Ultimate AlbumJustice - Send In Your All-Time Top 10 Albums (Deadline: June 23rd) | The Popjustice Forum
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ultimate AlbumJustice - Send In Your All-Time Top 10 Albums (Deadline: June 23rd)

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by DJHazey, May 13, 2017.

1. [​IMG]

Why are we doing this?

Well, we currently have Ultimate Popjustice which celebrates the forum's all-time favorite songs and we also have Ultimate Popstars which celebrates the forum's all-time favorite artists, I figured it was about time to celebrate our favorite albums too.

Why do you send 10 albums? Why not more?

There are many factors as why I decided on 10. First of all, it really makes you pick just your favorites. Also, having everyone try to think of their Top...20 for example would start to become a lengthy proposition and even more difficult. Less work for you, less work for me. But also we sent in our Top 20 songs for Ultimate Popjustice and half that number feels right. (That is currently what we do in the monthly charts -- 10 songs and 5 albums per month) Also, we have a thread on this very forum where people were asked to list their Top 10 albums with album collages that separate our favorite 8-10 from the rest, so it seems this number has always been the definitive one.

Is this one going to be delayed and/or unfinished?

In short, no. I might not be the most creative host and I might not be the best writer. I have terrible 'internet art skills' but I'm very organized and I always finish my rates. My resume may not include the most epic rates, but they get done. I have started and finished six rates across this forum. This is not meant to be shade towards any of the lovely hosts for the other 'Ultimate' countdowns, but I just want to reassure any potential voters that I am committed until the end. To insure this happens, I will be making most of the 'work' come from our voters. You'll see what I mean in a minute...

How will this be ranked?

The same way Ultimate Popjustice was ranked. Your #1 album gets 10 points and your #10 album gets 1 point, but the number of voters an album gets will effect the total points using the following scale:

One person = Total x1
    Two people = Total x1.1
    Three people = Total x1.2
    Four people = Total x1.3
    Five people = Total x1.4
    Six+ people = Total x1.5

What do you need to send to me?

Your Top 10 all-time albums, ranked from #1 to #10. You can send in EPs, Mixtapes, Soundtracks, etc. as long as it was its own release and not a re-issue. Also Greatest Hits albums are not accepted. Though it is not required, it would make it feel more personal if you provide some commentary for each album. It doesn't even have to be more than a sentence or two. Here's what is required though -- Along with each album please choose 1) Your favorite track on the album 2) The track you would recommend to a new listener 3) What you consider the most underrated track on the album. If one song falls under multiple categories for you, please mention it. I will indicate the tracks you chose when I reveal the album. Also, feel free to send in any video links you would like and I'll be sure to post them.

To help insure I get this done, albums will only have most of the regular information with them. Release date, genre, country of origin for the act, tracklist, producers/writers, etc. The personal connections and meanings: That's up to you.

What is the deadline?

Friday, June 23rd.

Last edited: May 24, 2017 at 6:33 PM
    Island, LKane, aniraz and 24 others like this.
  2. Voted.

DJHazey
    Reboot
    One Stop Candy Shop
    Petty Mayonnaise
    K94
    GimmeWork
    Alouder98
    CorgiCorgiCorgi
    Mina

Last edited: May 23, 2017 at 12:56 PM
    Island likes this.
  3. Reserved for ranking.

4. Reserved for ranking.

5. Reserved for ranking.

6. This came even sooner than I expected! Have fun, @DJHazey, I feel like you're in for one hell of a ride!

I think I've got a few that have to be here already.

DJHazey and Sprockrooster like this.
  7. 2014

2014 Moderator

This is gonna be fuuuuuuuuun!

DJHazey likes this.
  8. Yes. You are amazing for doing this @DJHazey!!

DJHazey likes this.
  9. I'm in for sure. The interest thing about this for me is that I've always thought about my ultimate singers or songs but I've never thought about my favorite albums ever, so I have no idea how my list is going to look like but I'm sure it will be very embarrassing (like always).

iheartpoptarts and DJHazey like this.
  10. So here for this! (And very glad there's no limit for how many albums you can pick from one artist nn)

11. Mvnl

Mvnl Moderator

Loving this already!
    Will be very hard and I'm sure 90% of my picks will be 'me only'.

I assume Greatest Hits don't count?

Also, I feel my favourite track/the one I'd recommend (and often also the most underrated) will very often be the same one, but obviously I'd like to represent each album with more than 1 song!

londonrain and DJHazey like this.
  12. Yes I discussed it with a few people and we decided that limiting the artist for this was pointless @Animalia, I'm ready for like seven Bjork albums.

Also Greatest Hits are no go because that kind of makes it more like you are choosing the artist instead of the album, to answer your question @Mvnl

Sprockrooster and Animalia like this.
  13. This is a really interesting idea! I'd definitely consider participating, although I fear it'll expose me as an 00s pop/rock/electronic aficionado with not much exposure to new music within the last 5-10 years.

14. Please vote because you'll just add to the mixture of tastes!

Mina likes this.
  15. Mvnl

Mvnl Moderator

I think there's only 2 albums released in the past 10 years I'd even consider for this.
    Partially because recent albums can't yet live up to ones I am still enjoying 20 years on, because those albums from back in the day when I only owned about 40 cds will always be more special, and because it's hard to battle with nostalgia.
    But there's been actually quite a few years where my so-called 'album of the year' felt like a pleasant bunch of songs at best. Classics don't come often.

Sprockrooster and Mina like this.
  16. Mvnl

Mvnl Moderator

Well, I just made a quick first preselection of.. 127 albums.. God, this is gonna be hard!
    Thinking of coming up with some kind of system, whether it's based on average song scores or something else (and is a 10-track no-filler album better than an 18-track one with 1 filler? Hard hard hard..)

londonrain and DJHazey like this.
  17. I was also sifting through my music library and preselected only 13! It was pretty easy to narrow it down to 10, though. There's a lot of great albums I didn't even preselect because I realized that my favorable opinion is tied to a handful of particularly memorable tracks, whereas the vast majority of non-singles are songs about which I don't even remember the lyrics or melody.

Any particular template you'd like us to use, @DJHazey ? I can probably knock this out in the next few days.

Mvnl and DJHazey like this.
  18. Just rank from #1 (your top album for 10 points) to #10 (your 10th album for 1 point). Have commentary, any video links, etc. and your three tracks selections with each album. I will organize from there.

iheartpoptarts likes this.
  19. Mvnl

Mvnl Moderator

I've included a ridiculous amount of albums in the preselection where I feel they got so many tracks on them I love and still have replay value after many years, yet I'd never consider naming them if anyone asked me for some of my favourite albums. I guess those will be the first ones to go.
    There's also ones that were huge favourites of mine at the time but don't quite have the same magic as they once had. And there's albums that I always mention as my alltime favourites (the kind where I'd buy a reissue in a heartbeat, even if it's just for completion sake) which I guess is what I should be looking at. In those there's also some where there's quite a few tracks that don't blow me away, but as a whole they're just great bodies of work.

20. Mvnl

Mvnl Moderator

Is a re-issue sorta okay if it's not the 'remastered 30 years later'-kind but the one that actually added new songs and singles.
    Got an album where that's the only version of the album I ever owned and listened to and some of the standouts are reissue tracks. Obviously if someone else votes for the 'original' album you can consider it the same album if that's the main concern with reissues.