2008 Universal Music Fire | The Popjustice Forum

2008 Universal Music Fire

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by mindtrappa, Jun 15, 2019.

1. I didn’t see a thread on this. The story is insane, and it seems things are heating up (no pun intended), with lawsuits from several artists expected to be filed in the next couple weeks

https://www.npr.org/2019/06/12/7320...hakur-taking-stock-of-the-2008-universal-fire

2. I got...extremely emotional reading about this earlier this week. So much music history, completely turned to ash. I can't believe they tried to cover it up.

3. It’s gobsmacking reading the names of artists, both past and present, that have been impacted by this but this is the paragraph that got me...

4. It’s really hard to get my head around this and the cover up of it – for years. I’m anxious to see just who is planning on filing against UMG.

5. Really tragic.
    Wonder if we'll ever get a full list of what was destroyed.

6. Movie and music archives getting destroyed depresses the fuck out of me.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2019
    andru, Eric Generic and mokitsu like this.
  7. Bloop

nooniebao and mokitsu like this.
  8. This. I suppose sometimes there's nothing that can be done, but you'd hope that any sort of historic archives are protected as much as possible against fire damage.

9. But aren’t there still copies of these recording out there? Like copies people have purchased? Or is this all unreleased stuff?

Eric Generic likes this.
  10. These are the masters, which does include unreleased recordings. The full article in the original post explains it all in-depth.

Eric Generic, nooniebao and irishlamb like this.
  11. I read something about this a week or so ago, but didn't realise there was deception going on too - I just thought it was a really tragic and unfortunate event. Hopefully the artists and estates can see some justice.

Eric Generic likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.