2019 MTV VMAs (26 August)

#VMAsRacist is trending on Twitter because they created this K-Pop category segregating acts that are selling as much/as popular as the ones in the main categories.

They may as well rename the best k-pop video award to best BTS video award because we all know they will win. Also US (and Popjustice) stop pretending BLACKPINK are the only Korean girl group to exist challenge.
Red Velvet’s Zimzalabim and LOONA’s Butterfly could’ve easily replaced any of the non-BTS boygroup on the list. I would’ve put Twice’s Fancy on the list too but that video is a CGI mess.

When and why did they become a show celebrating hit songs instead of great and innovative videos? I know the music scene has changed a lot but acts like Radiohead, Björk, Fiona Apple, Marilyn Manson, Johnny Cash, The Prodigy or Korn didn't exactly set the charts on fire back then, yet they were celebrated and awarded for their fanastic music videos. The only act who comes close this year is FKA Twigs.

GIVE SUNMI THE VANGUARD AWARD!

tumblr_inline_pm7aky56EC1qe3q3s_540.gif

I'm surprised they didn't give Madonna a nod with Medellin since they made an entire MTV event out of it. I would have expected their contract to include at least one guaranteed nomination somewhere ddddd.

Other than that, basic as always, etc. I hope one day we'll have credible award shows, celebrating the most deserving, regardless of charts and such.

he/him
Also, the pigeonholing of Latin and K-Pop with their own categories is stupid. As much as I don’t like BTS, they’re certainly more then eligible to be in the main categories, Boy With Luv was a Top 10 hit and the video has nearly 500m views which is more than most of the videos that are nominated for Video of the Year.

he/him
I'm surprised they didn't give Madonna a nod with Medellin since they made an entire MTV event out of it. I would have expected their contract to include at least one guaranteed nomination somewhere ddddd.

Eh, I’m not. I somehow doubt it was MTV’s idea to bring Madonna in to premiere her video, which is why it was given such an awkward and haphazard treatment. This is still the same network that proclaimed “the VMAs are about what’s relevant” when asked about Madonna possibly performing there back in 2014, then sabotaged her just last year by tricking her into giving a tribute for Aretha Franklin.

I wonder how many people will watch this, that’s the only thing fascinating to me about any award show now, the amount of viewers they lose every year.