1960's First Hit Songs Rank (RESULTS: WINNER)

M

Maleström

Re: 1960's First Hit Song Rank (ROUND 1: NOMINATIONS--SUBMIT 5 By DECEMBER 5)

Wait, did I get this right? We are to pick songs that "best represent the decade" but not necessarily our favourite first hits?

And unless other people nominate them too, they won't be even heard?

Also: how will the second round be compiled, if, say, only ten songs get multiple nominations and a hundred remain at one nomination each?

Re: 1960's First Hit Song Rank (ROUND 1: NOMINATIONS--SUBMIT 5 By DECEMBER 5)

You should pick your favorite first hits. Put your favorite at 1 and by default your least favorite at 5 etc. which will only be taken into account if the second issue arises.

M

Maleström

Re: 1960's First Hit Song Rank (ROUND 1: NOMINATIONS--SUBMIT 5 By DECEMBER 7)

PM me a list of 5 artists and the songs that were the first to reach a mass audience, ie the first to make an impact on the UK or US main charts (or France for example
This allowance for hitdom in just about any country sure made nominating even more interesting for myself.

Of course, some of my choices won't likely get any other votes - but I'm counting on less than 20 songs getting multiple votes altogether, so one or two of mine might make the second round anyway... (hint hint)

Here's a list of Possible songs I compiled that you can nominate. You are not limited to this list. All are the first Top 40's for these artists.

Last edited:

Wow, I never saw this thread until now. I'll have to pass on the submission/suggestion round, no brainspace at the moment!

M

Maleström

Well yeah, even I was kinda worried that a mere week to come up with all of five nominations - and to do the research to make sure the songs are everyone's first hits - could be a tall order for most people, what with all the other rates and contests going on at the same time...

Other than that, a 60's round with all these stone cold classics oughta appeal to every serious pop fan!

Less than 33 hours to go to get your nominations in!

Re: 1960's First Hit Song Rank (ROUND 1: NOMINATIONS- 24 HOURS LEFT TO VOTE)

The Voting Round has begun. Go to the first post for all the songs to rank.

M

Maleström

Re: 1960's First Hit Songs Rank (VOTING ENDS: DECEMBER 17th MIDNIGHT)

So everyone's welcome to rate, even if they didn't nominate songs, right?

I'll have a look at this once I'm finished with PJOPS5 voting...

5 days left to go for the voting period. Get them in quick, as no one has voted yet. (Even me, to be fair)

M

Maleström

Even my preliminary look-in promises more full tens than any other rate I've ever participated in... (Not that there've been many, but still)

M

Maleström

Oh and what's the policy on half points and decimals?

^Allowed, sometimes you want to score songs near the same, but still prefer one over another.

Re: 1960's First Hit Songs Rank (RESULTS THIS FRIDAY: #26-#21)

And the results are in! Less voted then expected, but I'll chalk that up to the young Supreme, Beyonce. Anyway the ones who couldn't break the Top 20 will be revealed, now. I'll write more for the songs as we get further in the rank.

26th: Kirka "Hetki Lyo"
The first non-English track to fall, Kirka just qualified for this chart by releasing in 1969 in his native Finland. He went on to be one of the most successful Finish artist, where he currently has the 3rd biggest selling album.

25th: The Beatles "Love Me Do
Shocker boot? Not really, as ranked against many of their other singles and countless album tracks this would probably be in the bottom 3rd of their output. What is somewhat shocking is that there is another Lennon/McCartney written song still to go in this rank.

----

24th: Cilla Black "Love Of The Loved"
And squeaking just past it's writers in the rank is our other Merseyside artist. Reaching #35 on the UK chart, it employs a big band sound combined with Cilla's booming vocal.

23rd: Carola "Kielletyt leikit"
And the other Finish track on the album in the rank leaves early. Carola started out in the early 1960's as a member of various Jazz groups throughout Europe, before achieving solo success in her native Finland starting in the late '60s.

----

22nd: Smokey Robinson and The Miracles "Shop Around"
The first Motown song to leave the chart, it reached #2 on the U.S. chart in 1960. It was certified as the first million seller for the Detroit-based label.

21st: Big Brother And The Holding Company "Piece Of My Heart"
Hitting #12 on the U.S. chart in 1968, it was the only hit for the band and one of only two hits for vocalist Janis Joplin.

M

Maleström

Re: 1960's First Hit Songs Rank (RESULTS: #26-#21)

I even feared that just seeing The Beatles in the list would discourage some people from taking part, as they do get a lot of "the most overrated band in the history of the world" sort of flak around here -- and for this particular single, it could be for a good reason...
And since The Beach Boys' first hit wasn't included either (for obvious quality reasons, I assume), it might have been worth considering to do this thing without either of the giants.