XO Popjustice Has The Deck: The Mass Effect Character Rate (Results - #9-#8) | The Popjustice Forum
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XO Popjustice Has The Deck: The Mass Effect Character Rate (Results - #9-#8)

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by DJHazey, Nov 5, 2017.

1. [​IMG]

Yes, we all know that EA and Bioware have pretty much killed off the franchise. Honestly, it's one of the saddest stories in video game history. I don't know if we'll ever get over how Andromeda was handled and how the series has now been left for dead. We should be able to prosecute them for their crimes.

[​IMG]

What we can do however, is celebrate this massive game and show just how passionate we all are. This will be wonderful way to stamp the game's legacy and find out who our favorite characters are. That's one of the biggest draws of Mass Effect: the depth of the personalities and the complexity of the relationships built throughout our gameplay. Will the particular Shephard you played with through the trilogy reign supreme? Could one of the many friends we met along the way end up on top? Or will one of the new names from Andromeda pull off a shocker? I honestly don't know which way this countdown will go.

[​IMG]

This is a character rate, so anything can influence your score. Everyone was left with their own impressions of these characters and we all connected with many of them on level that is rarely seen in a video game. Simply look back at your interactions with everyone listed below and give each character a score from 0-10. Of course you can also give your favorite character an 11. Decimals points are allowed and commentary is obviously encouraged. I will breakdown everyone's comments into "paramour" and "renegade" remarks and much like it did in the games, your voter profile will go one way or other depending on the results.

You have over a month to get your votes in, which gives everyone a chance to put their game discs in, replay some of the missions or an entire game, and refresh their memories if they need to.

Please PM your scores/comments by Friday, December 15th

Last edited: Dec 11, 2017
  2. [​IMG]

Admiral Steven Hackett
    Ambassador Donnel Udina
    Ashley Williams
    Captain David Anderson
    Commander Shepard
    Conrad Verner
    Dr. Chloe Michel
    Dr. Karin Chakwas
    Garrus Vakarian
    Jeff "Joker" Moraeu
    Kaidan Alenko
    Liara T'Soni
    Saren Arterius
    Tali'Zorah nar Rayya
    Urdnot Wrex

[​IMG]

Aria T'Loak
    Armando Owen-Bailey
    EDI
    Grunt
    The Illusive Man
    Jack
    Jacob Taylor
    Kasumi Goto
    Kelly Chambers
    Legion
    Matriarch Aethyta
    Miranda Lawson
    Mordin Solus
    Samara
    Thane Krios
    Zaeed Massani

[​IMG]

Diana Allers
    Eve
    James Vega
    Javik
    Kai Leng
    Samantha Traynor
    Steve Cortez

[​IMG]

Alec Ryder
    Cora Harper
    Dr. Lexi T'Perro
    Dr. Suvi Anwar
    Gil Brodie
    Jaal Ama Darav
    Jarun Tann
    Kallo Jath
    Liam Kosta
    Moshae Sjefa
    Nakmor Drack
    Nakmor Kesh
    Pelessaria "Peebee" B'Sayle
    Reyes Vidal
    SAM
    Sara // Scott Ryder
    Sidera Nyx
    Sloane Kelly
    Vetra Nyx

PM-Friendly List:

Admiral Hackett
    Ambassador Udina
    Ashley
    Captain Anderson
    Commander Shepard
    Conrad Verner
    Dr. Michel
    Dr. Chakwas
    Garrus
    Joker
    Kaidan
    Liara
    Saren
    Tali
    Wrex
    Aria
    Armando Owen-Bailey
    EDI
    Grunt
    Illusive Man
    Jack
    Jacob
    Kasumi Goto
    Kelly Chambers
    Matriarch Aethyta
    Miranda
    Mordin
    Samara
    Thane
    Zaeed Massani
    Diana Allers
    Eve
    James
    Javik
    Kai Leng
    Legion
    Samantha Traynor
    Steve Cortez
    Alec Ryder
    Cora
    Lexi
    Suvi
    Gil
    Jaal
    Tann
    Kallo
    Liam
    Moshae
    Drack
    Kesh
    Peebee
    Reyes
    SAM
    Pathfinder Ryder
    Sid
    Sloane
    Vetra

Last edited: Dec 27, 2017
    soratami, kalonite, Animalia and 2 others like this.
  3. Last edited: Jan 20, 2018 at 8:26 PM
    Animalia likes this.
  4. Yes I'm so here for this. I love the voter profile idea!

