Tove Styrke | The Popjustice Forum
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tove Styrke

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by KamikazeHeart, Oct 31, 2010.

1. Album out November 12, cover:

[​IMG]

Track listing with songwriters and producers:

01 Beating On a Better Drum Berger/Berger/Styrke. Produced by Patrik Berger.
    02 Stalker In Your Speaker Berger/Berger. Produced by Patrik Berger.
    03 High And Low Berger/Berger/Styrke. Produced by Patrik Berger.
    04 Million Pieces A.Olenius/LLZ. Produced by Lotus & 2manyfreckles.
    05 Chaos Styrke/Bao. Produced by Lotus & 2manyfreckles.
    06 Bad Time For A Good Time Berger/Berger. Produced by Patrik Berger.
    07 Close Enough Ågren/Kask/Styrke. Produced by Peter Ågren and Jan Kask.
    08 Love You and Leave You Paw. Produced by Paw.
    09 Four Elements Styrke/Bao. Produced by Lotus & 2manyfreckles.
    10 Walking My Daydream Ågren/Kask/Styrke. Produced by Peter Ågren and Jan Kask.
    11 White Light Moment Ågren/Kask/Styrke. Produced by Peter Ågren and Jan Kask.

2. Re: Tove Styrke - White Light Moment & self-titled album

'White Light Moment' is fantastic. And even though I didn't really like the first single 'Million Pieces', I still think the album is gonna be great.

3. Re: Tove Styrke - White Light Moment & self-titled album

Million Pieces was pleasant, but very much an album track.

White Light Moment is like the baby cousin of Dancing On My Own and Release Me, so I was actually quite surprised to see that it wasn't Patrik Berger who had written it. Definitely looking forward to his tracks though.

Think I'll be getting tickets to see her live.

4. popknark

popknark Moderator

Re: Tove Styrke - White Light Moment & self-titled album

I'm hyper excited about this album. "White Light Moment" is excellent. I was surprised it wasn't produced by Patrik Berger too, even P3 wrongly stated it was him when playing the song the other day. The Familjen remix of "Million Pieces" is pretty great. Especially on the dancefloor. But the original version isn't that good.

I need a music video from her now!

5. popknark

popknark Moderator

Funny fact: I was listening to my local P4 radio station the other day where they have a "hit or miss" segment from local artists (Tove is from my county) and they played "White Light Moment". Two of the jury members were like "this is shit, too much synths, sounds like a big fat flop etc etc" and then the third came in and said "uum, this is my daughter singing". Haha. Awkward moment of the month! Her dad seems really sweet.

6. popknark

popknark Moderator

You can listen to a clip from an album track here:

http://vimeo.com/16312265

Again - she's quite good, that Tove.

7. Re: Tove Styrke - White Light Moment & self-titled album

Very 80's.

It'll be interesting to see if she manages to keep this all cohesive. The songs we've heard are, albeit all very pop, also very different. Although I guess that's to prefer over everything sounding the same.

8. Re: Tove Styrke - White Light Moment & self-titled album

Absolutely loving 'White Light Moment', i agree with the Robyn comparisons, in fact its almost like the production of Indestructable crossed with the anthemic feel of recent Dr Luke tracks like Teenage Dream & Raise Your Glass.

9. Re: Tove Styrke - White Light Moment & self-titled album

I think it's curious the way people is passing by this (by the samples we have) really spectacular pop release while both Cheryl & Nadine threads continue growing and growing. I thought this would find lots of love at Popjustice!

Lykke Li wrote Million Pieces by the way.

10. Re: Tove Styrke - White Light Moment & self-titled album

This sounds fantastic.

11. popknark

popknark Moderator

"White Light Moment" is better than "The Promise" and "Insatiable" put together.

12. Re: Tove Styrke - White Light Moment & self-titled album

For the Swedes, I can recommend that the album is available for pre-order at cdon.com for 99SEK, and you get it signed.

It's doing quite well on the pre-orders, only behind Bruce Springsteen.

13. Re: Tove Styrke - White Light Moment & self-titled album

Ooh I like.

14. Re: Tove Styrke - White Light Moment & self-titled album

She hasn't even turned 18 years old yet! Remarkable.

15. Re: Tove Styrke - White Light Moment & self-titled album

She's performing on Idol this Friday.

16. popknark

popknark Moderator

She's getting 100% great reviews from Sweden's major newspapers! Most of them are comparing her to Robyn.

"Styrke's self titled debut album reminds me of especially Robyn, but also Kylie Minogue and Cheryl Cole. And you can definitely have worse ideals." 4/5 (Allehanda)

"The single 'Million Pieces' gives you a good idea of the electronic pop you can find on the album, but it's also the bubbliest of the songs. The rest have a sad feeling which is put against the neon lighting tones - gorgeous, cool and with way more personality then you can expect. Is Robyn-pop a genre yet? Best track: High and Low." 4/5 (Sydsvenskan)

"Styrke has gotten songwriter help from the likes of Lykke Li and Janne Kask from Lake Heartbeat and really wants to sound like Robyn's more colourful little sister. The result isn't bad at all, especially the Kask-songs fast, elegant dance-pop." 3/5 (Dagens Nyheter)

"It shows that she's worked with good songwriters (for example Patrik Berger and Janne Kask) who've made something other than a Darinish I'll-die-if-i-don't-get-you-album (what the fuck?? //popknark's edit). It's sadder than expected". 3/6 (Gaffa)

"Tove Styrke has something big going on. The first track "Beating On A Better Drum" is straight through original as a sexy, Swedish pop song and the lyrics are brilliant and personal. Sometimes she slides over in a kitsch and less successful Melody Club-sound but between them the hits are lined up" 4/6 (Svenska dagbladet)

"She's gotten help from several big names in the music industry, for exmple Lykke Li, Shout out Louds' Louds Adam Olenius and Patrik Berger, who've produced Robyn. The album feels modern and has several strong songs ... It's going to take a while before this star stops to shine." 4/5 (Ystads Allehanda)

I could go on forever, really. I haven't read a bad review this far.

17. Re: Tove Styrke - White Light Moment & self-titled album

Here's a clip of her track Chaos: http://vimeo.com/16627337

It sounds gorgeous.

18. Re: Tove Styrke - White Light Moment & self-titled album

I'm really hyped about this record. The reviews just make me even more eager to hear it, even though the Cheryl Cole comparisons.

My only question is: if there are promo copies doing the rounds, why isn't it on the internet yet? You swedes are weird people.

19. Re: Tove Styrke - White Light Moment & self-titled album

That type of demand isn't really present domestically, and I don't even think any journalists would leak it, morally speaking.

20. Re: Tove Styrke - White Light Moment & self-titled album

Sorry, I was just kidding, I know from experience that Scandinavian releases doesn't use to leak before the official release date, or even after that. I think that says a lot about those countries, and the respect that culture and artists get there.