Ultimate K-PopJustice Albums [#1 Revealed & I'm Done] | Page 23 | The Popjustice Forum
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ultimate K-PopJustice Albums [#1 Revealed & I'm Done]

Discussion in 'K-pop' started by Alouder98, Sep 5, 2017.

1. KONGDAK KONGDAK KONGDAK KONGDAK KONGDAK KONGDAK MUJIGAE

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Red Light is such a fun album.

3. Imma listen to The Red and Crush now.

I'm ready to stan Red Velvet so I need to be ready for their material before the album next week.

4. I'm so jealous you still have songs to discover. Red Velvet are incredible.

5. #4. f(x) - 4 Walls

60 Points - @Cotton Park (10) + @Salami (10) + @ryan_riot92 (9) + @eccentricsimply (9) + @Ceir (8) + @vikeyeol (7) + @junglefish (4) + @He (3)

[​IMG]

Year: 2015
    Genre: Synthpop/Electropop
    Label: SM Entertainment

Tracklist

1. 4 Walls
    2. Glitter
    3. Deja Vu
    4. X
    5. Rude Love

6. Diamond
    7. Traveler (featuring Zico of Block B)
    8. Papi
    9. Cash Me Out
    10. When I'm Alone

Best Chart Position

#1 (Gaon) #1 (US World)

Sales

81.000 (Korea) 3.700 (Japan) 1.000 (US)

From Our Voter

@eccentricsimply

Favorite track: Rude Love
    Track I recommend to a new listener: 4 Walls, Traveler, Papi
    Underrated: X

The sequence of Pink Tape - Red Light - 4 Walls represents a lot of growth, in my opinion. Not necessarily in quality - though I do feel like 4 Walls was a step higher than Red Light, Pink Tape is probably in the same level as 4 Walls and maybe a tiny bit higher, depending on the day. But 4 Walls is a mature album, the sound is more mature than their other music, the feel of the album is more mature, the aesthetic, everything shows how much f(x) has grown not only as artists but as women as well. Sulli's charisma is missed, for sure, but I don't know if her absence in this album is a bad thing. On the contrary, I think f(x) did something incredible by managing to make this sound work so well with the four of them in a way that I can't bring myself to imagine what this album would sound like if Sulli was still in the group. 4 Walls is a monster of a track - albeit not as experimental as either Rum Pum Pum Pum and Red light, and also trying to fit into the deep house trend that was very present in 2015, it's just so extremely well executed, it sets the bar really high and contradicts anyone who claims you can't make good music with overused trends. Something SM does really well is that when a group has a very specific concept and sound, they have such a quality control that everything said group releases is well within their concept and sound, no matter how different the music they release is. 4 Walls falls when into it, of sounding like an f(x) album even with the more mature sound and even while missing a member.

--------------------------------------------

@Ceir

Favorite track: Rude Love
    Track I recommend to a new listener: 4 Walls
    Underrated: Traveler

Deep breath: I LOVE LDN NOISE!.

4 Walls, Rude Love, and Papi were all done by them. These glorious house tracks that each hit different emotions, but can be played together and sound cohesive. X is another highlight. And Traveler is probably the one track I see no love for, but it's a gem to me.

