2018 Release Radar [25 May: Halo Maud, Chvrches, Phosphenes, Hatchie, Chad Valley, Clairo, Janine…] | Page 5 | The Popjustice Forum

2018 Release Radar [25 May: Halo Maud, Chvrches, Phosphenes, Hatchie, Chad Valley, Clairo, Janine…]

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by A&E, Dec 25, 2017.

1. Thanks! I didn't know her, but she is great.

2. A&E

A&E

It's been a while but I'm back to this thread, having just updated the lists with what I've got so far. Have I missed anything? Let me know. Now, let me try to quickly catch up with the weekly recommendations!

19th January 2018

First Aid Kit – Ruins
    The Swedish sisters are back, but you already know that – the album made it to #3 in the January PJ charts!

Mai Lan – Autopilote
    This album deserves much more attention. This explosive girl produces songs ranging from bonkers to beautiful.

Porches – The House

St. Beauty – Running to the Sun EP
    The duo's name says it all. A must not only for neo soul/R&B lovers.

Tune-Yards – I Can Feel You Creep Into My Private Life
    An album about confronting your while guilt shouldn't sound this fun.

Wafia – VIII EP
    A long awaited EP from this Australian singer.

Also out that week:
    Belle and Sebastian – How to Solve Human Problems, Part 2/3 EP
    Bownik – Delfina
    Caitlyn Smith – Starfire
    Fall Out Boy – Mania
    Glen Hansard – Between Two Shores
    The Go! Team – Semicircle
    Justine Skye – Ultraviolet

Milck – This Is Not the End EP
    Missy Lancaster – Piece of Me
    Xylouris White – Mother

3. A&E

A&E

26th January 2018

Club 8 – Golden Island
    The Swedish duo's 10th album has a more cold and ambient feel compared to their other offerings, but it's still a thing of eerie beauty.

Hollie Cook – Vessel of Love
    Atmospheric reggae? Hollie Cook proves that it's possible, delivering an album full of grooves that'll make you long for the summer.

Leyya – Sauna
    Leyya are an Austrian band producing off-kilter, laid back pop that quickly gets intoxicating.

Nadine – Oh My
    Not the PJ darling Nuhdeen, but a trio making lovely lounge pop.

Oceana – Can't Stop Thinking About You
    Remember Oceana? She had an European hit with Cry Cry in the late 00s, while Endless Summer was the official song of UEFA Euro 2012 – and the soundtrack to that year's summer. Now, she's returned with a new batch of basic bops.

Also out that week:
    Calexico – The Thread That Keeps Us
    Craig David – The Time Is Now
    Emma – Essere qui
    Flying Horseman – Rooms / Ruins
    Kalie Shorr – Awake EP
    Nightmares on Wax – Shape the Future
    Nils Frahm – All Melody

Turin Brakes – Invisible Storm

Aries, LE0Night, londonrain and 9 others like this.
  4. Aries, Serg., ohnostalgia and 2 others like this.
  5. A&E

A&E

2nd February 2018
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Janice – Fallin Up
    I keep raving about this girl but she really knocked it out of the park with her debut album. She's best pals with Sabina Ddumba – when I saw them live last September they guested on each other's sets with great chemistry – and there are shades of Sabina's style here. However, Janice has her own vision that makes Fallin Up her own. Full of personal lyrics, emotive vocals, and hooks for days – if you skip this album, you'll truly play yourself.

Rae Morris – Someone Out There
    I'm so happy the word has already spread about this album on the forum! Rae's debut showed promise (see the anthemic Under the Shadows led by stomping drums, or the gorgeous title track Unguarded that was written about dating another girl) but wasn't quite it, with the songs written over a good few years and the lack of clear direction. This has been rectified on this album, written and produced with MyRiot and Rae's now-partner Fryars (Starsmith and Ariel Rechtsaid also contributed). The result is a lush album boasting inventive electronic production and showcasing Rae's lyrics and vocals in a new light.

Thea & the Wild – Ikaros
    The second album by Norwegian Thea Glenton Raknes is a sure hit for anyone looking for some fresh indie pop.

Kat Frankie – Bad Behaviour
    More quality indie pop, this time from this Berlin-based singer.

Rhye – Blood
    Robin Hannibal might not be part of the band anymore, but Rhye continue to make lovely, chilled R&B-tinged tunes.

6. A&E

A&E

2nd February 2018 (cont.)

Abbe May – Fruit
    Abbe May is a badass guitarist but it took turning 30 for her to put out what she calls her "coming out record". It is the most personal we've heard her, but it's also funky, soulful, and full of Abbe's usual attitude.

