Who had the biggest decline in a career? (Musically/Commercially) | Page 17 | The Popjustice Forum
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Who had the biggest decline in a career? (Musically/Commercially)

Discussion in 'Comeback corner' started by Tommy Johnson, Oct 7, 2017.

1. I had the US release of Flowers (Cruel Summer). I thought this was their best album. I still play it occasionally. They seemed to disappear after this. I assumed they’d split up.

2. Flowers/Cruel Summer is where they lost the plot for me. I was just a kid when their stuff originally came out so I didn't have the music critic vocab to frame it this way, but the atmosphere was gone. Happy Nation/The Sign had those driving beats with deceptively upbeat melodies, while The Bridge refined that sound and added new elements without sacrificing the drama that made them so interesting to me. The "fake Motown" sound on a lot of Cruel Summer tracks wrecked it for me, it was just peppy with no contrast (again, had no musical vocab to describe any of that back then, I just knew I didn't like it anymore). I listened to Cruel Summer, Tokyo Girl and Everytime It Rains but that was about it.

Whether it's viewed as good or bad, I think a lot of Ace fans would agree their sound changed a lot beginning with Flowers/CS. Bridge is still their best for me, but it does share some of the blame for their decline because looking back, it wasn't as immediate/commercial as Sign.

tombiz likes this.
  3. Yes, I was 15 when it came out and remember skipping all the songs with the retro sound (Cecilia, Donnie, Always Have Always Will) and the one that had very cheesy lyrics (Captain Nemo). Still, the rest of the singles, Dr. Sun and Tokyo Girl were a return to form I always thought.

But yes with each album it felt like a different band was playing, but I thought it was a good progression. I thought the styles were all balanced out well in their last, Da Capo, which mixed the dance beats and the Abba-esque production in a good way.

tombiz likes this.
  4. Samantha Mumba?

5. Put simply - behind the scenes she was a nightmare. Got rid of all her collaborators on the first album because she became convinced that she was the genius and she didn't need her co-writers. Pissed off her management so much that her manager resigned. Was impossible to work with in the studio. Put it all together and...

snoho, ohaimanabu, Bunifah and 3 others like this.
  6. For those who may only have heard the Well Well Well single, take a listen to what I believe was supposed to be the second single. It's all kind of awful. It's like Duffy's very special take of Papa Don't Preach. I dare you not to laugh. The chorus is something else!

Eric Generic likes this.
  7. Has someone mentioned Holly Valance

Sure she can be labelled as a One Hit Wonder but her debut album went gold and peaked in the TOP10 and spanned 3 singles. A year later her comeback single flopped and the album didnt even reach the TOP40

(And state of mind IMO is pop GOLD)

sfmartin and ohaimanabu like this.
  8. I never knew that. Her label must've been fuming!

9. I really don't mind that song at all. It's much easier on the ear than Well Well Well...

10. Is it strange that Well Well Well was the only Duffy song i liked and i bought it?

Txetxu and Eric Generic like this.
  11. [​IMG]

I have to agree.

12. Does Shania Twain qualify for this thread?

JMRGBY88 likes this.
  13. I don’t think so. She just didn’t do anything for about 15 years.

Smooth Criminal and Eric Generic like this.
  14. invertedbutterfly

invertedbutterfly Moderator

Not to me - I'm the same!

CasperFan likes this.
  15. State of Mind the album is so much better than Footprints or whatever the debut was called. It really should have ben the other way round in terms of their levels of success.

16. I couldn't stand the singles from Footprints (is that a controversial opinion round these parts?) but lapped up State of Mind and quickly bought the album which I love. I hate that it's always referred to as a flop when it went Top 10!

17. Down Boy and Kiss Kiss didn't do a lot for me. I really only came on board with the Naughty Girl single and video.

18. I don't even remember that one! I hated Kiss Kiss with a passion.

19. Naughty Girl's the one that sounds like a gorgeous Texas single, with a video set (mostly) in Times Square with Holly V up on the giant billboard videoscreens and on shopfronts.

20. I feel my worth redeemed as I went through this thread, cause I was able to sing off the top of my head songs by so many of the acts mentioned...blaaaame it on the weathermannI_CANNOT_USE_REAL_WORDS_PROPERLY

it's all about this lyrical gem: Every time it rains / I get wet (wet where?)

Eric Generic likes this.