Tweaked rules | The Popjustice Forum
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tweaked rules

Discussion in 'Forum business' started by Popjustice, May 24, 2017.

1. Popjustice

Popjustice Administrator

Solenciennes, 2014, kal and 1 other person like this.
  2. Mvnl

Mvnl Moderator

Seems fine to me, although these lines might need some more tweaking?

Also, maybe a summary at the top (or is that what the 'here's what gets you banned' section is for?) wouldn't hurt, considering I think people most likely to break some of these rules might be the ones least likely to sit down and read 3 full pages of rules?

Also just for clarity: are GIFs fine when used as 'decoration' (like in certain rates) or when they include the act that's being discussed (like 'I loved this part of the video')? I personally feel that's a different beast from people using GIFs as today's 'emoticons'.

(also, maybe make this a sticky in the Pop & Justice section? Going by the amount of views right now I have a feeling very few people use the 'new posts' feature to see what's new on the forum and instead just browse certain supparts that aren't 'Forum Business')

Eric Generic likes this.
  3. So I can finally do away with my main sis rival @RJF

4. Popjustice

Popjustice Administrator

Thanks for that. Have amended a couple of bits to mention reaction GIFs. Will put it in the main forum once I've finished fiddling with it! And yes if someone says "this is my favourite part of the new Beyoncé video" and posts a GIF that's fine!

5. RJF

RJF

Can the search function be fixed again? I know things crashed shortly after the forum revamp and fucked up the database and it's fine for finding stuff recently but it was quite useful.

Andy French likes this.
  6. Popjustice

Popjustice Administrator

Can you start a new thread for this (also let me know what the problem is, thanks!).

7. This is the first time I've read the rules in quite a while. It's interesting because I've lurked on this forum for over ten years now, occasionally posting, and I feel like some of the rules might have made sense with the forum as it was ten years ago, but it was quite a different beast then. It's definitely morphed into something quite different over the years. I'm not expressing an opinion as to whether it's better or worse, but it's different for sure.

While many of the rules are still eminently sensible, I feel like the horse has long since bolted on people using gifs and pictures in isolation or as a reaction to something. I see this everywhere on the forum, across all boards. While I can see your point that you would often rather read someone's words than just see a gif or picture as a reaction, I think there is definitely humour than can be conveyed in the use of a particular gif or picture which can't be replicated with words. They can often function as an instant punchline in a way that a paragraph of text simply cannot.

It's not something I'm going to fight over particularly. I just wonder (and I mean this with no negative intent) whether the fact that you don't post much on the forum anymore means that you've lost touch a bit with how the general tone of the forum has changed over the years? Certainly I remember you being a lot more active on the forums back in the day then you are now. Which makes sense what with social media et al. But some of the rules do feel a bit like they were drawn up by someone who doesn't browse the forums much anymore.

I'm not really seeking any kind of intense debate or trying to force a change as to what the rules are, it was just my thoughts upon reading several of them.

Leopold and junglefish like this.
  8. Mvnl

Mvnl Moderator

Is something twisted around here, or are you actually expecting Madonna to become an exciting 'flavour of the moment' fresh face again somewhere in the future?

Tribal Spaceman and Popjustice like this.
  9. Popjustice

Popjustice Administrator

People can by all means showcase that humour on pretty much every other corner of the internet, but the rule about using words instead of images (or smileys etc) has been in place from day one on Popjustice, just like the one about ludicrous signatures. What's good about making it very clear again in the rules is that I and mods can delete posts like this without there being any confusion. Obviously if people don't get the message or agree with the rule they can choose to post elsewhere or have the decision made for them.

There are a few reasons I'm not on the forum as much now; one of them is the sense that a lot of the people here dislike me, as comes to light whenever there's a disagreement over how the forum is run, and another is that, well, like you say, the horse has bolted regarding GIFs and pictures as reactions. It makes me feel bad about how I haven't been as closely involved with the forum as I should have been and it makes me feel bad about myself. It ends up becoming a depressing/depressive spiral of course. But like I say the rule about GIFs is staying. The Popjustice forum didn't fit in with most of the internet 15 years ago when I said I didn't want smileys, and it doesn't fit in with most of the internet in 2017 when I say I don't want GIFs. The good thing is that most of the internet is — just as it's always been — only a click away. People can leave or go elsewhere if they like; plenty have done in the past and plenty have accounts elsewhere now, too.

LP, marie_05, Alouder98 and 10 others like this.
  10. We love you, Peter. Whether you post every day or not. Whenever you do drop in, there's always respect for whatever you've posted. Don't beat yourself up over having less time to join in, especially when we've all showcased during this latest tragedy how important this forum has became in our lives. I for one appreciate that you care enough to update the rules and clarify for everyone, it shows that you do care.

LP, marie_05, Filippa and 8 others like this.
  11. I find it absurd, and extremely ungrateful/disrespectful, that there could be a lot of people - christ, ANY people - on this forum who don't want Mr PJ around on the site he bloody invented!

Oh well.

blissteria, LP, Dr Pop and 9 others like this.
  12. kal

kal

@Popjustice I can only speak for myself, but if I've ever made the impression I dislike you, it was completely in jest.

This forum is a really special place on the internet, for me and many many others. It's actually the primary reason I stopped using "txt spk" around 10 years ago, not to mention all the amazing, enlightening, profound discussions I've been a part of, or have just observed.

Mvnl, alanmr and Eric Generic like this.
  13. 2014

2014 Moderator

Peter, no one would be here if wasn't for you! It's your site at the end of the day, your baby, and I'm sorry you feel it difficult to contribute more with us all.

marie_05, Filippa, Euphoria and 15 others like this.
  14. 2014

2014 Moderator

I don't know but the new layout Peter discusses here might be better and fix the problem?

15. Thank you for making this clear. Maybe it will detract some racist/sexist posters this forum has attracted lately, but at the very least it helps when reporting people to know this is explicitly stated now.

16. I think this rewrite is good and highlights some of the recent issues that have become more unclear.

Of course, this is your site despite everything, you have the choice to do with it how you want the PJ brand to be represented. I think these are great steps at being more active within the community, and I think just posting a bit more will show you there's much more good will on here then you think. Posting more will lead to more community engagement and a feeling that we aren't stranded here without moderator/owner support when things get dicey. I think we all owe you a great bit of gratitude for setting this place up in such a way where people have made this their community where they can talk respectfully and it runs fairly well with that framework in mind, so don't be shy!

All and all some good changes, I would like to see what more people within the forum who have been here for awhile think of the adjustments.

17. @Popjustice is iconic, both Peter and the forum.

I know I can be a bit brash when it comes to social justice here (and everywhere else on the 'Net), but this really is my home and I wouldn't have stayed for so long if I didn't truly feel that way. Thanks for the brush-up, looking forward to where the forum goes from here.

18. Popjustice

Popjustice Administrator

Thanks for your kind words above everyone! I don't want people to think I assume people should 'respect' me or whatever, I mean I user Twitter every day but couldn't give two fucks about what Jack Dorsey thinks, but yes I should definitely get more stuck in more frequently! X

19. Thank you Peter, for giving us wastes of oxygen a space to discuss Holly Valance's State Of Mind album.

No seriously, I love this forum and 99% of members.

VivaForever, andru, Euphoria and 11 others like this.
  20. I didn't know where to put this question, really.
    It was bothering me for years. Why me and some others have that green triangle in the corner of the avatar?
    And what does it mean? Is it good or a bad thing?

Raisin Hell likes this.