Hanne Kolstø – Fare
    The prolific Norwegian's 7th album in 8 years (and second in her native language) keeps up the quality and boasts some killer tunes (Is is undeniable) alongside some more experimentation.

Drekoty – Lub maszyna dzika trawa
    The Polish indie trio took over 5 years and some personnel changes to prepare their sophomore album but it's been worth the wait.

Anna Burch – Quit the Curse
    Charming guitar-based indie pop.

Hookworms – Microshift
    A cool take on Krautrock, dialling back the guitar feedback in favour of synths and clearer vocals.

Also out that day:
    Awolnation – Here Come the Runts
    Field Music – Open Here
    IAMX – Alive in New Light
    Julie Bergan – Turn On the Lights
    Justin Timberlake – Man of the Whites
    Madison Beer – As She Pleases EP
    Nightwave – Sanctuary EP
    Simple Minds – Walk Between Worlds
    The Soft Moon – Criminal

Aries, LE0Night, Serg. and 11 others like this.
  7. I have stuff to add, just have to find the time to post it.

8. Can you please add "The Aces - When My Heart Felt Volcanic" on April 6th.

constantino and A&E like this.
  9. A&E

A&E

Hey gworls! Time for another update:

9th February 2018

Joan as Police Woman – Damned Devotion
    After trying out a more electronic sound on Let It Be You, Joan Wasser is back to a more laid-back sound, although with more sheen and edge to it than before.

Ravyn Lenae – Crush EP
    This rising Chicagoan's latest EP is a collaboration with The Internet's Steve Lacy.

MGMT – Little Dark Age
    MGMT are back with a new synth-led album, signalling a return to form.

Barbara Wrońska – Dom z ognia (House of Fire)
    A member of several Polish indie pop bands, singer-songwriter and multi-instrumentalist Barbara finally managed to release her self-produced solo debut. A diverse and captivating collection of songs that should catch your ear.

Alice Ivy – I’m Dreaming
    Debut effort from this promising Melbourne producer.

Also out now:
    Cecil Frena
    (fka Born Gold)The Gridlock (@HeartSwells I think you might like this?)
    Don Diablo – Future
    Emmelie de Forestation – History EP
    Franz Ferdinand – Always Ascending
    Geotheory – Interstellar Love EP
    Gliss – Strange Heaven (@ The Raveonettes fans)
    Kendrick Lamar presents: Various Artists & Kendrick Lamar feat. Kendrick Lamar – Black Panther: The Album
    Son Lux – Brighter Wounds
    Susanna – Go Dig My Grave
    (@ Suzan Sandfor fans)
    White Birches – When the Street Calls (@ Chelsea Wolfe fans)
    The Wombats – Beautiful People Will Ruin Your Life

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
    Aries, Serg., HeartSwells and 11 others like this.
  10. Confidence Man's debut album Confident Music For Confident People is out April 13th!

11. A&E

A&E

Hiya, sorry for being late – returning to work after a short hiatus hasn't been to kind to me ddd.

16th February 2018

U.S. Girls – In a Poem Unlimited
    Toronto-based Meghan Remy has been releasing music as U.S. Girls for over a decade now but somehow she only appeared on my radar after my bff @NecessaryVoodoo linked me to the wonderfully eerie jam Pearly Gates. The album is a blend of Meghan's various influences with a significant pop sensibility. It's already gaining traction on the forum – so what are you waiting for?

ionnalee – Everyone Afraid to Be Forgotten
    In the works for several years, this album spans Jonna Lee's journey from before iamamiwhoami to now. The length and track sequencing might be a little off-putting, but there is plenty of goodness to find here.

Dita von Teese – Dita von Teese
    Sensual vocals in a haze of dreamy synths. Crafted by Sébastien Tellier and his wife Amandine de la Richardière, the album is a fitting extension of Dita's persona. You too are invited to this érôtïk ràndy voo todéy.

Ball Park Music – Good Mood
    Guitar-led indie isn't exactly PJ's favourite style (or mine for that matter) but this Brisbane bunch gets more and more charming with each album.

Fisherspooner – Sir
    A collection of bangers about sexual adventures of a middle-aged gay man – more exciting than what you might think. Also human autotune Caroline Polachek appears on several tracks.

Island, LE0Night, constantino and 8 others like this.
  12. A&E

A&E

16th February 2018 (cont.)

