2019 Popjustice Forum Readers' Poll | Page 49 | The Popjustice Forum

2019 Popjustice Forum Readers' Poll

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by RJF, Dec 10, 2019.

1. RJF

RJF

[​IMG]

2. Mariah Carey
    3. Charli XCX (!)
    4. Lady Gaga (!!!)

Lil Nas and Mariah ran away with nearly all the votes here, leaving everything below Lady Gaga... not even worth mentioning. I... am probably not the best person to be doing this category nn. Like, these girls' Twitter handles are just ticking time bombs waiting to go off in their faces, along with the fact that they can't seem to get material out in between tweets. However, I'll let Lil Nas live his best Stan-Twitter-gone-famous life, full of self-aware memes about "Old Town Road" remixes and... yeah, someone else help me out here.

The rest of the list? Well *snorts derisively* I voted for Mariah personally because it felt like a fairly organic extension of what was an album campaign played to perfection, full of genuinely hilarious moments that successfully and lovingly lampooned her diva persona while also letting her breathe as a real person, and I wouldn't be surprised if it had been part of a concentrated strategy for the success she saw last month. That's how you do it. Not to mention I feel Mariah has earned her time of acting like a clown on Twitter after thirty years in the game.

I don't even know where to begin with Charli XCX and Lady Gaga. Like, how are y'all voting for them? Charli has pretty much been a perpetual tire fire who really needs to step off her timeline and her Notes app, and Gaga's recent turn into generic hit tweet generator with occasional Haus Beauty promo shot is maybe one of the most depressing turns she's taken in a recent history full of depressing decisions. I'm not eating well off a hit tweet, sis.​

FridayNight, myblood, Uno and 83 others like this.
  2. Things Lil Nas X could get
    • it
    • a Billboard Hot 100 #1 song, which is difficult to get, not everybody has that to their credit
    [​IMG]

myblood, Uno, Jacques and 67 others like this.

FridayNight, myblood, Uno and 26 others like this.
  4. Kacey Musgraves and her insta stories deserved a spot in the top 4.

Verandi and ALEX like this.
  5. Some people didn't have a hot girl summer and it shows.

myblood, Sam, superultra and 4 others like this.
  6. Brittleknee was robbed.

7. This thread... it's so good. This gay can finally read.

8. RJF

RJF

[​IMG]

2. "Shawnmila"
    3. Ava Max
    4. Selena Gomez
    5. Liam Payne

Y'all are really gonna make me rant and rave about Ed Sheeran again huh? Well, I'm afraid you're out of luck because I genuinely can't really remember any of this album. I even managed to avoid those two vile singles he put out back to back where he pretended he was a sad wee relatable wallflower who felt out of place at parties for the rich and famous when the reality is probably more that at he was snorting coke off a Victoria's Secret model's clavicle until he decided to slip into heteronormativity like so many of these fairly dreadful looking famous men choose to do when they finally find someone they can pre-nup to hell and back. And I hope him and *checks notes* ...Cherry... are very happy together on his very heavily telegraphed BREAK FROM MUSIC.

Ed was the clear victor in this category, but last year's most tedious high-profile relationship was hot on his heels. Yes, shortly after their mammoth collab single came out, we were led to believe that Shawn and Camila's pelvises were also furiously collaborating and Lord, did they try to convince us. From posting videos of licking each others molars, them being caught on the beach, and paparazzi following them to management summit meetings in Wendy's car parks, it was probably the most obnoxious bit of "promo" we had to suffer this year.

The problem is that these days, this kind of thing just doesn't work as a stunt. Especially between these two bores. Audiences are just too seasoned and cynical now, and the rest are just straight up paranoid who think the relationship was just covering up homosexual tendencies of both parties. Like, I don't doubt Shawn and Camila are together (the truth is rarely as exciting as we think it is) but I also have no doubt that they didn't exactly have their privacy invaded by the occasional press tip off to really drive it home as their duet engulfed radio waves this summer. The song was already big. The rest was just unnecessary. I guess it's been a fun festive season licking each other's bigot lashes instead of molars.

