Whitney Houston | The Popjustice Forum
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Whitney Houston

Discussion in 'Comeback corner' started by IotV, Dec 19, 2011.

1. IotV

IotV Guest

All At Once, Didn't We Almost Have It All, One Moment in Time, I Will Always Love You, I Wanna Dance With Somebody, Greatest Love of All, I Have Nothing, etc, etc.

She was a fucking fantastic singer.

2. Her debut was the first thing I ever got on CD when those first came out. It is still my favorite of hers (reminds me I need to get the remastered 25th Aniversary Edition). A pretty flawless album. I always found all the rest of her albums to be a bit patchy though with some great singles/tracks but also quite a bit of filler. She did have a fantastic voice.

Pity she met Bobby.

3. So much promise. And a stunner. But now she's more remembered for the drugs, the Bobby Brown association, and paving the way for a raft of warbling over-singing young divas.

The first two albums are fairly essential stuff.

4. JadeFan

JadeFan Guest

'Down the dumper' describes her perfectly. She was THE voice of the 80s.

5. I love All The Man I Need!

6. Mvnl

Mvnl Moderator

Probably my favourite Whitney song, including all the bigger more obvious hits.

7. And possibly her last truly great record.

8. Have any of her other albums been remastered?

9. Just the debut, to my knowledge.

10. IotV

IotV Guest

Her live performances were incredible. She really had a knack of getting the emotion of a song across in a live enviroment.

11. Whitney is simply the greatest voice I have ever heard.

Back in the 80s even a bog standard appearance on TOTP was something to behold, effortless live vocalist!

My favourite live performance was of The Greatest Love Of All but very difficult to choose a favourite song. Her peak for me was 1987-1990 but loved her comeback stuff aswell:

So Emotional
    Love Will Save The Day
    One Moment In Time
    I'm Your Baby Tonight
    All The Man I Need
    I Will Always Love You
    Million Dollar Bill
    I Look To You

12. One of my favourite albums of all time (second perhaps to Destiny's Child's "Survivor"), "The Preacher's Wife". Fantastic R&B - Gospel - Pop fusion.

13. How the world overlooked the brilliance of 'My Name Is Not Susan' - in particular the LA Reid/Babyface mix - is beyond me. I've not got bored of it since its release.

14. Funny you should mention that. I also think it was under-rated. It majorly underperformed in the UK (not helped by not having a video yet and additional remixes came too late). I got the original UK CD at the time but have just treated myself to this version. Anyone have it?

15. Well, Salt 'N' Pepa namechecked 'My name is not Susan' in 'Whatta man' so someone must have noticed the song! I liked the album version, not so much the single mix.

16. I have that CD! It is brilliant. The second mix with Monie Love is the best, and I think was called the Power Mix in the States. There's a third CD single I have that also has the '70's Flange Mix', the 'Logic Mix (Extended)' and ''Ambiente Mix' but none of those has the wondrous rap by Monie Love.

17. I don't think her downfall had anything to do with Bobby Brown. She was never the sweet, innocent pop princess that she lead us to believe.

They just enabled each other to get completely out of control but she is just as much to blame as he is. She was always kinda rough.

18. Seriously???

19. This one?

I wish you hadn't told me now! I saw it and assumed it was the CD I already had (same cover). Now I realise it has completely different mixes on it apart from track 1 being the same Wadell 7".

You have cost me another £10!

I'm looking forward to the first CD now on your recommendation. I only heard the Monie Love version a few years ago when I found it on youtube and iTunes. Was it the one used in the US? Always preferred the Wadell mix to the album version and remember this montage video being used in the UK on release, I don't think the video had been shot so I never got to see it at the time.

EDIT: Also, I was listening to Whitney's Ultimate Collection on my Boxing Day drive down the M6 today. One Moment In Time sounds so epic at full blast at 100mph a fast but legal speed.

20. You won't regret the wait. It is an immense mix, far better than the Waddell mixes, to my ears anyway.

And yes, there is a mix with Flange in the title. Discuss.