Zeroes To Heroes: The Disney Classics Rate (#65) | Page 46 | The Popjustice Forum
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Zeroes To Heroes: The Disney Classics Rate (#65)

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by Animalia, Apr 10, 2017.

1. Okay so if I can stop bopping to Swish Swish any time soon I'll get working on delving further into our bottom ten! Any predictions?
    Oh my god this is amazing. Didn't they tell you that Peppa was a savage??

Lost Boy and send photo like this.
  2. I hope this isn't a hint...

3. Dddd, my Mom is not going to be happy about the Give A Little Whistle elimination and it probably won't be the last one where she is the only 10.

4. Mvnl

Mvnl Moderator

Wait, your mom actually voted in this? Amazing.

Also, for the next rate can I submit extra votes for my father, mother, and 12 brothers?

5. Hah, I can confirm that @DJHazey's scores & his mother's vary a lot, so either there were no shenanigans, or he's really bad at it.

6. It better not be, Savages is amazing.

Alouder98, LKane, Mina and 1 other person like this.
  7. Sure if you want to track down everyone for their scores, because I actually got my scores directly from her.

She's already voted in the Buffy Character rate, Angel Character rate, my Dad also voted in the Star Wars rate, and they are both currently doing the Buffy Episodes rate. Once they found out about rates they asked if they could do their own scores for fun, I mentioned it off-hand and it turned into a demand for their actual scores and it started long ago as you can see.

Last edited: May 19, 2017
    HollyDunnSomething, alanmr and Mvnl like this.
  8. Dear sis @Mvnl clearly just wants 14 other people sharing ha 11. Not a bad plan, all told.

I love how there is absolute no question whether Mama Hazey is bad at it. The true expert Disney connoisseur of the rate.

DJHazey and Mina like this.
  9. Mvnl

Mvnl Moderator

I can't help that my family all have extremely similar taste!

DJHazey, alanmr and Mina like this.
  10. Right, let's do this.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Trust In Me

Highest Score: 9 x2 (@Aester, @kalonite)
    Lowest Score: 1 x4 (@Robsolete, @Daniel!, @Mikl C, @Subwaykid)

My score: 5.5

Wokety Perry strikes again as we say goodbye to our own untrustworthy snake the very same day she drops her thinly-veiled Taylor diss track. What kind of divine pop intervention? So it’s goodbye to our most recent song to date, jumping forward to the heady daze of the late 60s as we lose what I guess is our second villain song? Shere Khan probably counts as the film’s main antagonist, but he doesn’t have a song and Kaa’s literally trying to eat a child here so this is close enough if you ask me. If you think you recognise that voice, that’s cause it’s only Winnie The fucking Pooh trying to lull you into slumber so he can devour your body whole. I never did trust that guy. Sterling Holloway does a pretty sterling job with the soft, hypnotic voice work and, as always for The Jungle Book, the scene itself is incredibly well done and looks lovely, but the song’s just a bit… sleepy. Which I guess is what it was aiming for, but that don’t mean we gotta like it.

This is our first loss for the fabled brotherly duo Robert and Richard Sherman, who may only boast a few tracks in Disney’s animated catalogue, but scored the likes of Mary Poppins and Bedknobs & Broomsticks, and also cursed us with the obnoxiously infectious It’s A Small World (After All), so it’d be remiss of me not to give them a wee shoutout. The Sherman Brothers were roped into write a new soundtrack for The Jungle Book after the producers decided the film kept too closely to the source material and needed lightening up a little. So… they wrote this? ‘kay. Trust In Me is actually a re-working of a song originally intended for Mary Poppins, titled “The Land of Sand” – which at first glance, might elicit a sigh of concern, but it’s really not as bad as it sounds, thankfully.

You guys had surprisingly little to say about this, perhaps the lullaby worked? constantino’s too #woke for it to work on him though, screaming “Not today, Satan. NOT TODAY.”, and send photo has suspicions about Winnie the Pooh’s reptile cousin too, stating “Kaa is on a registry somewhere.” Eek. LKane isn’t impressed: “Boring… in the context of the movie it’s fine, but just that. Kind of a boring lullaby.”, but Raichu finds himself falling for those subtle charms: “That snake is alluring and I found that the song was creeping under my skin after a while.” I tried to find a screenshot of a Raichu vs. Ekans battle and instead found… this.

Appropriate, but… why. Most of you were repulsed by Kaa’s limbless, scaly curves though. iheartpoptarts admits “I’ve never even seen this one, but I’m pretty sure you’re not supposed to trust the snake.” and Sprockrooster agrees, reminding us to “Never trust a snake”, while MollieSwift21 is apparently having second-thoughts about their username, stating “Snakes are the worst”. Mina recoils in horror, twice: “Oh my god a giant snake… and Scar Jo really should not sing.” Yeah her version is pretty terrible, no idea why they felt the need to turn it into a jazzy Bond theme kinda number. “It’s very surprising he can hypnotise anyone with such a raspy voice”, MamaHazey doubts. Oh yeah? Tell that to Alaska.

[​IMG]

DJHazey gives with one hand, then taketh away with the other: “Iconic lisp, but it’s hardly a song if I’m being completely honest.” I’m surprised you didn’t mention a certain cover, but I guess the irony in Selena of all people covering a whispery snakesong intended to induce sleep in its victims wasn’t lost on ya. Finally, kalonite offers up a sinister explanation for his generous score of 9: “Evil Winnie the Pooh was always my favourite character in the Jungle Book. I was capitivated by this song as a kid. I’m pretty sure it’s cause of the weird, sleepy, hungry vocals and the crazy snake contortion visuals, but it might just have been the:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. As a Slytherin, I feel very attacked by this.

Mina, LKane, kalonite and 1 other person like this.
  12. What's wrong with you all, this is NOT down there with the literal racist nonsense?!?

I would very much like to be excluded from this narrative, one that I have never asked to be a part of, since 1967.

13. Oh dear. Before I admit to my lack of professionalism I will say that I've just re-read my scores and all the remaining ones are correct... However, I meant to give this song a 1 because, ya know, it's barely a song.

Oops.

Sorry.

alanmr and Animalia like this.
  14. Oop, no worries! Quick edit: Give A Little Whistle now ties with Trust In Me for #91! Jiminy will be ecstatic.

Mvnl, DJHazey, LKane and 1 other person like this.
  15. Lol!

I'll admit that someone told me once that I was like a snake... :( oh no, bad memories.

Animalia likes this.
  16. MollieSwift21

MollieSwift21 Moderator

I would very much like to excluded from this narrative.

The jungle book overall is one of my least liked Disney animated movies.

Mvnl, DJHazey, Mina and 3 others like this.
  17. [​IMG]

Mvnl, alanmr, Mina and 1 other person like this.
  18. Oops, I liked this one but it is very short so I understand why it went out so early.

Also I'm screaming at the write-up. Selena and Taylor's shade and that Katy Perry GIF are amazing.

19. Who's Alaska? Is that the Thunder-something or other?

I don't know that Selena song and I'm fairly certain that clicking it won't end well.

Animalia likes this.
  20. I don't love that song, but I gave it a decent score because... well, it has a goal and it accomplished it. Also, I can't not give points to anything involving Sterling Holloway. Most iconic Disney voice actor teebs.

Aester and Animalia like this.