---------------------------------------------

@Salami

Favorite track: 4 Walls
    Track I recommend to a new listener: Cash Me Out

@Cotton Park

Favorite track: When I'm Alone

Track I recommend to a new listener: Rude Love

The first time I saw f(x) they were getting blown away by After School in some dance-off competition show. At the time I was still hovering around the fringes of KPop, usually just plucking 'sexy concept' standards to add to my dancepop-heavy playlists, i.e., Girl's Day, AOA, anything by Brave Brothers, etc. In the show, f(x) did a perky version of "Electric Shock" in their typically horrid 2012 outfits, but then AS blew the doors off the place with a fierce and killer version of "Flashback." No contest. Just the same, I kind of tucked that impression of f(x) away, and little by little "Electric Shock" and then "Rum Pum Pum Pum" would find their way to my playlists, including my off-hours Sunday at work playlists. Unlike the weekday staff, the Sunday crew is very musically open-minded, and the f(x) cuts, seemed to be memorable, exotic and cute to them. I didn't really like "Red Light" (it's my cellphone ringtone now), but when I saw that f(x) had released a new album at work, I mentioned to the other two nearby, "Hey, the Rum Pum Pum Pum girls have a new album. Wanna listen?" So, obtaining their consent, with "butterfly" as a safeword, I played the whole thing while we worked. As the last few atmospheric notes of "When I'm Alone" drifted off, and a few seconds of nothing but silence, I heard our 62-year-old receptionist, a former reggae singer, from down the hall, "That was fuckin' awesome." My office mate to my left nodded, and just said, "Again." I loved the album immediately, and began downloading all of f(x)'s material, becoming smitten with almost all of it, and kind of shocking some of my music nerd friends by talking openly about them. (It's amazing how people talk incessantly about diversity and inclusiveness then give you a weird look when you say something nice about K-Pop.) But 4 Walls is a distinct departure for f(x). Instead of the wonderfully motley collection of eclectic pop from Electric Shock, Pink Tape and Red Light, 4 Walls is sleekly coordinated and distinctly electronic. From the enigmatic, almost other worldly title track to the minimalist gems like "Traveler" or "X" to the compelling and passionate "Rude Love" and the effervescent "Glitter" and "Deja Vu," the production is clean and musically economical with not a single note is out of place. The production and writing is still as inventive as previous f(x) tracks, but more than anything, its the members of f(x) make it shine, offering a vocal kaleidoscope of harmonies and overlapping leads, displaying a vocal and artistic maturity that puts it ahead of their others on this list. I kinda like it.

------------------------------------------

@junglefish

Favorite track: Papi
    Track I recommend to a new listener: 4 Walls
    Underrated: Rude Love

@ryan_riot92

Favourite song : Rude Love
    Song I would recommend to a new listener : Rude Love
    Underrated song : Traveler

The epitome of why I love f(x). The first album without Sulli as a member the impact of 4 members was so prominent. It was kind of a kii. This album exudes such a different style and sound from the rest of K-Pop. True trend-setting queens. The majority of this album is heavily influenced by the 90s house sound with a modern spin alongs with some power anthems and your typical f(x) flair. I was a bit disappointed that they chose to promote “Diamond” with “4 Walls” because I felt they had better material on the album to showcase. My personal favorites from this album are “4 Walls”, “Deja Vu”, “Rude Love”, “Traveler, and “Papi”. It seems like f(x) just keep getting better and better!

@He

Favourite song : 4 Walls
    Song I would recommend to a new listener : 4 Walls
    Underrated song : Papi

----------------------------------------------

@vikeyeol

Favourite song : X
    Song I would recommend to a new listener : Papi
    Underrated song : Traveler

I was so worried for this album with a member departure (especially a member whose voice added a lot to their songs like Sulli) usually leads to messiness and a decrease in quality, not to mention having to follow up on the amazing Red Light. However, they thankfully slayed my buss as they always do and left me feeling stupid for doubting them.

This is the most mature and self assured they've ever sounded, and all killer no filler. This is an improved Pink Tape (don't kill me for the blasphemy, Pink Tape stans) for me. They have this incomparable and confident aura oozing throughout the album that makes it feel so powerful. I think it's exemplified in songs like X, where it has PG-13 lyrics but is possibly their most sensual song for me. They make first base sound like an orgasm when they change the "our hands touched" line in that final explosive chorus to "our lips touched".

Amber improved IMMENSELY, she must have eaten Sulli's soul when she left or something. Before she always veered on being a detriment to their songs with her unfortunate "raps", they weren't even good in a funny, ironiconic way like Minho from SHINee - but here? She's legitimately good and the raps feel at home on the songs rather than an intrusion, and when she does sing it's gorgeous.

ALSO, CARLY RAE JEPSEN!! That is all, thank you.

6. He

He

Agh, I love this album. I have the physical.

I remember watching 4Walls and thinking oh my fucking God (I only knew View after this). I loved the narrative of the video (shout out to LOONA for expanding on this), how understated and mature and gorgeous it all seemed.

And the stages were so lit! Luna was serving like the queen she is. And they all looked and sounded amazing; for like a week before Victoria left again.