Animalia and DJHazey like this.
  5. Why do you do this to me when my rate is due to begin soon. I will be taking part of course.

Animalia and DJHazey like this.
  6. I've got to start this now, because my next music rate is set to start in February.

Animalia and soratami like this.
  7. Animalia, soratami and Number like this.
  8. Animalia, LE0Night and soratami like this.
  9. I know this may end being a small rate, but I'm hoping everyone above and maybe a few surprise voters can send in ballots. I've done a small rate before, the Star Wars rate only had like 10 voters and we still had a good time with it.

Also note that all characters have been hyperlinked to the Mass Effect Wikia for a quick refresher on who they are.

10. I've resumed my Andromeda playthrough this weekend, just for you! Just tying up the events on Kadara so don't have too much to get through.

What's the general opinion on Andromeda now the dust has settled? I enjoyed it at the time but dropped it and didn't look back - coming back to it, I've found the exploration pretty lacklustre and lacking surprise. A case of quantity over quality. The environments don't offer much beyond what you originally find, with no micro-climates within the vast worlds - and the quests become monotonous quickly. I don't think it deserved the avalanche of flack that came its way, with the hate perpetuated by the anti-SJW types who were begging it to fail, but it doesn't really live up to the promise of previous games.

Animalia, NecessaryVoodoo and DJHazey like this.
  11. I think everything you said kinda kills its replay value. I'll probably go back and play it again but it won't be for a while. I did everything in the game except for one quest that a glitch causes me to never complete. There are some great characters though, some of the best in the entire series.

It's not like the original trilogy that I've already played multiple times and could see myself playing many more times in the future. (I'm currently re-playing ME 2 now)

Last edited: Nov 6, 2017
  12. It's just a shame. I just read through this article to get a scope of its failings. It's kinda heresay-ish but I'm not surprised the story and level design were the most compromised aspects because it really bleeds through to the final product. I can look past graphics if the gameplay is engaging but it just... isn't. The interactions between the main crew are good, I think, but so often I'll finish a quest and be like, huh, that's it? Exploring a new universe should be so much more fun than it turned out.

Animalia, NecessaryVoodoo and DJHazey like this.
  13. I think the idea of having hundreds to thousands of randomly generated planets to explore, sounds great at first, but then you see how something like No Man's Sky turned out (which the article alludes to) and you can see where the trouble started. I think you should have your 30 some-odd solar systems in Andromeda like there is but have each planet have a specific landing site with a limited scope to explore. Have it just be a city or colony, or an area about as big as the original trilogy allowed you to 'explore' whenever you landed somewhere. Have some planets have multiple of these landing sites, that you have to find by "scanning" the planet after being alerted by Kallo/Suvi that there's something there. At some sites you could have a few people available that could join your crew. Have like 100 preset dialogue trees ready to go, split up based on the alien race/gender/skill set/etc. with 100 different names attached to each one. Once you've 'invited' a set amount of people to join you, then you wouldn't be able to 'invite' any other "random" NPC to join you for that playthrough, but I'm pretty sure you'd want to find out who else is out there whenever you decide to play again. Have some of the people have a preset missions that they come with. Some landing sites could have an Admiral Hackett-esque trigger to go there and do something. Have some planets be potential colonies with a small checklist. Your job would be to go to the planet and go to a few checkpoints that would verify whether it can sustain life. If it can then you get to customize what the colony would look like from like a bunch of general options and what kind of colonists would populate it. You can come back to the colonies over time and it would have slowly developed and there would be random missions available if the colonists needed help with an enemy/etc.

Okay this is just a bunch of fan-dream nonsense, but as you can see I've thought about this a lot, dddd.

14. I finished Andromeda and then never returned to it again which is something I hoped I would never say about a Mass Effect game. I've played the original trilogy at least 3 times each game. It's probably my favourite game series of all time but I just... had no desire to play it again. I also didn't find the squad in Andromeda to be anywhere near as compelling or interesting as previous games.

This rate however, I'm very much here for if only to give Ashley a 0.

Animalia, Number and DJHazey like this.
  15. Ddd, why do I get the feeling many of us got the alert in ME3 to go visit Ashley at Huerta Memorial Hospital and completely ignored it.

Animalia and NecessaryVoodoo like this.
  16. However, when Kaidan ends up in the hospital:

[​IMG]

Animalia, DJHazey and Number like this.
  17. Honey, she was blown to smithereens in the first game after I laid my eyes on hot-but-dull Kaidan. She was a worthy sacrifice.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 6, 2017
    Animalia, DJHazey and NecessaryVoodoo like this.