13 Reasons Why

Justin and Jessica have some of the best chemistry of any of these kind of TV shows.

Also wintson omggggf

Personally tho, Alex being the killer didn’t really make sense to me. It should’ve been someone with more motive that was a deeper member of the group, which would explain why they covered it up.

Also idk anyone else who agrees, but the Monty plot is really realistic and quality. i’ve seen several people irl who have concealed their sexuality due to their family’s beliefs and it builds up a lot of rage and hatred this way. I think the way they handled it and the way it ended in a death, shows the depth of things

In general, I’m a strong defender of this season. People can disagree, but this season shows the WHOLE TRUTH of situations. The actors showed what causes people to do evil things and that horrible people can still be good in certain situations, which is why our judgement of good/evil is also based upon perception and background knowledge.

And I wasn’t her biggest fan, but Ani was a way better narrator than Clay. At least she had a cute accent and was more honest as a narrator.

I finally finished this season, and I’m frustrated I even bothered. I will defend Season 1 until my death, and Season 2 really turned into something incredible by the end (excluding the final 20 minutes), but this season undid any goodwill from the last two.

Ani was a pointless character who might as well have been an off-screen narrator, considering she wasn’t developed as anything more. Heck, most of the things she revealed she wouldn’t even be aware of. It was a wasted opportunity to develop any of the characters already on the show. She also helped make Clay equally insufferable, and it took everything in me not to be mad he wasn’t left in prison or ran off for good.

The handling of Clay & Monty’s respective storylines felt insulting, irresponsible, and completely unnecessary.

This season, the writers really made the mistake of not understanding the show so ultimately Jessica’s story, and anything without her will always be a waste of time.

The amount of plotholes....too painful to ignore. Don’t even feel it’s worth listing them all out, but will mention these glaring oversights: the continuous mentions of the Clay/Bryce gun confrontation at the Walker home randomly found on security footage while NUMEROUS other related incidents at the Walker home that would have just as easily been found on security footage go completely ignored. Similarly, Ani tells the police to ‘check the tapes’ about unimportant events at the docks to backup her stories...and yet, there is conveniently no footage of the murder at the center of the show at the same docks? It’s rookie writing mishaps like these that made this entire ‘mystery’ completely uninteresting for me. I couldn’t tell who was making this all up as they went along: Ani or the show’s writers.

Also, Mary Alice Young & Dr. Addison Montgomery really carry everything on their back, and any scene without them (i.e. most of the season) is useless.

Last edited:
I found it a bit jarring to begin with but got into it after a few episodes. There were some great storylines; Jessica and Tyler specifically (let’s also not forget Monty topping). I particularly liked seeing Justin stand up during Jess’ speech, maybe it was a bit on the nose but it certainly brought her point home about not always being aware of who has been affected by assault.

Ani... Was not great. My sympathies to the actress as I think they tried to push far too hard that the character suddenly became friends with everyone and knew the ins and outs of what had gone on. It was poor writing and it wouldn’t have mattered who they got in. Tony has always felt a little awkward as a character and it could’ve provided him with something to do to have him as the narrator; he’s always separate enough to be an outsider and observer on the rest of the characters, but has a strong relationship with Clay as the series lead.

I feel awful for the actor playing Ani - she gave a wonderful performance, but the character was so poorly written/handled, there's nothing any actor could have done to redeem the character.

I also despised the aesthetics of this season. It all looked so monochrome and flat; I found myself wondering if this was suddenly set in the Walking Dead universe. You certainly need the color changes to explain the time jumps, but the saturation was turned down so much through the entire show, it often became impossible for me to tell where we were in timeline. It didn't reflect the rich shots of the earlier seasons, and only contributed to this feeling like a completely different series.

I feel awful for the actor playing Ani - she gave a wonderful performance, but the character was so poorly written/handled, there's nothing any actor could have done to redeem the character.

I also despised the aesthetics of this season. It all looked so monochrome and flat; I found myself wondering if this was suddenly set in the Walking Dead universe. You certainly need the color changes to explain the time jumps, but the saturation was turned down so much through the entire show, it often became impossible for me to tell where we were in timeline. It didn't reflect the rich shots of the earlier seasons, and only contributed to this feeling like a completely different series.
The decision to have "now" be so drab-looking and the past be so colourful was such an odd choice. The shifting aspect ratio also made no sense. The contrast was much more subtle in the previous seasons, to the point where I felt they made sure Clay always had some sort of injury to help with the differentiation (plus obviously Hannah being alive signaled a flashback).

