Top 100 Best Selling Albums Of The Decade....So Far! | Page 4 | The Popjustice Forum
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Top 100 Best Selling Albums Of The Decade....So Far!

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by gezza76, Dec 30, 2017.

1. Add some Sam Smith and we are done?

SuperNerd likes this.
  2. I know I’m done if that comes true.

3. Is it fair to say that the new Sam Smith album is turning out to be a bit of a flop? I think it's doing reasonably well by general standards, but the hype is nothing compared to the overkill we had to put up with a few years ago. It's quite a relief that it failed to become a Sheeran-sized juggernaut.

Emeli Sande seems to be falling off the radar as well. It's crazy how the woman who was notoriously ubiquitous circa Read All About It (honestly, she wouldn't let a single day go by without at least one promo slot) barely seems to get any exposure now. I believe I've only heard the lead single from the last album once, despite being exposed to a mainstream radio station at least 8 hours a day.

4. Emeli Sande can go in the same charity bin of overhyped massive selling flash-in-the-pans as Macy Gray, Dido, David Gray, James Blunt and even Alanis Morissette and Shania Twain.

marie_05 and Eric Generic like this.
  5. What the industry can't seem to grasp (or maybe they simply don't give a shit) is that these REALLY huge and long-running albums that clog up the charts and rack up silly sales figures aren't healthy for the acts in question 99.9999% of the time (ie unless they are Adele).

This phenomenon did seem to take hold at the start of the 00s and we've had one act after another who have this one over-bearing success and never manage to move on from it.

kermit_the_frog and marie_05 like this.
  6. The general public just isn't invested int he artist like they used to be in the olden days.

These acts have so much money spent on them and so much hype before they've even released a song that they are too expensive to fail. They get saturation on TV, radio, adverts etc that the general public feel compelled to buy the stuff.

It's no surprise when they move on to the next thing quickly.

I mean the amount of exposure Sande got at the Olympics alone was just insanity.

marie_05 and Eric Generic like this.
  7. Oh come on. It's 23 years since Jagged Little Pill and Alanis still has something of a successful career, even if she's never come close to scaling the same heights again. Shania, meanwhile, is still selling out venues around the world. That's not what a flash in the pan is.

Also: the Emeli Sande stuff did get tiring, but when we're constantly tearing down people on here for not promoting *enough*, I don't think criticisms of an artist and their team for actually doing it well really stand up. Not to mention the "overexposure" criticisms from those who stan for some of the most overexposed people on Earth.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
  8. [​IMG]

07. PROGRESS- TAKE THAT (1-2-2-2-2-4-5-7) 2,381,600

Considerable press attention focused on Robbie’s return to the Take That fold back in 2010 and sure enough “Progress” sold a mighty 518k in its first week (still the 3rd highest ever 7 day sale) and 1.8 million in its first 7 weeks. Sales cooled quickly however though a deluxe version issued in June 2011 saw the set return to the top spot, it marks the final appearance for both Robbie and Jason in the group- perhaps forever?

Performance in 2017: Missing since January 2012- the longest spell of chart inactivity for any album in the top 10 and the lowest selling album of the year in this rundown

9. [​IMG]

06. IN THE LONELY HOUR- SAM SMITH (17-7-7-6) 2,400,900

Transforming Smith into an international superstar his debut album spent 71 of its first 72 weeks in the top 10 producing 7 top 10 singles by the end and 3 chart toppers (in its deluxe version). Along the way it garnered him BRITS and Grammy’s and in 2017 we got follow up “The Thrill Of It All” which will probably join this rundown in 12 months.

Performance in 2017: Another 125,000 sold with 41 weeks in the chart though it got no higher than No 15

Island likes this.
  10. [​IMG]

05.÷- ED SHEERAN (NEW) 2,702,800

Everyone knew this was going to be one of the big releases of 2017 but few foresaw just how big this would be. 19 weeks at No 1 in 7 stints (a chart record) it gave Sheeran the best selling single and album of the year, the biggest weekly sale for a male soloist ever (672,000) and saw him place all 16 album tracks in the top 20 the week of release including 9 in the top 10- the most top 10 hits from a studio album ever. It caused the OCC to re-write chart rules to ensure that the situation never replicated again so it is one of the few albums in chart history to cause such a re-write of the rules as a direct result of its performance.

Performance in 2017: Incredible! It’s never been lower than No 6 in all 43 weeks on sale so far.

Island and berserkboi like this.
  11. Sam Smith - Can't bear him anymore. His enunciation is dreadful.

Ed Sheeran - Indifferent to his music. Seems an ok bloke tho. Glorified busker. How is he the biggest global popstar of the year?

marie_05, gezza76 and Eric Generic like this.
  12. I can't help but think that we (as a culture) get the popstars we deserve. And there can be no better example of the ruinous shithole we're in than Ed Sheeran's bizarre megapopularity.

Blond, K94, Ray and 4 others like this.
  13. Well, that's just sad. It's the only really good album in the top 10! I miss those days. Certain artists had no business beating this. Two painfully insipid albums right there.

I guess at this point the only chance of ever attending a Sheeran-free wedding would be my own.

K94, Ray, kermit_the_frog and 4 others like this.
  14. We are infected by this disease (called the Sheeran-disease) as well. Most of all our children. Heaven help!

kermit_the_frog and Eric Generic like this.
  15. Uno

Uno

Didn't realize Glory Days was so high - Little Mix is still killing it, huh?

HollyDunnSomething likes this.
  16. Massive in Europe, mildly underwhelming in the USA?

Basically the reverse of every other Alicia Keys campaign - shows what a performance slot on The X Factor used to be worth...

Sprockrooster likes this.
  17. [​IMG]

04. CHRISTMAS- MICHAEL BUBLE (7-4-4-3-5-4-4) 2,743,700

Well isn’t this just turning into the “All I Want For Christmas Is You” of the album charts? When it charts you just know that the big day is almost here, It returned to the top 10 for a sixth Christmas in 2017 making No 8, only 2015 remains as the year it missed the top flight, surely it can’t go any higher?

Performance in 2017: Back in the top 10 and over 160,000 sold- job done.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
  18. [​IMG]

03. x- ED SHEERAN (8-2-3-3) 3,246,100

And so what happened to Emeli Sande in 2012/13 happened to Sheeran in 14/15, the clear winner in sales terms in the first year and on course to become the best seller again in the second year until beaten at the last minute. “x” consolidated Sheeran’s place in pop and set the benchmark by which his future albums would be measured, “÷” therefore still has some way to go but half the issue is that this continues to sell well.

Performance in 2017: Present and correct all year with 20 weeks in the top 10 and a No 3 peak with almost 350,000 copies sold!

19. [​IMG]

02. 25- ADELE (3-2-2) 3,441,500

Naturally the top 2 belong to Adele, let’s have a quick recap of the feats of the album include the largest opening weekly sale of 800,000 which was followed by 4 weeks with over 350k registering 5 of the 21 biggest weekly sales of all time and becoming the fastest album to reach first the million mark (10 days) then the 2 million mark (29 days) and finally the 3 million mark (220 days). The final landmark coincided with her star turn at Glastonbury which saw the album return to No 1 and yet it’s still 1.6 million away from making it to the top here!

Performance in 2017: Only 7 weeks in the top 10 but charted for 43 weeks and almost 200,000 copies shifted.

20. God what a truly insipid top ten Take That and Rihanna aside.