Ultimate K-PopJustice Albums [#1 Revealed & I'm Done] | Page 22 | The Popjustice Forum
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ultimate K-PopJustice Albums [#1 Revealed & I'm Done]

Discussion in 'K-pop' started by Alouder98, Sep 5, 2017.

1. Apart from those horrendous dresses, the more cheeky dumb dumb outfits were a masterpieces.

2. #7. SNSD - Girls' Generation 1st Japanese Album

46 Points - @Alouder98 (9) + @Gintoki (8) + @Salami (8) @Cotton Park (7) + @Ceir (7) + @Mikl C (7)

SNSD // 7th Album :: Lion Heart (2) - Hoot (6) - Holiday Night (8) - Mr. Mr. (9) - Girls & Peace (9) - Love & Peace (12) - Girls' Generation (46)

[​IMG]

Year: 2011
    Genre: Pop
    Label: SM Entertainment / Nayutawave

Tracklist

1. Mr. Taxi
    2. Genie
    3. You-aholic
    4. Run Devil Run
    5. Bad Girl
    6. Beautiful Stranger
    7. I'm in Love with the Hero

8. Let It Rain
    9. Gee
    ☆ 10. The Great Escape ☆
    11. Hoot
    12. Born to Be a Lady

A song gets stars that all the voters chose it as one of their 3 tracks.

Best Chart Position

#1 (Oricon) #1 (Taiwan)

Sales

1.000.000+ (Japan) - Sl*y a bit. 12.000 (Korea)

Mikl C's Favorite Track

The Great Escape

From Our Voter

@Cotton Park

Favorite track: Beautiful Stranger
    Track I recommend to a new listener: The Great Escape
    Underrated: I'm In Love With a Hero

I remember actually being disappointed when I opened up the torrent I'd just finished downloading to find that all the songs were Japanese. All I wanted was "Genie" so I grabbed the first "SNSD Discography" torrent link I found, in those wonderful days when KAT was still a thing. Then I listened. I haven't stopped listening. I don't know why I was disappointed, actually, looking back. After all, one day while watching the MTV charity international simulcast, accidentally really, before I was really all that interested in KPop, I caught the last two-thirds of their "The Great Escape" performance and was completely floored. I didn't even know who they were for ages, and thought they were actually Japanese. Even when I first snickered at "Gee" after reading about how important it was, I still didn't put two and two together. I considered SNSD strictly Korean bubblegum and watched them as a guilty pleasure. But the more you watch them perform, the more you understand why they are who they are. Boundless charisma, and bigger than life performers. They're to K-Pop what, say, Led Zeppelin is to heavy metal. They didn't invent K-Pop, they just perfected it, making it sound and look like it still does today, and doing it in a timeless fashion that sounds like it was recorded yesterday. I recognized their talent and endless charm, then finally, almost ironically, I circled back to their Japanese work and was dazzled by how not bubblegum it is. The Japanese version of SNSD is a completely new sound for the devine nine and everything I wanted it to be, especially as a long-time Perfume fan. It's that good.

--------------------------------------------

@Ceir

Favorite track: You-aholic
    Underrated: Beautiful Stranger

I think I mentioned this before, but this was the album that really changed my perception of groups in Kpop. This sounded like a serious pop effort. Mr. Taxi was of course kitsch and playful, but the other new songs were so sleek and sophisticated. Even the rock breakdowns of Beautiful Stranger had this glossy sheen to them. You Aholic is honestly my favorite song, but Great Escape and that MTV Japan performance took my breath away.

---------------------------------------------

@Salami

Favorite track: Mr Taxi
    Underrated: Bad Girl

@Alouder98

Favorite track: The Great Escape

Track I recommend to a new listener: Bad Girl
    Underrated: Beautiful Stranger

(This album deserves a better write-up than this but I'm so tired now and will be busy for the next few days so this is all I could do).

A legendary album. With this album, Korea's nation girl group who were known for their cute & girly songs went to expand their career in Japan. But Japan had their own cute girl groups so SM did a smart move and showed a different and mature Girls' Generation to Japan. We all know that most of Korean acts' releases in Japan are a weak version of their Korean hits or not much better new songs. Some of them don't even sing in fluent Japanese. But SNSD debuted there with the arguably better version of Genie and one of their best songs, Mr Taxi that made some people even think they are a Japanese girl group.

Speaking of the album itself, I personally don't consider the four singles as part of the album. I don't know why but I always hate it when artists include a song that wasn't originally made for an album on the tracklist. In this album's case, it makes sense since the songs are in a different language but still, it's always an 8-track album for me.

