Zelda. | Page 64 | The Popjustice Forum
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Zelda.

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Tommie, Feb 20, 2010.

1. Unpopular opinion, but BOTW got so boring for me. The first few hours were amazing, but there are so many issues I have with the game, it's insane. And don't get me started on the DLC.

The map needed to be smaller, I want more UNIQUE enemies, and more UNIQUE bosses. Shrines got on my nerves after the 374720038th one, especially the music. I miss temples.

The world feels too barren. And yes, I'm aware that it takes place in a time where everything was destroyed (sure seems like an easy way to have the bare minimum amount of structures in the land). So many design choices in the game scream "WE MADE THIS MAP TOO BIG, HOW DO WE FILL IT?"

Koroks are useless, shrines sucked all the joy out of the game, you see 90% of the enemies within the first few hours of the game, everything has the same aesthetic (can you say LAZY??)- the shrines, the divine beasts, (Jesus Christ, can we get something unique??) and you fight basically the same boss 4 times (oh, and did we mention you fight those bosses AGAIN in the DLC?!?!). Shame on you Nintendo. You might've fooled most people who played the game, but I see through your bullshit.

I only write about this so passionately because I love the Zelda franchise and hate to dislike any mainline game. I didn't HATE the game, but there are so many glaring faults, and it disappointed me, A LOT.

2. RJF

RJF

*whistles*

3. I don't mean to be so edgy with my opinions but it's how I genuinely feel about the game.

*Anxiously awaits furious rebuttals*

4. I mean, sis, if you think we're all bamboozled by Nintendo, I mean sure, but lol, I mean, live your life. I got 130+ hours of joy out of that game and something that made me feel like no game ever had. So, womp womp on me I guess.

LE0Night, Animalia, otenkiame and 5 others like this.
  5. I was being quite dramatic with that line, but I ended up clocking in roughly the same amount of play time. I sincerely wish I enjoyed it as much as you did. I wanted to love the game. I pre-ordered it and picked it up at launch, and was really excited. Like I said, I didn't hate the game, I just wish it was better.

6. RJF

RJF

I feel like this is a weird thing to complain about when it makes sense in the storyline the game throws up, along with actually being a strength. Of course the shrines all have the same aesthetic; they were all made by the same tribe. The Divine Beasts (and the Scourges/Blights within them) all share the same aesthetic because they're all connected. The game has a strong visual identity; it's not laziness. Complaints about the musical score... are also completely wild to me.

I don't really know what to tell you about the world, let alone the complaint of the map being too big. I found Hyrule in this game to be utterly awe-inspiring. The DLC is what it is. I simply liked having the excuse of diving back into the game with something new to do (although yeah, your complaint about fighting the same bosses over and over again is valid) and liked how it fleshed out the Champions a little.

Like, the game isn't without its flaws. My biggest problem from the storyline is how absent Ganon (or maybe Ganondorf) as a character feels. He's just a pretty faceless beast you fight at the end instead of being a true antagonist to the plot, but then that also adds to barren loneliness that sets the tone of the game so well.

7. I don't know if this is even worth it as your mind seems to be pretty set on it, but well...

One of the main purposes of this game is exploration, the "lazy" barren space you refer to is essential. The beauty in this game is running or climbing for ages and finally stumbling upon a new town, or finding a secret. If the game filled up every space with surprises, enemies or what have you, it would completely defeat the purpose.

Koroks are not useless, they add a small task between reaching different places and they add up to give you more inventory which is essential (I'll only agree on the final prize for all 900 being useless). I don't know how you can say everything has the same aesthetic... every town is unique, every area has it's own identity, I know I have places I love and others I despise and that's due to how different they are. As far as Shrine's and the Divine Beasts go, yes of course they're similar, it's due to their origin and is explained in-game.

I'd also argue that the need for "themed" dungeons isn't necessary here; in past games every dungeon or temple had it's own theme that exaggerated a certain element (fire, water, wind, etc.), but this Hyrule gives us all those elements playing with each other in the over world while you explore... The shrines and Divine Beasts in this case are kind of a "break" from the natural elements.

