Top 100 Best Selling Female Acts 1980-2013 | Page 29 | The Popjustice Forum
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Top 100 Best Selling Female Acts 1980-2013

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by gezza76, Apr 24, 2017.

1. Yeah her voice really works well for me on some songs like Loca, Don't Bother, She Wolf..etc.. but if I'm listening to many songs in a row or an entire album her voice for whatever reason reminds me of an Alanis Morrisette parody set to dance music which just doesn't sit well with me. It's my own weird hang up I know... and that being said, I love her writing and use of clever similes and she's definitely one of the most talented pop stars around.

Eric Generic likes this.
  2. Mvnl

Mvnl Moderator

This post reminds me of this bizarre interlude where Nicole Scherzinger makes fun of both Alanis and Shakira.

What a gem.

londonrain and GimmeWork like this.
  3. The video isn't available in my country it says... I'm in the US so maybe it's a UK video only?

4. Mvnl

Mvnl Moderator

Look up "I Try is cool and all but".

londonrain and GimmeWork like this.
  5. Found it! Hahahaha! Yes, Nicole coming through with that accurate shade. I think I'd enjoy this more right now if I wasn't still in the bitter barn about Nicole ranking higher on this rate than so many legends. Well at least Britney and Shakira rank higher than her so...

Mvnl likes this.
  6. I had guessed this rundown entirely wrong. I had assumed that all the 80s popstars would have done the best when physical single sales were at their peak but now I fear the further we go on we are going to be overrun by digital download divas like Ellie Goulding and Jessie J...

kermit_the_frog and Baby Clyde like this.
  7. For me the way Maxwell changes the tune in multiple places makes the whole thing much warmer and more emotional. Much as I love Kate she can be a bit cold and shrill at times and here her vocal doesn't do the wonderful song justice.

kermit_the_frog and bichard like this.
  8. 32. ALEXANDRA BURKE (3,042,000)

[​IMG]

8 HITS 2008-2012

BIGGEST HIT: HALLELUJAH

You rarely match the high or the sales of your coronation X Factor winning single, and certainly it proved so for Alexandra Burke who sold 576k in her first week and a million copies in total of “Hallelujah”. Two more chart toppers followed in quick succession but a flop of a second album pretty much killed her career dead.

GimmeWork, londonrain and Mvnl like this.
  9. There's an Elephant in the room.

Booers, londonrain and Mvnl like this.
  10. 31. LILY ALLEN (3,063,000)

[​IMG]

16 HITS 2006-2013

BIGGEST HIT: THE FEAR

Remember when Myspace could launch pop careers? That’s what happened back in 2006 when Allen became a chart topper with “Smile”, her mix of forthright opinions and catchy tunes made her ideal fodder for the press and a second album proved just as popular with “The Fear” spending a month at the top. Four years later her version of “Somewhere Only We Know” gave her a third No 1 before she was back to controversy with “Hard Out There”.

Discography

Personal highlight

GimmeWork and londonrain like this.
  11. Her version of Somewhere Only We Know is criminal.

Total number of Lilly Allen songs I can stomach listening to: 1
    Total number of Lilly Alen songs I was obsessed with: 1

Sprockrooster likes this.
  12. Mvnl

Mvnl Moderator

Is it Little Things?

Have some Chinese.

GimmeWork likes this.
  13. 30. KE$HA (3,143,000)

[​IMG]

12 HITS 2009-2013

BIGGEST HIT: TIK TOK

It started out so well, signed by Dr Luke at 18 she broke as a feature artist on Flo Rida’s 2009 No 1 “Right Round” before the mighty “Tik Tok” became a massive hit. Her overtly sexual and let’s be honest, slightly trashy, image didn’t endear her to everyone but 4 more top 10 singles before the end of 2013 don’t lie. In early 2014 she went into rehab and then promptly filed a lawsuit against Dr Luke making various allegations that were eventually dismissed by the courts.

Discography

Personal highlight

14. Haha, no. The Fear. She absolutely nailed the zeitgeist on that one, her delivery was perfect (and surprisingly sexy to my ears), plus there was a decent melody and some depth to the production.

15. Mvnl

Mvnl Moderator

I get you seeing The Fear a a highlight, but find it hard to believe it's the only thing of hers you can stomach when she did quite a few similarsounding songs in that era (and the next)

16. It's usually her vocals which irk me, the style, the lyrics, the approach....I did buy the album The Fear was on, but I just couldn't get into any of the other tracks and it's sat unloved on my shelf ever since. Maybe I'll have another try!

17. Who's next? Kate Nash?

Martika did not die for this!

18. Mvnl

Mvnl Moderator

Hmm, I kinda get the vocals thing.
    I actually feel, even though she hasn't the greatest vocals, there's something (vulnerable?) to it that really works well on the slower/more sensitive songs.

Exhibit A

Even though it's slowly becoming her 'shtick' the lyrics usually also are a breathe of fresh air compared to other female popstars all singing about the same subjects.

GimmeWork and Eric Generic like this.
  19. I will have a listen to these (Going To A Town is one of my favourite Rufus Wainwright songs, and George Michael did a great version too). Nonetheless, I will never forgive her for the Keane cover!

idratherjack likes this.
  20. It was the nadir of those "authentic" wispy voiced female John Lewis Christmas advert songs as far as I was concerned.

Eric Generic likes this.