My favorite thing about this album is that how timeless it is. And it's such an odd thing to say for an album by a Korean act since I usually find most of the classic albums only great for their time even those that I love. But honestly songs like The Great Escape, You-Aholic, Bad Girl sound like they were just recorded yesterday and I've noticed that I love the album more everytime I listen to it. Also let's not forget to mention how their performances of these songs in their different shows/tours made the songs that were already 11/10, even better for me.

As a closer: this album was one of those albums that I was really interested to see how it will do here when I started the rate and now I'm honesty so pleased with the love that it received. I mean, the only albums above it are classics and strong albums so I'm glad that ''PopJustice'' happened for my faves in a rate that we celebrate great records in it.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2017
  3. #6. Wonder Girls - Wonder World

47 Points - @Slice of Life (10) + @GeiPanda (10) + @Mikl C (9) + @LightningRider (5) + @Aries (5) + @Sanctuary (5) + @send photo (3)

[​IMG]

Year: 2011
    Genre: Dance-Pop
    Label: SM Entertainment / Nayutawave

Tracklist

1. G.N.O
    2. Be My Baby
    3. Girls Girls
    4. Me, In
    5. Sweet Dreams
    6. Stop!

7. Dear Boy
    8. Long Long Time (Sunye and Yeeun duet)
    9. SuperB (Yubin and Sohee duet)
    10. Act Cool (Hyelim featuring San E)
    11. Be My Baby (Ra.D Mix)
    12. Nu Shoes

Best Chart Position

#1 (Oricon) #1 (Taiwan)

Sales

43.000 (Korea) 1.000 (Japan)

Mikl C's Favorite Track

Be My Baby

From Our Voter

@send photo

Favorite track: SuperB - Trancy sleek numbers are my alley. LOVE this so much.

Track I recommend to a new listener: Be My Baby - Duh? The video is the greatest K-Pop video in existence and you can @ me on that one.

Underrated: G.N.O - Great strut song. Amazing album opener.

Holy hell nostalgia. I hammered the fuck out of this album. Nostalgia prevails once again.

@LightningRider

Favorite track: Girls Girls
    Track I recommend to a new listener: Stop!
    Underrated: Sweet Dream

I know Reboot is the better album, but I can’t deny it—the reason I love the Wonder Girls is nostalgia. This album will always take me back to the days before I delved fully into K-Pop and was simply obsessed with the kitschy-but-genuine pop music this album gave me. Having Girls Girl as my favourite track really says it all.

@Aries

Favorite track: Sweet Dreams
    Track I recommend to a new listener: Be My Baby
    Underrated: Me, In

@Sanctuary

Favorite track: Be My Baby

Track I recommend to a new listener: Be My Baby
    Underrated: Nu Shoes

I was unsure of putting this on here cause it somewhat sounds of its time, but it’s such a strong album for what it wants to be. It doesn’t hit the creative heights of their other projects, but it’s jammed pack with bops that overcome sounding of their time. It’s just what I associate classic kpop with as an album.

------------------------------------------

@GeiPanda

Favorite track: Stop!
    Track I recommend to a new listener: Nu Shoes
    Underrated: Stop!

@Slice of Life

Favourite song : Stop! - Now you know my 11 for the Wonder Girls rate dddddddddd. My love for this song was a journey in itself. This wasn't in my top 3 Wonder World songs when I first really got into the album. Heck, I even liked Be My Baby more than this. What a mess. But as years passed, this song quietly crept up on me. The was something so fierce and dark and confident and FEMINIST about this. This is a song dedicated to shunning your creepy admirers. I'm not lying. Read the lyrics. When will your faves??? Yenny is so, so iconic here. This song truly cemented my love for her. Her vocals just make this song a 15/10.

Song I would recommend to a new listener : Me, In - I still have no idea what that title is supposed to mean but whatever. This song is sick! Be My Baby is iconic and all but THIS SHOULD'VE BEEN THE SINGLE. OR A CO-SINGLE AT LEAST. This was used on the first teaser for the album and right then and there, I knew that this was special. This is full of personality and perfectly shows the maturity the girls developed while they languished in the US kekeke. No but seriously, this is just fresh and perfect.

Underrated song : Be My Baby - The problem with amazing albums is that the first single just couldn't contain all of the album's perfection. It just couldn't even if it tried. And Be My Baby really tried. I was one of this song's detractors when it was released. I felt like it isn't representative of the album's sound. And yeah, that point still stands. But regardless, Be My Baby is a pop behemoth. It is slick. It is classy. It is tasteful. And it bops. The live performances (THAT M COUNTDOWN COMEBACK STAGE) are all lit too.

There was no freaking way another album will get my 10. Like, I briefly flirted with the idea of making The Red or Pink Tape my 10 but no, I couldn't do that to Wonder World. Not when this album was the very first K-Pop album that I stanned.

