UK Politics General Discussion | Page 631 | The Popjustice Forum
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

UK Politics General Discussion

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Baby Clyde, Apr 8, 2010.

1. I'm sure they can issue a Northern Irish residency card to those of you who choose not to accept British citizenship for when you leave and re-enter the UK, similar to what China has for Taiwanese that wish to enter China... just more long term.

2. LTG

LTG

There are three options:
    1. Northern Ireland stays in the single market, while Great Britain leaves. Leads to complaints such as yours. The DUP wouldn’t pass this.
    2. The whole United Kingdom leaves the single market, border goes up in Ireland and jeopardises the Good Friday agreement.
    3. The whole United Kingdom stays in the single market, causing the Brexiters to despair about subverting the will of the people.

The whole thing is a mess, and whichever decision is made is going to upset a lot of people.

K94, Kuhleezi, phily693 and 5 others like this.
  3. Theresa sis, good luck with that March 2019 deadline you speak of.

K94, Kuhleezi, phily693 and 3 others like this.
  4. RJF

RJF

Hmm

James2009 likes this.
  5. Don't get me wrong, I'm hardly pro-UK on a whole but this is the reality we have to face during Brexit.

6. The only good thing Brexit could do would be to start the wheels turning for a united Ireland. Put that border up, see where it leads xx.

Sooyoung likes this.
  7. Sinn Fein division of PopJustice, come through!!!!

Empty Shoebox likes this.
  8. andru and Eric Generic like this.
  9. Honestly though, who on earth would want to put themselves forward for a leadership contest right now? It'll bring out all the wrong people, because a pragmatist would know that they'd inherit an even more toxic situation than Theresa did and not run, leaving just the self-serving egotists to put themselves in the race.

andru and londonrain like this.
  10. Yeah, I can’t think of anybody in the party who is likely to put themselves forward who wouldn’t also be about ten times worse than May.

andru likes this.
  11. The issue with that is half of the population would likely refuse that as Northern Irish isn't a nationality like Irish or British. They see their passport as their identity and their ability to travel, regardless of where they live. And also, more importantly, a lot of people don't see themselves as living in Northern Ireland, it's the North of Ireland, therefore would not accept those cards. It sounds pedantic but the Good Friday Agreement has essentially let this exist and us all live in harmony (well compared to before). I live abroad now but even I would riot at even the suggestion of that as a resolution.

Also by giving Northern Irish people a residency card, we're being treated differently than everyone else living in the UK. You say that it should only go to those of us that choose not to have British citizenship, well that's actually discrimination and I can already hear the complaints of being "treated as second class to the unionists." Just because I was born in Northern Ireland does not mean I should have to carry something that other British and Irish people don't.

K94, Kuhleezi, Sooyoung and 3 others like this.
  12. 4. We cancel the entire thing.

andru, nnnumb, Hudweiser and 10 others like this.
  13. I honestly don't see the UK surviving Brexit. Scotland already has one foot out the door and Northern Ireland won't like a hard border between them and Ireland. This period of British history will make for some interesting History lessons at school in 30 years time.

londonrain and andru like this.
  14. LTG

LTG

Scotland’s 2017 election result looks like a rejection of wanting a second referendum right now, but depending on what happens Northern Ireland could go.

15. The idea of Northern Ireland peacefully leaving the UK to unify with the Republic is a pipe dream.

16. Independence for us is off the table. And honestly, I’m glad. Sick of hearing about it.

Let’s just wait for Britain to implode and then we’ll sort out what we are doing then.

Eric Generic likes this.
  17. 5. Everyone wakes up and realises it was all a very shit dream.

18. A politician needs to fucking grow a backbone, remind the nation that the referedum wasn't binding, and say it's a bad idea, so let's stay in and work on the issues raised by it instead.

19. [​IMG]
    Stupid rotten newspaper.

Pecans, andru and londonrain like this.