2018 Trend Predictor | The Popjustice Forum

2018 Trend Predictor

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by bestinase, Dec 23, 2017.

1. [​IMG]

Apart from my hangover and general self-loathing on the 1st of January, what's going to be big in 2018? Here's a few predictions to kick y'all off.

Even more Latin
    This looks like it'll be dragged well into summer 2018: expect more remixes, Spanglish re-hashes, and artists attempting to snatch their own 'Havana' by acts from both sides of the Atlantic. On the plus side, it means that artists from Latin America can genuinely break through in a way that wasn't possible a couple of years ago.

RIP tropi-pop. What's next?
    For the dancier side of pop, despite being a surefire way to 'bop' status this is already dead and buried. What's going to replace it? I'd look towards a resurgance in something like UK Garage, which hasn't come back properly since it smashed in the early 2000s and has a similar kind of summery quality to it.

In-house/'one stop shop' production
    Charli XCX's relationship with AG Cook means she can make records cheaply and quickly, Camila Cabello's album was done almost entirely by a production team at her management company, Lorde was locked away with Jack Antonoff at his gaff. It's a smart way for everyone to cut costs and work at a faster pace than scheduling time with endless big name producers, and often creates a more cohesive product.

Less trap
    On the urban and rap side, I think we'll hear a move from the clattering, skittering drums of trap – which is starting to sound a little tired – to something bouncier and fun: think Migos' brilliant new 'Stir Fry', NERD's 'Lemon', or Brockhampton, all of which feel like a completely fresh take and could usher in a new sound palette for 2018.

Cassettes
    Vinyl production times are getting worse (the Lorde album has literally taken 18 years to make) and labels are hiking up prices in a desperate attempt to rip off consumers. I'd expect vinyl sales to fall sharply in 2018 because of it: indie bands are already starting to embrace cassettes again instead as they're fast to make, cheap to sell and pretty cute.

I look forward to your contributions and pithy one-liners, gyorls!

2. I predict there’s a massive pop girl coming next year, of the sort we only get once a decade (Madonna in the 80s, Britney in the 90s, Gaga in the 2000s). Could be someone we already know entering an imperial phase (Dua? Charli?) or someone totally unknown to us.

4. I predict mediocre white males will continue to dominate the charts and we will all have to deal...

Would love to be wrong though!

5. Solenciennes

Solenciennes Staff Member

Ariana, surely.

6. Funk.

Grins, ericcccc and soratami like this.
  7. These all look like pretty solid predictions as well. It remains to be seen whether any of this comes true of course, but nothing on your list is out of the realm of possibility.

8. I'd love someone like Gaga to just appear out of nowhere with a great appreciation for pop but also a tremendously fresh genre-shaking take on it, as well as the gravitas/star quality/performing talent to pull it off. Dua/Ariana/Charli all have facets of that but not all of them together.

I have a feeling Gaga is Gaga and there will never be another like her, just as there's no true Madonna heir.

9. Solenciennes

I think 2018 is looking pretty clear for new acts to break through, though, Ed Sheeran must be coming towards the end of his album cycle, Sam Smith's not likely to send another single flying up the charts, Taylor and Katy have both struggled through 2017 though the former might have some life yet in her campaign. We might get the odd feature from Beyoncé and Rihanna as we did this year but I'm not expecting albums.

Hoping for new music from Zara, Ariana, Little Mix, BANKS, Katy B, Rita, Tinashe, Carly and Dawn Richard.

Hopefully Fifth Harmony get thrown a lifeline too but I don't expect them to make it to the end of 2018. Even 2017 is a stretch, there's still a few days left.

And none for Louis Tomlinson.

andru, Jesus Jugs, PEARL and 9 others like this.
  10. I'd love for this to happen too but I think the problem is nowadays it's incredibly difficult for artists to just 'appear' and for the world to have an "oh, fuck, who's this?" moment – like it did with Gaga.

Streaming and the uphill social media slog has slowed everything down exponentially: I think an artist like that will appear again, but it's going to be someone who we see unfurled over the course of 6+ months and has a very unique sense of vision and individuality.

11. I just hope we get quality pop music next year. Ariana, Rihanna, Madonna, Gaga, Beyonce, Grimes, and Britney would make my 2018 perfect.

andru, nooniebao and speedyboi like this.
  12. As far as 'pop girls entering an imperial phase' speculations go, surely Ariana, Zara and Dua has the most momentum?

13. Garage had a small revival with Craig David then died down fairly quick. Dance music is slowing down more and more and is starting to verge into Trap territory, especially with the likes of David Guetta trend chasing big time. Whilst Garage would be nice, I don't think itll happen. It would probably if anything Tropical Garage if Sigala has anything to do with it.

More Pop oriented dance seems to be coming back around especially with Jax Jones spitting our the hits. Would be nice for Deep House/Pop to make a revival with Duke Dumont and MK (Who has a solo top 10 in the bag) not to mention how well his remixes have done in the past.

Ariana touched on the MK type of sound with Be Alright as well as well as Katy Perry working with Duke Dumont as well. This along with Cola being Camelphat's unintentional hit.

14. I’m sure you’re right, and particularly for Ariana actually. I just worry that her music won’t be distinct enough to really have that ubiquity that I’m talking about. There’s no question she puts out really high quality stuff, but I think Madonna, Britney and Gaga all kicked off their imperial phases with ‘fucking hell’ eras. It’ll be really interesting to see where she goes next.

I feel like Dua is best placed to have a ‘fucking hell’ era.

15. Ariana is the only one of those three that has a chance of an actual international imperial phase. Dua and Zara are still a bit too regional for such riches.

16. Anyway I figured it out. It’s Carly. She’ll be the most famous person in the world this time next year.

Txetxu, sammidrew, speedyboi and 3 others like this.
  17. Rita Ora will own 2018.

18. Solenciennes

Dua needs to prove she's more than just New Rules, I wouldn't be entertaining the idea of her having any sort of imperial phase next year.

19. I think all of your predictions @bestinase are spot on and what I would’ve predicted myself.

I can’t wait for cassettes to catch on again if only to feel like a kid again!

bestinase likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.