STORY TIME! It was late 2011. I was at home, heartbroken because I had to leave school. I didn't know then that I was suffering from depression, anxiety, and panic disorder. I just knew that I had to take a rest for my health. I loved studying. I loved being in school. This may sound like a total lie but I truly loved learning and shit. So leaving school was a major moment in my life that truly scarred me. It changed me. Literally and figuratively. And I knew I had to find a way to get back on my feet, fight my demons and rise above the occasion. It was not a pretty journey. But I persevered. I couldn't enjoy TV shows. I couldn't fully get into movies. I couldn't write even I tried my hardest. I couldn't talk to my friends because I didn't want to see the pity in their eyes. I was running out of options. But for some reason, I was responding positively to K-pop music. I followed countless forums but never joined. I mean, why would I join the Allkpop forum? Gross. But I did discover awesome music through these forums. And one of those is Wonder World, the comeback album of the Wonder Girls after their US trip ddddd. LORDTTTTTTTTTTTTT. I never listened to full K-Pop albums back then. Yes, even though I stanned 2NE1, I paid their albums dust. But Wonder World truly opened my eyes. Like after listening to it and getting my life, I knew I had to listen to more K-Pop music. Not just the singles but the albums. My journey towards becoming a full K-Pop stan started there. If it wasn't for this album, maybe I stopped listening to K-Pop music already. I wouldn't be here today, no joke. What a dark thought. So for that, Wonder World is my top album and I will sing it praises till the day I die.

4. And as you probably know by now, our top 5 are....

Pink Tape

[​IMG]

Reboot

[​IMG]

4 Walls

[​IMG]

Absolute First Album

[​IMG]

Red Light

[​IMG]

5. Ideally :
    1/ Reboot
    2/ 4 Walls
    3/ Absolute
    4/ Pink Tape
    5/ Red Light

send photo, Ceir and Alouder98 like this.
  6. Absolute
    4 walls
    Red Light
    Pink Tape
    Reboot

Please.

Alouder98 likes this.
  7. 4 Walls
    Reboot
    Red Light
    Pink Tape

I don’t even now who Absolute is. T-Ara?

Alouder98 likes this.
  8. Savage unnie.

Yep.

9. I"M A FUCKING FLOP because the notifications stopped coming for this thread!
    And I also had a 4 day B'Day bash, but still!
    How fucking iconic is the fact that f(x) has 3 fucking albums in the TOP5? LEGENDS ONLY.

10. Realistically

1. Reboot
    2. 4 Walls
    3. Absolute
    4. Red Light
    5. Pink Tape

Ideally
    1. Pink Tape
    2. 4 Walls
    3. Red Light
    4. Reboot
    5. Absolute

kii

Alouder98 likes this.
  11. Me at this f(x) dominance:
    [​IMG]

Slice of Life, Serg., Ceir and 2 others like this.

12. Besides the absolute fact that it is the best track on Wonder World... I also appreciate that the intro for Stop! sounds like the Buffy the Vampire Slayer theme tune.

Slice of Life and Alouder98 like this.
  13. He

He

@Slice of Life, thank you for sharing that story. I'm glad you're in a better place now.

14. I will need a memoir of all @Slice of Life's commentary. Thank you so much for sharing.

Slice of Life, He and Alouder98 like this.
  15. #5. f(x) - Red Light

57 Points - @LightningRider (10) + @Salami (9) + @karmarisma (9) + @vikeyeol (9) + @Serg. (7) + @eccentricsimply (6) + @Ceir (5) + @ryan_riot92 (2)

[​IMG]

Year: 2014
    Genre: Synthpop/Hip Hop/EDM
    Label: SM Entertainment

Tracklist

1. Red Light
    2. MILK
    3. Butterfly
    4. Rainbow
    5. All Night
    6. Vacance
    7. Spit It Out

8. Boom Bang Boom
    9. Dracula
    10. Summer Lover
    11. Paper Heart

Best Chart Position

#1 (Gaon) #2 (US World)

Sales

94.000 (Korea) 7.000 (Japan)

From Our Voter

@LightningRider

Favorite track: Butterfly
    Track I recommend to a new listener: Spit It Out
    Underrated: Vacance

You could place any of f(x)’s full-lengths within the Top 10 of K-Pop’s best albums, but I choose Red Light because it’s probably their weirdest. The gun-clocking percussion in Milk, the random noise assaults in Spit It Out and Boom Bang Boom, when they turn into a 70s glam rock band on Vacance… the fact that they meld of all these with catchy pop hooks is just a testament to how f(x) are a one-of-a-kind group in pop’s history.

@ryan_riot92

Favorite track: Rainbow
    Track I recommend to a new listener: Butterfly
    Underrated: Rainbow

I had to fight with myself on whether to include this album or “Pinocchio” because I love both albums so much but they don’t have as much impact on me as Pink Tape and 4 Walls do. I chose Red Light because it more special for me personally than Pinocchio. I was there for this comeback and was waiting on the edge of my seat for it from the day it was announced. It did not disappoint! The album was a bit darker but it still maintained that f(x) vibe. Among my favorites are “Red Light”, “MILK”, “Rainbow”, “All Night”, and “Dracula”.

@Salami

Favorite track: Rainbow
    Track I recommend to a new listener: Milk
    Underrated: Dracula

@karmarisma

Favorite track: Red Light

Track I recommend to a new listener: Dracula
    Underrated: All Night

As an absolute believer in the Pink Tape Bible. I thought that it could never be bested, and boy was I proved wrong a short year later. What I love about Red Light is that it is EXPERIMENTAL (good meaning good not bad), but you can choose to see it as an inspirational message to society or you can just see the album as a B O P. Every song is so different from the other but it sounds perfect together. The first half of the album (from Red Light - All Night) is better than the discographies of at least 90% of the Kpop groups out there.

It's like the dream team of disco, trashy bops (Spit Out being the ultimate booty pop anthem), and genuine vocal highlights, but it's also so dark, convoluted and cryptic at the same time. f(x) was really one step ahead the trends and I still think that no girl groups have managed to come close to this level of success with a 'dark concept' (Dreamcatcher and Fiester have tried though). Also if the song wasn't good enough, Red Light was all about the V I S U A L S. Even being the notorious boy group stan that I am, I splurged on buying the deluxe Taiwan edition of Red Light (Wild Cats Ver.) because I wanted my high quality prints of blonde Krystal, and the ICONIC BLUNA being hot. All the unnies were smoking, the military outfits were incredible and they were FIERCE. (Ovaries explode with Luna does her high note)
    TL;DR

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

------------------------------------------

@eccentricsimply

Favorite track: All Night
    Track I recommend to a new listener: Red Light, All Night, Summer Lover
    Underrated: Paper Heart

I have a really hard time whenever I have to choose what my favorite f(x) album is. It mostly depends on my mood. That said, I claimed Red Light was my favorite for a really long time. There's something inherently incredible about the feeling of this album. It's amazing how they managed to mix their light vocals with this darker atmosphere that seems present in all of the songs, even in ones that are not as blatantly heavy such as MILK, Rainbow and Summer Lover. What makes it so amazing for me it's how incredibly different from Pink Tape this album is and yet it's undeniable that they are albums from the same group. The Red Light MV is particularly striking and the song being about the Sewol accident makes it that extra painful. Some of f(x)'s best B-sides are present in this album and it makes me wish I was around to experience this era. Also, that remix of Dracula they performed at their concert was seriously the shit.

@Ceir

Favourite song : Spit It Out
    Song I would recommend to a new listener : All Night
    Underrated song : Dracula

This whole album is just glorious. Of course Red Light is good, Milk and All Night are funky and cute. Spit It Out and Boom Bang Boom are just weirdly amazing. Dracula pairs up with Red Light to be the "darker" songs on the album. The whole thing isn't exactly cohesive, but I wasn't ever bothered by it.

@Serg.

Favourite song : MILK
    Song I would recommend to a new listener : Rainbow

----------------------------------------------

@vikeyeol

Favourite song : MILK
    Song I would recommend to a new listener : All Night

f(x) is a serious contender for my all time favorite girl group. Some kind of take them as a dumb group lyrically because their lyrics can be quite abstract, but I don't think they're so much nonsensical as they are just ridiculous and grandiose. I get why that would turn some people off, but personally I love that they get these insane concepts for otherwise cliche topics.

For example 'Spit It Out' encompasses the feeling of falling for someone you never intended to have feelings for with a metaphor of a guy accidentally cannibalizing their heart, 'Rainbow' basically paints a picture of love as a prolonged acid trip, and in my fav 'Milk' they talk about drenching their heart in milk to soothe the burn of being left by a lover. Add all this onto some amazing production and melodies, and you've got everything I need from a pop group.

While all of their albums are great (Yes, even Pinocchio!) I think Red Light is them at their very best. You've got 80s, you've got camp, you've got Bollywood, you've got trap, and probably the kitchen sink too and I'm here for every bit of it.

16. Bowing out at #5? It deserves much higher.

Alouder98 likes this.
  17. He

He

Great album.

I still want the sleepy cat version.

I think it'll be

1-Absolute
    2-Reboot
    3-Pink Tape
    4-4walls

Alouder98 likes this.
  18. Is it weird that the first time I heard Butterfly it made me cry?

Cotton Park and Alouder98 like this.
  19. [​IMG]

Kuhleezi, Island, Ceir and 2 others like this.
  20. binch

Island, junglefish and Alouder98 like this.