I can also agree a bit on enemy variety (there are about half the amount of enemies compared to OoT, although if you consider the colour / element variations with each enemy, there are actually more), but again I think the beauty in this game lies in other things... you're not just faced with threats from enemies, you have to deal with the threats of the weather, heat and cold, being struck by lightning, boulders falling on you, thinking you have enough stamina to climb a mountain and falling to your death, etc.

This game is absolutely amazing and beautiful, but you won't get too far if you're expecting everything from previous Zelda's slapped on to an open world dynamic. This is their first 3D open world and their focus was put on the physics, the interactions between everything and bringing the Hyrule to life (from how fire can burn your surroundings, to seeing NPC's react and fight off enemies), and that's the beauty in this game.

Maybe in the sequel they'll be able to bring back other old-school Zelda elements such as themed dungeons and more enemy variety, but to accuse this game of being lazy... sis.

Edit: I'd also like to mention that I've clocked in 220 hours in this game and climbing the top of a mountain and watching the sunset is still beautiful to me.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2018
  8. Phew.

It's such an expected criticism. Breath of the Wild has become one of if not my absolute favorite Zelda game. It's a rebirth the series has so desperately needed since Twilight Princess. If it were another "Go get these three McGuffins and now go get another 4!" type plot I would have been lost by the fourth dungeon like I was in Skyward Sword.

I do think the lack of enemy variety was probably the biggest disappointment, but there was something so beautiful and perfect exploring a barren, destructed Hyrule for hours and hours and hours. Hell in the second DLC I was still finding places I never hit in my first two rounds.

The somberness and sense of hopeless defined the game, I think the soundtrack was excellent and perfectly fit the mood. Hell every location had two different 6 minute long tracks for day and night. I liked the shrines and divine beasts because of how easy it was to pick up the switch, beat a shrine and then put it back down. Compared to the foreboding lengths of the dungeons in Skyward Sword it was positively refreshing to get that satisfaction and challenge in bits and bites.

Would I like to see dungeons come back? Yes, but not in their traditional sense. I'm very excited for the next title, between Breath and A Link Between Worlds I think Nintendo has truly reinvented the wheel with Zelda.

9. 1. By everything having the same aesthetic, I was referring to the shrines and divine beasts. I realize WHY they all look the same, I did play the game and beat it. Hell, I liked it enough to pay for the DLC.

2. Not complaining about the musical score in general, just the fact that I have to hear that maddening shrine music throughout the whole game. I liked it at first, but it did begin to grate my nerves at some point.

3. I like the idea of open space, that's what interested me most about this game. I just feel like there aren't enough new things to discover after a while. For example, my desire to explore wained when I realized there were still so many huge areas I hadn't explored, but knew that all I was going to find is a damn korok. I need more unique rewards to maintain my interest.

5. The koroks are not useless until they are. There comes a point where you can really do without any more weapon slots. Am I the only one that sees 900 koroks as a way to fill up the map? Include only 250 koroks and does the map seem pretty dead to you? And yes, again, I realize "that's the point". Let Nintendo make a map this big with a world that isn't destroyed and I will congratulate them. A lot of the plot points seem like an extremely convenient way to not have to render any new assets. You mean to tell me there's 900 koroks, and only 4 or 5 variations? I mean, how hard is it to make some of them look a little different so it feels like I'm discovering something new instead of finding the same damn koroks over and over and over. And maybe the koroks could've been used as a way to give you hints or information about a specific area instead of them giving me the same 2 sentences? But how will they fill 900 koroks with some unique text...? Is it really that time consuming?

6. Also, why are there foxes everywhere? I feel like there could be a larger variety of animals to discover.

7. Yes, the map is barren of structures, but it's also barren of shrubbery and unique trees. The forests are actually pretty pathetic. The landscapes are all way too similar so I don't even feel like exploring too much at a certain point. Oh, look, here's another rock mountain. What about a chapparal like area? Do they know what bushes and shrubs are? Also, the koroks forest sucked.

8. Maybe I should also say that I actually loved a lot of the elements in this game, that's why I'm extra critical of the points where it can improve.