It sold so well, why doesn't SM want them back together? Ugh.

7. Oh wow.

Cotton Park, Ceir and Alouder98 like this.
  8. What was the f(x) performance where Amber actually wore a skirt? Was it for Rum Pum Pum Pum, Red Light, or 4 Walls? I REMEMBER SEEING THIS!

Cotton Park and Alouder98 like this.
  9. YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES at Pink Tape being considered their best by this forum. YEEEEEEEEEEES!
    [​IMG]

10. All of f(x)'s albums are amazing.

It's a shame that the Electric Shock mini doesn't get more love, since it's absolutely brilliant. ("Zig Zag", "Jet", "Let's Try", "Beautiful Stranger", title track, c'mon... seriously amazing stuff...) It's also my favorite album cover.
    [​IMG]
    I should have listed it, but I concentrated on full albums since there was too many to choose from.

Slice of Life, evilsin and Alouder98 like this.
  11. Transcendent.

Slice of Life, Salami, He and 2 others like this.
  12. All this love for Traveler!

13. So the bronze medal goes to.....

[​IMG]

#3. f(x) - Pink Tape

62 Points - @Aries (10) + @eccentricsimply (10) + @He (8) + @Slice of Life (8) + @ryan_riot92 (7) + @evilsin (7) + @karmarisma (6) + @Salami (6)

[​IMG]

Year: 2013
    Genre: Synthpop/Electropop
    Label: SM Entertainment

Tracklist

1. Rum Pum Pum Pum
    2. Shadow
    3. Pretty Girl

4. Kick
    5. Signal
    6. Step

7. Goodbye Summer
    8. Airplane
    9. Toy
    10. No More
    11. Snapshot

12. Ending Page​

Best Chart Position

#1 (Gaon) #1 (US World)

Sales

104.000 (Korea) 11.000 (Japan)

From Our Voter

@eccentricsimply

Favorite track: Signal
    Track I recommend to a new listener: Rum Pum Pum Pum, Pretty Girl, Shadow
    Underrated: Airplane, Snapshot

There was a time I didn't enjoy this album a third as much as I enjoy it now. I never really paid actual attention to it, so it flew over my head just how special this album is. For starters that title track is out of this world. Rum Pum Pum Pum is not only one of the most interesting kpop tracks I've ever listened to but it's also one of the most interesting tracks ever. There's a little bit of everything but it's well-structured in a way that makes every bit of it a pleasure to listen to. There's a pounding bass that never goes away and a freaking samba part, yet it never stops working. Then every single song in this album is worth a listen - it's a great album overall but also an album that is comprised of great songs you can listen to individually and enjoy them just as much. I honestly think this album is underrated - not because people don't enjoy it or value, but because they don't do it enough. Not to mention that this feels, to me, like a division between when f(x) made bad to average music to when they started to really cement their artistry and create albums that are worth listening beginning to end. This sounds and feels like a masterpiece, and it's why I wouldn't hesitate before adding it to a list of my favorite albums ever.

@Aries

Favorite track: Airplane
    Track I recommend to a new listener: Shadow
    Underrated: I think most people know the album so...

@karmarisma

Favorite track: Rum Pum Pum Pum
    Track I recommend to a new listener: Step
    Underrated: Shadow, No More

This was actually the first Kpop album I listened to from start to finish and I remember being floored. Every single song had its own identity, and managed to stand out from the rest - but at the same time, they also worked together so perfectly. My stand-outs were Shadow (it's kind of haunting) and Krystal's voice works so well, the groovy Signal (sorry Twice, f(x) did it better), Step (I don't know what the lyrics are but I feel empowered), Airplane, and No More (fun fact: Ariana Grande wrote it). What I really miss about Sulli being in f(x) is the playfulness their songs used to have - especially with the talk-rapping in Toy andSnapshot.