The rest of the list yet again kind of falls into the category of y'all simply voting for people you don't like. I would be surprised if there's any A&R around to make decisions for those three artists.​

Last edited: Jan 2, 2020
  9. BTG

BTG

“Licking each other’s bigot lashes.” I-

10. 2014

2014 Staff Member

Dddd I feel kinda bad for Ava. She's pretty terrible but she seems....sweet but psycho enough

Laurence and londonrain like this.
  11. The absolute definition of "Least Imaginative A&R". Just went down the list of every top streaming artist, stuck 2 or 3 of them on each track, then tried to pass it off as some little artistic experiment teehee. So darkly cynical and calculated.

12. RJF

RJF

Tea, tea, and tea again. Even the """throwaway""" title is such obnoxious machination. Look how little effort went into this project featuring everyone who has had a song with 1B+ streams in the last few years!

13. I considered voting for either Ed's Bieber or Khalid collabs, but I couldn't overlook Selena's comeback single being a morose Julia Michaels ballad about Justin Bieber that had been focus grouped to hell and back to remain on US radio and Us Weekly headlines for an eternity. Should I have expected a proper bop, like her four-year-old singles run, or an actual change in direction following the unimaginative A&R decisions that were It Ain't Me, Wolves, and Back to You, or even a lick of effort? Well, no... probably not.

[​IMG]

Shout out to this Sheeranian song I mentioned pages back, which has spent 12 weeks at #1 on the Billboard Hot Country Songs chart...

14. [​IMG]
    2. Kylie Minogue
    3. Niall Horan
    4. Kelly Clarkson
    5. Dua Lipa

What a fun dinner party this group would be. They'd all show up with something gourmet - except Kelly, who would definitely bring three bottles of wine, one of which is just for her - play some Charades during which they'd gossip about their famous friends, and then leave at a sensible time. Just lovely.

Anyone who thinks Carlene is without controversy clearly wasn't around when people here suddenly decided to act like she isn't amazing, and it was left to me to conduct a whisper campaign threatening multiple users' lives until the ship righted itself. Now all we remember is @Jwentz spamming her Instagram about that missing NPR Tiny Desk concert. That and the tour, which as always was superb.

The rest of these, well, Kylie could probably set someone on fire and still come off likable as ever. Niall managed to avoid controversy even during the 1D years when everything around him was pure fucking chaos, so now I'm sure it doesn't even take any effort, especially with his adorable-busker vibe. Kelly is THE ultimate example of someone who has charm in spades and can learn from a minor mistake, while Dua probably ranks here because she's just about the only new girl on the block who hasn't violently put her foot in her mouth yet - and all while endorsing Labour, too!​

15. RJF

RJF

You whispering threats in my ear while I tried to remain composed for the cameras

[​IMG]

16. matthew.

matthew. Staff Member

Us after doberman stanning during the pre-singles wilderness era when Carly came through with the album.

[​IMG]

17. Not that it was ever in doubt, but the write-ups here are excellent. I mean...

Fuck

18. I think this was Dua's only controversy...

She deleted the twitter and insta posts but forgot facebook ddd.

19. RJF

RJF

[​IMG]

2. Lizzo
    3. Maggie Rogers
    4. Clairo
    5. Mabel

Miss William has every right to look as smug as she does given how well she did in this category. She was pretty much in the lead from the moment we started taking ballots and really, is anyone surprised? If there's anyone in pop right now who is truly carving out their own path on their terms, it's her. And she's seventeen years old. Like, her mind. Sitting in her childhood bedroom with her brother using samples of dentist drills and Australian crosswalks to make the biggest songs of 2019. And that's before you even touch the fact that she's writing it all herself, and was generally a nobody to every single mainstream outlet before she became far too big to ignore. It's been a game of catch up since for everyone else, we can only watch in reverence.

It really was a fantastic new year for talent breaking through. Lizzo being the epitome of delayed gratification as she found smash hits in her attic from 2017 (...maybe she'll have more luck with current material next year), while Maggie Rogers had all of us Sad White Girls in a tizzy in January. Clairo released one of the best debuts in recent years (another child prodigy) and Mabel released one bop and performed it poorly across the globe. YAS.​

FridayNight, myblood, Pabbs and 83 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.