10. I mean sis if foxes are a reason you disliked the game then case closed here.

papatrick likes this.
  11. I think it’s normal to be quite critical as a Zelda fan, as the games have such a legacy to live up to. And when the dust settles after each new Zelda release, I’m left thinking “is this my new favourite game ever?”

Playing Ocarina for the first time had such a massive impact on me. I’ll always consider the story one of the best in video game history and, even now, the scale, ambition, musical score, atmosphere and dungeon design are a wonder to behold. I’ll never forget finally defeating Ganon (after many attempts and as many fairies as I could store) under the ruins of the castle.

Each Zelda game that came after it was in its shadow. Although, miraculously and insanely, each game managed to defy the odds and show me something entirely new to adore about Link’s world. The suspense and intrigue of Majora’s Mask... the enormous heart of Wind Waker... the innovative dungeons of Twilight Princess (and turning into a fucking wolf). Skyward Sword wasn’t totally terrible but that was the first time where a Zelda game really failed to live up to its name.

With the release of Breath Of The Wild obviously the question came up in my mind again: How does it compare to Ocarina? And although I agree with the criticisms being made, these would only change the game from a 99% to a 100%
    And I do think that Nintendo will listen and perhaps factor those elements into the next release. But, for now, I really struggle to see how they could top this.

LE0Night, spiffyg and mattyjayy like this.
  12. The game needs more prairie dogs. 0/10.

13. I didn't say I disliked the inclusion of foxes, there are just too many of them just about everywhere. It's just another aspect of the game that lacks variety.

I'm just going to keep going here...

I didn't like the memories at all.

The voice acting was decent to atrotious. Zelda and Mipha were the worst of them, unless I'm forgetting some other offenders.

The final boss was a bit of a let down and the story itself was pretty meh, but it is a Zelda game so I wasn't expecting anything profound in that regard.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2018
  14. I mean, a lot of the criticism is valid, but I think you have to look at the bigger picture.

Expecting every Korok to have their own dialogue? More wild life variety? More enemy variety? Okay, valid points... but remember the context... you're in the biggest open world that's been created, with a physics engine created from scratch that allows everything to interact with each other, a lively world that either punishes you or works at your advantage depending on you and your decisions...

It's truly unique and new, they've built something amazing in terms of mechanics, and they've actually made it beautiful from a visual stand point...

15. I agree. They did craft a wonderful engine and I hope they can vastly expand on it in the next game now that they have the bones in place.

chriscrk likes this.
  16. My only real criticism of the game is that Link has been asleep for 100 years(?) but everybody remembers him and acts like it's been 6 months since Ganon destroyed everything. It's a weird little discrepancy that blame on th translation but it's a little jarring.

Otherwise 10s across the board.

17. You can go to hell and fck yourself...

I'm totally kidding haha.
    I completely understand your points and to an extent, I agree.
    I greatly enjoyed the game, but I'm not feeling a big rush to replay it yet...
    I hate that it is set in a world of ruins, because that is exactly why they did it, to not have much work in terms on content. Which sucks because Hyrule seemed at its most glorious in that world!
    I love the world size, but make it more sense, bigger forests, more trees, higher mountains.
    I want each area to really be secluded to it's own...

spiffyg likes this.
  18. My only complaint is the Korok's hiding at the top of Hyrule Castle or the Temple of Time.

Like, I climb all my way up there and get to see the amazing 360º view of Hyrule, but if I dare reveal the Korok, I'll never be able to enjoy that again. Plus their little music theme kills the mood.
    and also death mountain. girl, if my wooden weapons are burning so are you.

Tribal Spaceman and spiffyg like this.
  19. I'll give you the shrines thing. Part of what makes a Zelda game for me is getting lost in the design of the themed, carefully crafted labyrinths for me to spend an afternoon in. That they stripped those back to the Divine Beasts and dozens of mini-puzzles felt cheap. And yeah, maybe even a little lazy.

Otherwise, I think the game earned its praise. I feel like I've played some barren games in the past year but Zelda ain't one of them. And when it was empty, it felt like coming up for air after doing something else. Dare I say Breath of the Wild is a peaceful game, in that way?

ThisIsRogue and Tribal Spaceman like this.