Zeroes To Heroes: The Disney Classics Rate (#66) | Page 47 | The Popjustice Forum
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Zeroes To Heroes: The Disney Classics Rate (#66)

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by Animalia, Apr 10, 2017.

1. Alaska Thunderfuck, yep! I always forget that Drag Race references are quite as ubiquitous as I assume.

Honestly the Selena Gomez cover is pretty decent, it's certainly more lively than the original!

send photo and DJHazey like this.
  2. That Peppa Pig video a few pages ago just made my day.

As for Trust In Me, it's just way too weird.

MollieSwift21 and Mina like this.
  3. The only thing I really know about the show in any way is that bop "Sissy That Walk". I wouldn't be against watching the series sometime, but I never started at the beginning and I'm not sure about jumping into the middle somewhere.

Animalia likes this.
  4. Not a bad cover actually. Better than the siamese Duff sisters one.

Animalia likes this.
  5. Hahaha! Possibly my favorite end to a write up EVER!
    [​IMG]

Mvnl, Mina, kalonite and 1 other person like this.
  6. Saw the new Alien Movie last night and LOVED IT!!! It's the best since Aliens in my opinion. Ripley would be proud!

Animalia likes this.
  7. If you like Project Runway, I'm sure you'd enjoy Drag Race! You've probably seen 90% of it in gif-form over the years here anyway. (The first season is pretty terrible though, I'd recommend watching from 2 onwards then going back for a wee laugh if you do get around to picking it up!)

8. Not mad at any of the cuts. So far this is progressing quite nicely. That Katy, Taylor gif @Animalia made won the internet for me today! I busted a gut laughing at work and got some stares but totally worth it!

Animalia, Alouder98 and kalonite like this.
  9. [​IMG]

LKane, Animalia, Mina and 1 other person like this.
  10. Ready for Baby Mine, Someday My Prince Will Come, Bella Note or one of those Aristocat songs to go next.

Alouder98 and Animalia like this.
  11. I'm a sucker for the villain songs, and "Trust In Me" is a perfectly creepy one. (And I, too, enjoy that it's basically Evil Winnie the Pooh.) But I expected this to go early, so oh well.

Mina, Animalia and kalonite like this.
  12. haha please keep posting these Bjork references. I love it! haha

DJHazey likes this.
  13. ...You have no heart. It's so beautiful... *sniff*... sorry, I got something in my eye. And my other eye.

GimmeWork likes this.
  14. [​IMG]

15. I warned you guys.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Scales And Arpeggios

Highest Score: 9 x3 (@iheartpoptarts, @constantino, @Aester)
    Lowest Score: 0 x1 (@DJHazey)

My Score: 5.5

Ah, and here we see the first of many obstacles in Hazey and poptarts’ famous allegiance, and that obstacle is… kittens? Who knew. After the first few Pokémon rates, I kinda expected this to fare a bit better off the back of its unbearable cuteness, but here we are taking our first dip into Disney’s Bronze Age, with The Aristocats being the last film Walt Disney himself gave the green light before passing away in 1966. It was a difficult time for the studio, rife with internal conflict and all sorts of issues, as a result of which the Sherman Brothers left on bad terms and most of their songs for The Aristocats were scrapped. The jazzy title track (which I didn’t know existed until now nn sorry) and Scales and Arpeggios were the only survivors, and here we are casting it into the fiery pit within the first ten cuts. Oops. The scene itself is adorable enough, but lord if the song’s not a bit of a screechy racket out of context. I suppose the kittens’ clumsy vocals are meant to be part of the song’s charm, but honestly Duchess should’ve just kept ‘em locked up and given herself an iconic solo.

Apparently Eva Gabor couldn’t sing for shit though, so she roped in Robie Lester to fill in for her when it came to Duchess’ singing voice. Wikipedia tells me Lester was a Grammy-nominated legend of the 60s TV commercial world, but it also tells me that her autobiography was titled Lingerie For Hookers In The Snow: An Audiography of a Voice Artist, which I’m sure you’ll agree is far more interesting. Queen.

It seems most of you might as well have watched the video on mute, and no one would’ve blamed you. Reboot opens up with a rallying call of “I LOVE CATS.”, and constantino answers in turn: “I LOVE CATS SO MUCH THIS IS ADORABLE.”, as do MollieSwift21: “The majority of the points here are for them being cats”, eccentricsimply: “Adorable”, iheartpoptarts: “Bonus marks for cuteness.” and Weslicious: “The kittens are cute as hell, but this is too close to kids singing which is actual hell!”. Yeesh, we’re a few Minion memes away from an embarrassing mom Facebook group. Save us DJHazey! “I didn’t come here for infant-pop. BE GONE BEAST!” Wait... who are you and what have you done with Hazey? GhettoPrincess backs you up with a swift “Ouch” though, and LKane isn’t feeling it either: “This is a cute song, but that’s all. Nothing interesting in particular I think.”

Sprockrooster brings up the question I was dreading: “No idea what arpeggios are, but I’m bopping nonetheless. Kind of forgot how the Dutch version goes.” Uh… my music theory is atrocious, so I’ll let someone else give a better (read: correct) answer. “Not really that compelling overall,” Raichu notes, “but its cuteness works in its favour. Mama cat’s harmonies add a nice touch.” As nice as a hookers’ lingerie in the snow though? I doubt it. kalonite is super proud of the ~hilarious~ pun he came up with for this, but I’ll let you guys be the judges of that. Here it is… y’all ready? … *drum roll* … “Arpeggi-no.” … yeah. Just be grateful you guys don’t have to live with him. Finally, Mina points out an unlikely similarity: “Parts of this sound uncannily like the Arthur classic Crazy Bus. *takes a dance break* When is the Arthur rate happening?” We’re swiftly running out of things to rate teebs so it probably won’t be too long.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 19, 2017
  16. Yeah, good choice. It's cute. It's also BORING. (Hey, appropriate for the film then!)

(Arpeggio: A technique where the notes that comprise a chord are played individually, also called "broken chords". Never let it be said that I do nothing for you @Sprockrooster .)

17. ...

[​IMG]

18. I have a stuffed toy and a sweater from one of the cats from Aristocats because we share a name nñn, but I don't care much for that movie.

Animalia likes this.
  19. Oh and I love cats, but it wasn't going to help my score for that.

Mvnl, GimmeWork and Animalia like this.
  20. How very Cruella of you!

(Also please tell me your name is Duchess.)