Utada Hikaru | The Popjustice Forum
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Utada Hikaru

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by Osiris, Aug 9, 2010.

1. "Utada’s blog and official website have both been updated with some big news: Utada will be releasing “Utada Hikaru SINGLE COLLECTION VOL. 2″ this fall, which will include all singles since “Dareka no negai ga kanau koro” plus an additional 4-5 new tracks. No release date has been set.

Additionally, Utada mentions on her blog that, starting next year, she will take a sabbatical from her career to focus on areas of her life outside of music. She does not detail a timeframe for her break, but does mention she will begin releasing music again at some point in time. Utada says she wants to leave with a bang, which is why she is releasing the single collection and new tracks, along with starring in an upcoming unnamed TV commercial."

Source: http://blog.utada2.net/?p=1731

According to her official website, Single Collection Vol. 2 will include the following songs:

誰かの願いが叶うころ
    Be My Last
    Passion
    Keep Tryin'
    This Is Love
    ぼくはくま
    Flavor Of Life -Ballad Version-
    Beautiful World
    Kiss & Cry
    HEART STATION
    Stay Gold
    Prisoner Of Love

She says on her blog that the album should be out in Autumn and that she's already completed 4 new songs for it and she will try to include a 5th one.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2014
  2. Re: Utada Hikaru - Single Collection Vol. 2 / Break from music announcement

I thought she was already on a break?

3. Re: Utada Hikaru - Single Collection Vol. 2 / Break from music announcement

A real break. She says she wants to focus on her life as a human being since the last 12 years have been about her as a musician.

Interestingly, she signed her blog entry with her first name in kanji (宇多田光) instead of katakana (宇多田ヒカル).

4. Re: Utada Hikaru - Single Collection Vol. 2 / Break from music announcement

I'm a little bummed since she is my favorite J-pop artist (and one of my top artists, period) but she needs this. She creates beautiful music and takes time, so with this hopefully she will produce something legendary.

5. Re: Utada Hikaru - Single Collection Vol. 2 / Break from music announcement

I still don't agree with her taking a break, because she ...basically takes breaks between albums. I mean come on she's as bad as christina when it comes to the span of time between her albums I feel....Except that utada usually uses that time and DELIVERS.

ha, ahem, regardless I don't want her to take break I love queen utada!

6. Re: Utada Hikaru - Single Collection Vol. 2 / Break from music announcement

That list of singles is bloody impressive. This'll be a great collection if the new songs are as good. I maintain that Heart Station is her best album (but I only have like four of her albums). It's so stunning and the production is so incredibly lush and rich throughout. It's weird, she's like a different singer when she's singing in Japanese to when she sings in English.

I don't mind the break. I still play Heart Station loads and she's only 27, there's plenty of time to explore life outside of music and then make a comeback. Better than being overexposed like Kuu anwyay.

7. Re: Utada Hikaru - Single Collection Vol. 2 / Break from music announcement

I guess don't get me wrong, its not like she waits years and years between albums, and I always forgive her because she DELIVERS. Ultra blue and heart station were monster killer pieces of work, I love everything about those albums. Everything is on point.

J-pop can't beat utada's professionalism and class, that's for sure.

8. Re: Utada Hikaru - Single Collection Vol. 2 / Break from music announcement

Damn, I'm sad to hear this.

9. Re: Utada Hikaru - Single Collection Vol. 2 / Break from music announcement

Hopefully, she will release the In The Flesh tour on dvd before going on break... I'm sure Emi will cash on the fact it's her "last album" (before a while) and release some goodies at the same time.

I expect this to be the best selling album of the year.

10. Re: Utada Hikaru - Single Collection Vol. 2 / Break from music announcement

Translation of her latest blog entry:

"First important announcement in a while

I can't believe how quickly time goes - it's already been 12 years since my debut with "Automatic," which was called "that sensational video of dancing in a low ceiling room."(l o l) I was 15 at that time.

Lately when I first meet someone they say, "Oh so you're still 27~! I thought you would be around 30, since I have this image that you have a very long career~. And you looked quite grown-up when you debuted."

27 years old, it's young in a sense... but not that young in another sense.

When I think back I find I've always worked on music ever since I was 15. Spent my life overprotected by people around, so that "Utada Hikaru" can stick to music. People say I have plenty of life experience for my age, but as a matter of fact what I've experienced is quite lopsided.

I have had chances to do something uncommon thanks to this job. I thank you all my fans, all my staff from the bottom of my heart.

That said, there is this part of me which has stunted since around 15, when I started living my life focused on artist activities. That is the part, important as a human being.

Over the past 12 years I've challenged various things as an artist, and I think I've grown up a bit through those experiences. And I need to grow up as a person, aside from music, to evolve further.

Based on those thoughts I have made a big decision!

I am going to stop flashy "artist activities" for a while and focus on "human activities, " starting from next year.

This is not a "retirement announcement"! Nor is this "rest" or "recreation."

This period is going to be the period form me to face the real me as a person, by studying something new eagerly and humbly, seeing and learning things in this while world I don't know yet. I think that's something that should be called "human activities," different from "artist activities."

And that should lead to my growth as an artist too, as a result.

Of course I may be making music or singing as I like, during that time.