Literally everything about this album is perfect - from the packaging (just got my Pink Tape in the mail yesterday and the artsy pictures, and VCR-themed packaging is such a treat), to just how well f(x) deliver this artsy, 'innocent' concept. Also, f(x) is basically the reason why the Kpop industry is plagued with tennis skirts, but no one's managed to top them. The artfilm teaser they released is still one of the most unique concepts I've seen. Also, pink Krystal was a THING, Sulli was serving some severe attractiveness and people were just starting to realise that Luna is an absolute Goddess. *sips tea milkshake*

[​IMG]

@Salami

Favorite track: Step
    Track I recommend to a new listener: Rum Pum Pum Pum
    Underrated: Toy

@evilsin

Favorite track: Rum Pum Pum Pum
    Track I recommend to a new listener: Airplane
    Underrated: Step

@ryan_riot92

Favourite song : Pretty Girl
    Song I would recommend to a new listener : Signal
    Underrated song : Step

My first official K-Pop album that I purchased physically! It will forever hold a special place on my shelf of albums. This album felt so different from the other K-Pop albums I had gotten into when I first got into the genre. After listening to this album in it’s entirety, I knew that f(x) would end up becoming my favorite K-Pop group and they still are today. Other than RPPP, I love “Shadow”, “Pretty Girl”, “Signal”, “Step” and “Airplane” but the entire album is full of unique and quirky gems!

@He

Favourite song : Rum Pum Pum Pum
    Song I would recommend to a new listener : Rum Pum Pum Pum
    Underrated song : Toy

@Slice of Life

Favourite song : Airplane - This is easily in my top 5 favourite songs of all time - K-pop and otherwise. This is a masterclass in pop music. The amount of happiness I get from listening to this is unparalleled. Seriously, how did this song not solve all of humankind's illnesses? If I could nominate one song to be displayed in the Louvre or the MoMa, you bet Airplane would be it. A proper wig moment.

Song I would recommend to a new listener : Step - I mean, how was this not a single??? This is screaming for a music video, a sick choreography that could've been f(x)'s ticket to legendary status, etc. Like seriously, can you imagine the amount of shaking and crying that this would've caused? Another song that is just the epitome of f(x) music. Can Red Velvet cover this and release this as a single???

Underrated song : Rum Pum Pum - This is honestly my most favourite f(x) single yet. Red Light and 4 Walls are arguably more forward-thinking songs and deserve all the stannage they get. But Rum Pum Pum is just a little more perfect to me. Maybe it's the Krystal-Luna section where they sing different verses at the same time. Maybe it's the cowboy music extravaganza of it all. It truly hurts me to see this dragged by heathens for its supposed imperfections. I wish more people would recognize the quiet genius of Rum Pum Pum.

So we've reached the finale.

[​IMG]

Two iconic girl groups with iconic discographies

[​IMG]

A classic from late 2000s

[​IMG]

A modern classic

[​IMG]

Which one will win the title of Ultimate KPJ Album?? And which one will become #2 by 10-points difference?? Find out tomorrow!

[​IMG]

14. He

He

Hehe, I was right.

Pink Tape is amazing.

I actually really want to get Pink Tape, Absolute First Album, and Reboot in physical. But the latter is impossible to find, which saddens me so fucking me.

I should secure the other two.

Alouder98 likes this.
  15. I love that you all love f(x). If only SM did.

16. @Alouder98 forgot to post my thoughts on Pink Tape so here it is...

Ahh, this album. This album became my gateway to the awesomeness that is f(x). I have been aware of their reputation as K-Pop's eccentric-pop queens but for some reason, none of their albums knocked my ass off. I mean, I love their singles but I just couldn't fully get into their entire discography. Enter Pink Tape. And wow, unnies, my wig, my scalp, my hypothalamus, all flew to distances unknown to man. This album is just brimming with pop confections that will surely brighten and sweeten your day. The production throughout the album is stellar. I mean, I can appreciate the girls' vocals but the production truly took centerstage here. Even now that I'm listening to it again for the millionth time, I still discover quirk after quirk. This album is like a treasure trove full of pop secrets. I would love to study this in detail one day... when I'm bored with the KPJC and the Shaman Unnie character finally goes stale ddddddd. But until then, I'll just quietly listen to this masterpiece and marvel at its lofty pop ambitions.