I get why they made the present so dreary, since there was a murder looming over the town, execution wasn't great but I can see that was the intent.

I get why they made the present so dreary, since there was a murder looming over the town, execution wasn't great but I can see that was the intent.
I mean, I definitely got the whole "murder is dark" angle they were going for, but how is the murder of someone no one really liked any worse than all the shit these teens have had to endure? It showed that they didn't actually think it through enough which... shouldn't be suprising, to say the least.

I mean, I definitely got the whole "murder is dark" angle they were going for, but how is the murder of someone no one really liked any worse than all the shit these teens have had to endure? It showed that they didn't actually think it through enough which... shouldn't be suprising, to say the least.

Well whether no ond liked him or not shouldn't matter his murder was still haveling a major impact on the lives of those same people. A lot of people were spiraling over time because of the events of that murder.

So I've just finished the season because I was waiting for my sister to catch up and...

It's kind of a scream how almost nothing made sense dddd. At least it wasn't a boring disaster like season 2 but, like, if I was to make a list of all the things that don't make sense here I would write an essay.

In short tho:
- Ani being an annoying character all season long only to... be there to make Clay jealous?
- Bryce being given a redemption arc but Monty being sent to prison, killed and blamed for a murder in the space of 30 minutes?
- The dialogues being terrible and completely out of tone for all season? Ani making a declaration of Independence-level speech while being at the police office? Broken mirrors? "I'm thankful for my boyfriend <3", "I'm thankful for my family <3", "I'm an addict lol" ???
- Nice to see two seconds of gay sex, but all I wanted was a Tony+Caleb OnlyFans moment.
- The whole handling of queer characters, feminism and abuse was way off most of the time.
- Hopefully they are not setting up a season 4 based only on the guns found in the river and the Monty sex partner.

Overall I kinda enjoyed Tyler, Justin and the the four moms.

Also I've just realised Ryan, Sheri and Skye were not in this season? Talent!

So I've just finished the season too and...
The timeline was hard to understand for me. I hated the way it was filmed and the colours used. It made this season look so beige.

My favourite scene was:
giphy.gif

Her character is very inspirational.

That Ani girl was like a fly in the ointment.
Making her having sex with Bryce just to show that he can have sex with a girl without raping her, like seriously? Is this supposed to make her look as an open-minded not judging girl? Cause to me she just looked like a stupid girl.

I totally agree with the camera on the docks nonsense. I didn't know I was watching Pretty Little Liars.

At first I was mad too that they were trying to make Bryce appear as a victim but I don't think that's how he was painted at the end. I think it was meant to show that everybody has its story, bagages. Nothing is black or white. I thought it was more a way to show why he was like this, the environment he grew up in. It shows that people are complex. Yet until the end he remains Bryce, you can clearly see it in that scene on the docks and on the field. He's still a jerk and hasn't really change which he confirmed in his tape.

I'm still disappointed by the end. Monty being responsable for a crime he didn't commit? I mean justice was serve he was in jail. I mean I don't like Bryce but killing him was a bad move. So being a rapist is bad but a killer fine? I mean I wish they'd have made Alex look like he was going to push Bryce just to stop himself from doing it and saying something like: "How does it feel to be powerless? That's what Hannah, Jess and the other girls felt. I could end you right now just like you abused them. But unlike you i'm not a piece of shit."
Or somehting like that. Something that would have made Alex a bigger character.

I can't believe this season could be resume like this:
- Where were you after the homecoming night?
- How do I know I can trust you?
- Who's taking care of Tyler?

So much time lost with useless conversations full of lies for a disappointing end.
I wish they would have focused more on the relationships than the investigation.
I wanted more of this:
giphy.gif
Episode 5 thoughts -

And finally if Alex and Clay are 'skinny' then I don't even want to know what I'd be called. They both look healthy and in shape and I know it's just lighthearted comments but still a bit annoying how skinny shaming is so acceptable in a show that's supposed to be this progressive.
I totally agree on this. That says a lot about our society.
That 'fight the patriarchy' girl in episode 3 looks like she came straight out of Tumblr with that look and dialogue. Why do these shows always have to stereotype these girls to look like this when they're talking about these issues?
I instantly recognized the actress as she played on Scream on MTV. The actress really looks like that in real life though. But yes I would have liked a less stereotyped character too.

Last edited: