Your unpopular pop opinions | Page 2397 | The Popjustice Forum
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Your unpopular pop opinions

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by Mvnl, Nov 2, 2007.

1. The big pop girls are the ones who get the biggest reaction from any of their releases, good or bad reactions, so Britney, Katy, etc. are still there because of this and Ariana has earned her place. I would argue Carly is that way too.

Alouder98 likes this.
  2. 2014

2014 Moderator

Unfortunately Carly, bar one song, isn't even big (and she's all the better for it tibb)

3. Yeah I know, I'm just arguing that she could be considered a 'PJ big pop girl' but yeah it's also a commercial/historically commercial thing because some of the 'big pop girls' aren't doing anything commercially today but have lifetime achievement awards now.

4. Having finally listened to 1989 in full, I can definitely say All You Had To Do Stay is better than Style and should've been a single instead of Style or Bad Blood.

Fantasy, r1ver and kal like this.
  5. Billie Piper had potential to be as big as Britney (had Britney not come along). However I also think Billie would have been likely to have had a car crash breakdown much sooner.

6. Blank Space is one of my least favourite singles from 1989. I never got the hype for it at all.

I remember when the album came out thinking it was a weak choice for second single when you had Style sitting right there, and yet it turned into a far bigger smash than the latter.

7. You in danger girl gif.

Style is one of the best pop songs of the past decade.

8. What thread are we in though sis?

Like Style is a great song and absolutely one of the best on the album but I just don’t see or understand the collective boner that PJ has for it, especially now that I’ve heard some of the album tracks.

londonrain and Island like this.
  9. “Style” is incredible, but “All You Had to Do Was Stay” is just as good.

Heaven on Earth likes this.
  10. Out of the Woods, This Love, and All You Had to Do Was Stay are my top 3 from 1989.

Style and Blank Space round out the top 5.

TheDangerZone likes this.
  11. Sub out This Love for New Romantics and you have my Top 3 and my Top 5.

Island likes this.
  12. Honestly, I never got New Romantics.

Also, I kinda hate How You Get the Girl.

TheDangerZone likes this.
  13. Style, Wildest Dreams, Out of the Woods, New Romantics and How You Get the Girl is my Top 5.

Clean just narrowly misses out.

14. The only songs I don't particularly care for are Shake It Off, Welcome to New York, and Clean.

15. You forgot "Bad Blood."

My controversial 1989 opinion is that I consider "I Wish You Would" to be almost as bad as "Shake It Off" and "Bad Blood." I actually call the three the Unholy Trinity.

I might be biased, but "Blank Space" was released at the height of my Taylor hatred and it was the song that singlehandedly turned me into a stan again. It was not a bad second single.

16. Shake It Off and You Are In Love are the two duds. I actually kinda love the solo-single mix of Bad Blood.

17. I liked Blank Space fine enough but the video completely sold me on the song.

It did a lot to help sell the song.

18. I haven't been able to sit through "Blank Space" once.

Fantasy likes this.
  19. Bad Blood is far from as bad as people make it our to be. Not with Shake It Off and Welcome to New York sitting right there.

Ironheade and Fantasy like this.
  20. Bad Blood isn't actually bad at all. I also really like the album version and think it's better than the remix.

Shake it Off really is hideous though.