17. So what is our runner-up album??

[​IMG]

#2. T-ara - Absolute First Album/Breaking Heart

68 Points - @Gintoki (10) + @He (9) + @Ceir (9) + @junglefish (8) + @ryan_riot92 (8) + @LightningRider (7) + @GeiPanda (7) + @Mikl C (5) + @Alouder98 (5)

T-ara // 4th Album :: Funky Town (1) - And & End (5) - Mirage (6) - Absolute (68)

[​IMG]

Year: 2009
    Genre: Dance-Pop
    Label: MBK Entertainment

Tracklist

1. One & One
    2. Like the First Time
    3. Bo Peep Bo Peep

4. Tic Tic Toc
    5. Bye Bye
    6. Apple is A
    7. Falling U

8. You You You
    9. Lies (Dance Ver.)
    10. T.T.L (Time To Love) (featuring Choshinsung)

11. Lies (Slow Ver.)
    12. T.T.L Listen.2 (featuring Choshinsung)
    13. Good Person
    14. Wanna Play?
    15. I Go Crazy Because of You
    16. I'm In Pain

Best Chart Position

#2 (Korea)

Sales

31.000+ (Hanteo)

Mikl C's Favorite Track

Like the First Time

From Our Voter

@ryan_riot92

Favorite track: Like the First Time
    Track I recommend to a new listener: Bo Peep Bo Peep
    Underrated: Falling U

Literally wall to wall bops filled to the brim with fantastic electro and disco elements. You got some massive jams in “Lie”, “Time To Love” and the infamous “Bo Peep Bo Peep”. Even the intro track is stellar! It’s a shame “One of One” is so short! My personal favorite track on this album and probably my absolute favorite T-ARA track period is “Like The First Time”. Literally any track on this album is title track worthy. Any person who didn’t put this album on their list obviously has never listened to it.

@junglefish

Favorite track: Like the First Time
    Track I recommend to a new listener: I Go Crazy Because of You
    Underrated: Bye Bye

@Ceir

Favorite track: ONE AND ONE
    Track I recommend to a new listener: ONE AND ONE
    Underrated: ONE AND ONE

I remember hearing Bo Peep for the first time and thinking that I needed to check this group out.
    I just straight up played the album and as soon as One and One came on I was 1,807% on board with this group.

(Remove Good Person from your library). This whole album is just a spectrum of cute to dark and gritty. One and One is the full single that never was. But, Tic Tic Toc and Bye Bye are the non-single highlights.

@He

Favorite track: I Go Crazy Because of You
    Track I recommend to a new listener: TTL
    Underrated: Like the First Time

@LightningRider

Favorite track: Bye Bye
    Track I recommend to a new listener: Like the First Time
    Underrated: Lies (Dance Ver.)

Does anything need to be said? K-Pop’s first great album remains one of its best. This is packed with more bops than it has any right to.”

@GeiPanda

Favourite song : I'm Really Hurt
    Song I would recommend to a new listener : One & One
    Underrated song : Lies

@Alouder98

Favourite song : Bye Bye
    Song I would recommend to a new listener : One & One
    Underrated song : Apple is A

A classic. Honestly I didn't think about putting this album on my list when I started the rate but when I listened to it again, and remembered all the beautiful melodies on it, I immediately added it. You guys will probably disagree with me on what do I think of this album but the album is actually kinda weird (in a good way) for me. It's cute and girly but at the same mature. It sounds like one of those albums that are made for their time and it's maybe even a bit dated but at the same time it's fresh enough to fall in love with it in 2017 (yeah I listened to it in January of this year for the first time). It sounds like a messy album sometimes but at the same time, I find it a consistent album that shows T-ara's signature sound at its best. It's a bit sad that we never got a second full album from T-ara but at least we know the one time they did it, they absolutely nailed it.

