Whitney Houston | Page 72 | The Popjustice Forum
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Whitney Houston

Discussion in 'Comeback corner' started by IotV, Dec 19, 2011.

1. It really is a shame she didn't make a full album with Babyface when he was at the height of his powers, around the Waiting to Exhale soundtrack. That said, that album is one of the best RnB albums ever.

2. I also wish she had done an entire Bodyguard album. No offense to the others on that soundtrack, but it was always something that needed to be all Whitney.

Waiting to Exhale was perfect as it was, but it'd been nice if a Babyface album had followed in late 1996 or something like that.

3. Yes, it would have been amazing if the whole of The Bodyguard soundtrack was a Whitney album. Her own songs on it rank as easily the strongest of her career.

Peer_Gynt10 likes this.
  4. Waiting to Exhale is amazing, indeed. I often wish Whitney had recorded the entire soundtrack, but I really wouldn't want to live in a world without those excellent songs by Toni Braxton, Brandy and Mary J. Needless to say, the TLC track would have been vetoed right away by Clive.

5. I think I need to belatedly pick up the Waiting To Exhale OST. One of the songs was in the last PJOPS round, I think.

Peer_Gynt10 likes this.
  6. It's worth it. And very sensual.

Eric Generic likes this.
  7. It's brilliant. Toni, Whitney, and especially Brandy are the highlights.

Eric Generic likes this.
  8. No, none of them were, but For Real (who were in that round) were featured on the soundtrack with this ballad:

Chanté Moore (who had a song in PJOPS 32) is also on the soundtrack with this:

The first half of the album is definitely better than the second half (I love all of the first eight songs), but it's still a really solid compilation.

Eric Generic likes this.
  9. Given the number of artists involved plus the fact that several of the contributors weren't well known, you'd expect Waiting to Exhale to be a pretty uneven affair, but it is remarkably consistent. The only two duff tracks are the TLC and Patti Labelle ones.

One of the contributors went on to record this nice track a year later, with Whitney supplying backing vocals:

londonrain likes this.
  10. Ah! That was the connection; I went off on a For Real tangent and found their song on that album.

londonrain likes this.
  11. I love Count On Me, such an positive duet.

londonrain likes this.
  12. I love the Waiting to Exhale soundtrack. It feels somewhat forgotten today, despite the huge hits - Exhale (Shoop Shoop), Not Gon' Cry and Sittin' Up in My Room.

I only wish Babyface had given Whitney some more bops.

13. ^Yes, some more bops would have been good.

14. A whole album in the vein of Step By Step would have been even better.

WhatKindOfKylie? likes this.
  15. I so want this movie version to come out someday on a re issue:

Eric Generic and idratherjack like this.
  16. Is that available to buy anywhere? I love it!

Step By Step has to be Whitney's most underrated single. I always forget how much I love it until I play it again.

17. No, I don't think so alas. And yes, it always is a total joy to listen too. Euphoric.

Eric Generic and idratherjack like this.
  18. Euphoric is a word bandied around very freely round these parts but Step By Step definitely is! Total joy in music form.

londonrain and WhatKindOfKylie? like this.
  19. Yep!! Not the biggest non UK top 10 single by a woman in the 90's for nothing I think!

20. I love that you can hear Annie Lennox in Step By Step - I also like her version too. Waiting to Exhale was a great film too I think.

londonrain and WhatKindOfKylie? like this.