When the time comes that I realize I have grown up a little as a person, and I feel the need to let you all hear my music, that is about time I should do so.

I didn't like it just to hide without showing up in front of my fans, and to jump into "human activities" with no regrets, I'm gonna go on full-throttle to do music activities till the end of this year!

First of all, I'm gonna release Single Collection vol 2 in upcoming autumn. I've made a lot of singles after the relase of vol 1.

This time I'll put some new songs in it!

Maybe 4 songs or so, 5 hopefully... ! I'm right in the middle of recording, trying to make them something that can tell you my recent feelings, change of my heart. Please wait for a while, I'll let you know as soon as the release date is fixed.

Other than that there are more things already fixed and I'll tell you about them soon! Like, a CM I appear in and such... expect a lot!

I thank all the staff of EMI being receptive to my offer to take off from artist activities from next year.

I've always made them nervous or worried, still they've always believed in me, supported me. Thank you very much.

I can focus on "human activities" with an easy mind thinking they will wait for my return, believing me.

I guess each one of you has a different impression on my decision, but please believe me and wait for my return. I have no idea how long it gonna be - 2 years or 5 years, but I shall return, more matured. Give me some time.

Well before that I'm gonna release new songs in autumn, then winter and there should be some opportunities to show you the recent me, as well as interact with each other. So that's all for today. (Also I'm thinking of starting twitter for a limited time! That way I can reply to you directly)

Last of all, thank you for reading this long message. I hope this can help to tell you my current feeling, as much as possible.

August 9th 2010

Utada Hikaru"

11. Re: Utada Hikaru - Single Collection Vol. 2 / Break from music announcement

I'm just going to repeat what I said on Last.fm (http://www.last.fm/user/justiceblob):

OH FUCKING JESUS THIS IS BAD. Right, now that that is out of the way, this is probably to have a baby/get married again, she has stated she wants to do so several times. Looking forward to new songs though.

Also, I've decided to have an emergency play day if anyone is interested.

12. Re: Utada Hikaru - Single Collection Vol. 2 / Break from music announcement

If this is what she wants, I am happy for her. I can only imagine she was pretty much controlled by the people around her, even if it's her own guilt that if she quitted dozens if not a 100 people will lose their jobs; such was her money-earning power and importance in her heyday. I remember her getting excited about being accepted by Columbia University after 2 albums or so, then pulled out.

13. Re: Utada Hikaru - Single Collection Vol. 2 / Break from music announcement

Happy to hear about the release of Volume 2, but does anyone else think she should include the English singles as well? Devil Inside and You Make Me Want To Be A Man would fit pretty well and I'm disappointed about the snub of Fight The Blues. Hopefully she doesn't take too long to come back!

14. Re: Utada Hikaru - Single Collection Vol. 2 / Break from music announcement

Her english stuff is released on a different label. I'm disappointed Fight The Blues didn't make the tracklist too, but there's already 7 songs taken from Heart Station... She probably didn't want Vol. 2 to turn into a "best of Heart Station" album.

It's quite scary when you think about it. Her mom quit music in 1979 after 10 years active and never really came back, bar the U3 project and a couple of appearances... She moved to New York, got married and had a baby.

Another interesting fact: Keiko Fuji (aka Utada Junko) was the first female artist to score the best selling album of the year back in 1970 and her daughter, Utada Hikaru was the last female artist to do so in 2004 with Single Collection Vol. 1.

I expect BEST FICTION like sales for Single Collection Vol. 2.

15. Re: Utada Hikaru - Single Collection Vol. 2 / Break from music announcement

Totally agree with all that.

16. Re: Utada Hikaru - Single Collection Vol. 2 / Break from music announcement

Yes, but as it stands it is a best of Ultra Blue and Heart Station album, the english would give diversity.

17. Re: Utada Hikaru - Single Collection Vol. 2 / Break from music announcement

But her english discography is still released on another label and I highly doubt Island Def Jam would allow Emi to release her english songs when they could release a greatest hits themselves, to cash on her "indefinite hiatus from music".

18. Re: Utada Hikaru - Single Collection Vol. 2 / Break from music announcement

A bit disappointed despite, hating TITO and not listening to her for aaages (still mad at her for TITO lol). Hopefully this pays off in the end with some good music. Not going to get too excited about the 5 new tracks yet.

I hope when she comes back we get music and PVs of the same quality as Deep River's and Ultra Blue's.

But seriously she's now taking a break? What's she being doing for the best part of this year apart from recording a few songs? At least she's telling us.

(As long as Ayumi isn't intending on any break! And I doubt she is)

mi|kshake~

19. Re: Utada Hikaru - Single Collection Vol. 2 / Break from music announcement

Actually, Ayu should take notice.

20. Re: Utada Hikaru - Single Collection Vol. 2 / Break from music announcement

Agree 110%.

I'm pretty ambivalent about Hikki taking a break. On one hand, no new music. On the other hand, she could find some inspiration and come back with great new music later on. It kind of humanizes her and I'm glad she acknowledges the need for personal growth, which some artists (see: Michael Jackson, Britney, etc.) neglect either consciously or unconsciously. And hey, 4-5 songs is like a mini-mini-album right??? Right???