Whitney Houston | Page 77 | The Popjustice Forum
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Whitney Houston

Discussion in 'Comeback corner' started by IotV, Dec 19, 2011.

1. I didn’t know that the second version in that post above wasn’t the original. Wow!!! It’s so much better.

2. Yes, only America got the original New Jack Swing mix, guess Arista thought making it more dance floor friendly elsewhere was more savvy where that genre was not so hot.

3. It was quite common back then, Janet & Luther's 'Best things...' had a pop/house remix for the UK as opposed to the US Swingbeat mix.

Vasilios and WhatKindOfKylie? like this.
  4. I knew there was different versions, but never knew there were for different countries. Good to know that fact.

5. I always thought the first version in that post was the UK mix, as it’s the only one I can remember hearing on the radio...
    That Yvonne mix sounds cheap and awful, it’s the original all the way for me.

6. Mvnl

Mvnl Moderator

Yeah the original got more of the popvibe of How Will I Know and I Wanna Dance With Somebody.

londonrain and Terminus like this.
  7. Wow, I never heard the European version before. I didn't realize it was so different.

I still prefer the original mix.

I remember Sinead O'Connor trashed I'm Your Baby Tonight around the time it was released in an interview with Rolling Stone. I was shocked.

WhatKindOfKylie? likes this.
  8. Well, in terms of a huge career, I think Whitney won over Sinead, who is only really still known for that one song.

londonrain likes this.
  9. You are way too kind. As much as I think Sinead's (Prince) song is a timeless song and one of the top of that decade, she is really a one-hit wonder, so there is absolutely no comparison with Whitney.
    Still love her pope-photo-tearing!

WhatKindOfKylie? likes this.
  10. He he, very true! At least somebody had the guts to say it!

11. I love both versions. The original is a jam.

londonrain likes this.
  12. I'm Your Baby Tonight, is easily one of the best Whitney uptempo songs for me. Classy bop.

13. [​IMG]

This cover art for this song, is just an 80's joy!

14. I just miss her. Of all the icons of my lifetime, I somehow felt closest to her--like she was an aunt I didn't see very often or something. I miss Auntie Whitney.

15. Yes, it truly is such a shame how it all ended. I still think that world tour was what ultimately sent her back on a downward spiral. Too much too soon.

16. I suspect that she still wasn't completely ready to cope with the pressures of releasing a new album in 2009 (see her struggle through the 'Good Morning America' set before the tour started for proof of that), but had she and her management just taken a lower profile and done a few select live performances on TV/award shows (which she could still pull off just about), she might have weathered things better.

The tour was transparently a money-grabbing exercise and was a disaster from start to finish. I'm truly glad I didn't go and see her then - I'd much rather remember her storming it up on stage in 1999. In a way, I'm quite surprised how quickly the fallout from that tour has been forgotten, as at the time it felt like it would permanently damage her reputation.

londonrain and snoho like this.
  17. It’s better to work than stay at home doing whatever, no?

18. Yes, it should have been handled alot more slowly her return to music.

19. It didn't seem to work in her case. Although the fact that the same people lived around her and worked for her probably meant neither option was going to provide much of an answer, to provide a change of scene and break the cycle she'd gotten into.

Eric Generic likes this.