thinks these last few songs have been good (and I say this as someone who honestly thinks Flame isn't that bad and that everyone did a little too much on it; Light Up The Night is legit awful though).

tl;dr I don't think the situation is as dire as it seems in terms of her quality and taste. The drawn out release is just making it worse and making us question her more than we probably would otherwise.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017
    Kuhleezi, Mushroom, ohdenny and 15 others like this.
  8. We Up in This is amazing