Everything Is Recorded – Everything Is Recorded by Richard Russell
    The XL label founder has gathered some brilliant artists on this soulful effort. Vocalists include Ibeyi, Sampha, Syd Bennett and Infinite, while Kamasi Washington, Owen Pallett, Demon Albarn and Rachel Zeffira contribute instrumentally. Check out my flop thread for more songs.

Poliça & Stargaze – Music for the Long Emergency
    In an attempt to change up their sound, human autotune Channy Leaneagh and her band are joined by orchestral project Stargaze on an album about the dire current state of the world.

Loma – Loma
    Juggling rich instrumentation with electronic flourishes while still sounding delicate and controlled – this album is a thing of beauty.

Miracle – The Strife of Love in a Dream
    Honestly I don't know much about these guys other than that they make deliciously dense synthpop. If you liked Ulver's last album or simply enjoy some derk synths, this might be for you.

Pandora Drive – Albino Heart EP
    Karin Park is back! She's joined the English act she'd collaborated with on Hurricane for an EP of more moody electronica.

Also out now:
    Belle and Sebastian – How to Solve Our Human Problems, Part 3/3 EP
    (also available on CD a compilation of all 3 EPs)
    BoA – One Shot, Two Shot EP (first Korean EP)
    BoA – Watashi kono mama de ii no kana (Japanese album)
    Boots – #darkdaze EP
    Brandi Carlile – By the Way I Forgive You

Elise LeGrow – Playing Chess
    Laurie Anderson & Kronos Quartet – Landfall (the avant garde icon collaborates with a renowned quartet)
    Ohashi Trio – Stereo
    Ought – Room Inside the World
    Scandal – Honey
    Sivu – This Unfruitful Love EP (a bunch of extras from the Sweet Sweet Silent sessions)
    Superchunk – What a Time to Be Alive
    Wild Beasts – Last Night All My Dreams Came True (final album – re-recorded songs from their back catalogue)
    3LAU – Ultraviolet (nice electronic bops featuring some anonymous features as well as the wonderful Emma Hewitt)

Aries, LE0Night, Serg. and 11 others like this.
  13. Ray

Ray

I love you

Island and HeartSwells like this.
  14. A&E

A&E

[​IMG]

"moves to TBD"... smh.

Island, Aries, LE0Night and 6 others like this.
  15. A&E

A&E

@ohnostalgia on 30 March:

Aries, LE0Night, HeartSwells and 9 others like this.
  16. A&E

A&E

I'm exhausted and burnt out thanks mostly to my job basically having me do the workload of 2 people right now. Thus, currently I don't have it in me to update this. I aim to return to this around the 23rd March. Capitalism kills, babes xx

In the meantime, go listen to Sarah Blasko's Depth of Field, Le Kov by Gwenno, Katie Herzig's Moment of Bliss and Tracey Thorn's Record.

Aries, LE0Night, HeartSwells and 7 others like this.
  17. Editors new record called "Violence" is out at 9th March.

18. Ray

Ray

Thanks for the update @A&E, I worried you just gave up! Hope things get less busy soon.

A&E and Euphoria like this.
  19. The new Young Fathers album is brilliant.

20. A&E

A&E

Hello again! I've updated the front page with a lot of new stuff and moved some of the postponed albums to their new dates. April is off to a great start with a ton of new releases. Right now I'd like to bring the following albums to your attention:

Wye Oak – The Louder I Call, The Faster It Runs

Young Galaxy – Down Time

More April releases available now:
    The Aces – When My Heart Felt Volcanic
    Alina Baraz – The Colour of You
    Alison Wonderland – Awake
    Amé – Sa couleur
    Cardi B – Invasion of Privacy
    En Vogue – Electric Café
    Flatbush Zombies – Vacation in Hell
    Fenne Lily – On Hold
    Françoise Hardy – Personne d’autre
    Gin Wigmore – Ivory
    Jones – London EP
    Kali Uchis – Isolation
    Kevin George – Loveland EP
    Kylie Minogue – Golden
    Lisa Stansfield – Deeper
    Little Boots – Burn EP
    Lydia Képinski – Premier juin
    Odie – Analogue
    SG Lewis – Dusk EP
    Soft as Snow – Deep Wave
    Unknown Mortal Orchestra – Sex & Food
    Young Galaxy – Down Time
    Zola Jesus – Okovi: Additions
    [Various Artists] – Eurovision Song Contest Lisbon 2018
    [Various Artists] – Restoration: The Songs of Elton John & Bernie Taupin
    [Various Artists] – Revamp: The Songs of Elton John & Bernie Taupin
    [Various Artists] – Universal Love EP

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.