18. And obviously the winner is....

[​IMG]

#1. Wonder Girls - Reboot

78 Points - @Sanctuary (10) + @He (10) + @junglefish (9) + @Mikl C (8) + @vikeyeol (8) + @Salami (7) + @Alouder98 (7) + @Gintoki (7) + @send photo (7) + @ryan_riot92 (5)

[​IMG]

Year: 2015
    Genre: Synthpop/Electropop/Pop Rock/Hip Hop/Chillwave
    Label: JYP Entertainment

Tracklist

1. Baby Don't Play
    2. Candle (feat Palpalto)
    3. I Feel You
    4. Rewind
    5. Loved
    6. John Doe
    7. One Black Night

8. Back
    9. Oppa (Hyelim solo)
    10. Faded Love

11. Gone
    12. Remember

Best Chart Position

#5 (Gaon) #2 (US World)

Sales

13.000 (Korea) - Get taste @South Korea

Mikl C's Favorite Track

One Black Night

From Our Voter

@Alouder98

Favorite track: One Black Night
    Track I recommend to a new listener: Baby Don't Play
    Underrated: Faded Love

Any winner other than this wouldn't feel right to be honest. Wonder Girls, Queens of retro music, decided to write and produce their own album for their long-waited comeback and they completely killed it. We use terms like "where's my wig?", "I'm bald" and "Iconic" for like every acts these days but this album is the definition of iconic and the true moment when you feel bald by listening to a K-Pop album. It's just K-Pop at its 11/10.

@Sanctuary

Favorite track: Baby Don't Play
    Track I recommend to a new listener: I Feel You
    Underrated: One Black Night

This is such an obvious choice, but it really is such a victory in every single way. Nearly every song works and everything about it is so unique. Such an underrated masterclass in kpop.

@junglefish

Favorite track: I Feel You
    Track I recommend to a new listener: John Doe
    Underrated: One Black Night

@ryan_riot92

Favorite track: Rewind
    Track I recommend to a new listener: One Black Night
    Underrated: Oppa

Queens of retro! This album is non-stop bangers all infused with that 80s sound. It was literally what it’s title insinuated, a reboot of the Wonder Girls. The band concept was something new to the group and really worked in their favor for this comeback. With so many fantastic choices for a lead single, I don’t believe “I Feel You” was the right one but I understand why it was chosen. My personal favorites probably match most of the forums general opinion: “Baby Don’t Play”, “Candle”, “Rewind”, “One Black Night” and “OPPA”.

@He

Favorite track: Rewind
    Track I recommend to a new listener: Baby Don't Play
    Underrated: Faded Love

@send photo

Favourite song : Loved - Ddd bye I played this on repeat after a guy didn't work out.

Song I would recommend to a new listener : Oppa - Mostly for the name but still a bop and a half.

Underrated song : One Black Night - It's a bit trancy, sold.

This is their best album, perfect all kill 10 teebs. One of the best reinventions ever, Madonna wishes. I wish we got at least one more album out of it, wah.

@Salami

Favourite song : Candle
    Song I would recommend to a new listener : One Black Night
    Underrated song : Baby Don't Play

@Slice of Life

Favourite song : Oppa
    Song I would recommend to a new listener : Rewind
    Underrated song : Faded Love

The best album of the 80s and it's not even from the 80s, literally a Korean E•MO•TION. This album is still just as amazing, if not more, than the first time I heard it. I knew the Wonder Girls were K-Pop legends, but I'd never gotten into them beyond a few songs and their solos, and then this just left me in awe. Even the token ballads are beyond stunning and affecting, and the upbeat songs, WHEW, they are the literal definition of a banger. You have super sexy (Candle, Baby Don't Play, I Feel You, One Black Night) jams, melancholic (Faded Love, Gone, Rewind) stunners, and carefree (Oppa, Back) anthems. I wish I could say more about it but I'd just be gushing ad-nausem about how flawless everything is, and I know y'all will have more articulate analysis-es.

19. And yeah that's it guys (I still have individual ballots to post next week though). When I started the rate, I was a bit worried if the theme is not gonna work for the sub-forum like it did in the main forum since ,you know, the bar for rates is actually higher here, don't @ me main forumers. But I hope I've reached my goal that was to run a rate that people can share their favorite albums with others and discover new albums in it. I've updated the first page with links to all albums, datas etc. by the way, so you guys can visit the rate at any time and discover new music if you desire.

Also thanks to everyone who participated, wrote comments/essays for each album, followed the rate, (liked the posts, kekeke) and helped the rate to not flop in any form. Love you guys so much <3

[​IMG]

*runs back to study for two exams that are coming in the next few days*