Where did it all go wrong for The X Factor? | Page 3 | The Popjustice Forum
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where did it all go wrong for The X Factor?

Discussion in 'The X Factor' started by MrJames, Dec 4, 2017.

1. I've never been interested in Strictly - but I can see that it retains its audiences by not having a load of shit cliche lines said over and over - and they just get on with it. I think the show looks cheap despite its massive budget but it must be doing something right as it just doesn't seem to be dwindling like X Factor does.

2. I've always thought Strictly looked cheap.

3. It's the Tess Daly effect. Claudia looks far from cheap, however.

4. Strictly bores me to tears. Don't get the appeal of it at all - and I'll watch any old reality shit!

5. It's definitely heading that way though, this last series was excruiating. The show I used to watch, back in the late 00s, has gone.

Zarjazz and diamondliam like this.
  6. I think they need to move it to spring/summer. Stay away from Winter.

beautyneverlies likes this.
  7. In Germany, our version of BGT is on just before Christmas, with the German Pop Idol on January - early May.

8. It would make sense. BGT is far bigger than X Factor and the only thing that could compete with Strictly. X Factor in the summer has well, Love Island probably to compete with?

9. Yeah, I'd say it would slot nicely into Sundays, in mid Feb after Dancing on Ice, especially now there is not chance of landing an Xmas no.1

10. Moving BGT would be the worst thing ITV could do. It's the biggest show on TV when it's on. Putting it up against Strictly could cost it it's audience.

kermit_the_frog and Terminus like this.
  11. Two things I think:

1. You can tell the production is led by a record label rather than a television production company. When a record label promotes an artist, they create hype, get attention and sell a record. If the artist hits big they'll take it globally, try and crack the States and usually take their eye off the ball elsewhere, but sometimes the gamble pays off. Either way, eventually when that artist becomes stale, they either drop them or reinvent their brand, style of music etc. There's very little heart involved, not much warmth. It's a production line. That's how they've treated the show. They've dropped talent, tried to reinvent, tried dramatic comebacks. It's pure record industry fodder. But it doesn't suit television. Television (particularly British television) needs far more heart in order for people to have that loyalty and connection.

2. Before Leona Lewis went to No1 in the states, X Factor was a very different animal. It was a talent show hosted by a former Smash Hits editor that looked for an every day Joe, a builder, a hairdresser or office worker, and tried to find star quality that could make someone a successful popstar. It was very unassuming, low key and we were invested in the contestants to see whether they'd make it big or not. We were in charge, and we would vote for who we wanted to win. Hopefully they'd get a number one in the UK, and that would be great. After each performance the audience would clap, sometimes cheer, and sit in silence eager to see what the judges would say. Post-Leona, the programme set itself a new benchmark. X Factor TOLD us it was going to make a global superstar, and in order to do that it was inevitably going to have to manipulate things in order to give Syco the best shot of huge success. The fanfares got more and more ridiculous, and the studio audience were whipped up into such a frenzy to the point that it felt like the second coming. We were basically told who we should like, and anyone that didn't conform was written off as middle of the road cabaret singers. The judges, once respected for their opinions started making decisions in line with the show's agenda, not that of the public.

It went from a fairly humble show grateful for the public's role in choosing the winner, to an arrogant beast that told us who was best. And even if we didn't do as we were told and we voted someone else as our winner, they'd ignore us and make the runner up the true winner anyway. And that works when you're at peak success, but when you hit a peak, the only way is down.

LivingLoife, DMDR, Vixen and 13 others like this.
  12. I do wonder what becomes of people like Leon and Ben Haenow - they must be the two least successful winners? Very little left for them to trade on once they were dropped.

13. My mums friend used to teach Claudia, I won't repeat what she said about her behaviour!

Tribal Spaceman and bichard like this.
  14. Claudia is iconic for her bangs alone.

15. The judging panel just worked with dannii, Cheryl , Simon , and Louis .

I doubt Cheryl and or Simon alone brought success to the show as they have been on since , and the ratings still are not great .

I say have the famous panel one last time , and call it a day for a while .

16. Zarjazz and Eric Generic like this.
  17. I just find X Factor boreing now. The last season was like they just made up loads of stuff and tried it all to see what worked.

bichard likes this.
  18. I can't believe this forum has its own section for The X Factor.

kermit_the_frog likes this.
  19. I think when the media lost some interest then the show started spiralling downhill. The final couple of Dannii/Cheryl seasons were the peak. They were constantly all over the papers in hair, fashion, love dramas and were the actual stars of the show by that stage. I know I only tuned in to see Dannii Minogue on my telly on a Saturday night.

Baby Clyde likes this.
  20. I also turned in to see Dannii Minogue, but also the dynamics of the judges was fun .