2019 Popjustice Forum Readers' Poll | Page 50 | The Popjustice Forum

2019 Popjustice Forum Readers' Poll

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by RJF, Dec 10, 2019.

1. Selena’s impact, truly not letting us breathe.

2. @strangekin @Subwaykid Maggie Rogers rights!!!!

[​IMG]

3. aux

aux

Robyn should have won here.

Sprockrooster and londonrain like this.
  4. [​IMG]
    2. Rina Sawayama
    3. Billie Eilish
    4. Normani
    5. Georgia

This was an easy win for Dua, and it's interesting to note that here she won Newish, while on the front page she won Established. I'd say it's more accurate to have her in this category; despite kicking around for quite some time, she only has one album under her belt and definitely has more to prove. What's exciting is that she's doing just that, with two terrific new songs and the most improved pop geurl stage presence since one Ms. Grande. What's a Best New Artist Grammy curse, precious? oh god did I just jinx it

The rest of them represent a wide array of pop sounds as long as none of the criteria is "male," but this is PJ so what else is new! Taste! Rina is never boring and just gets it. Who knows if Billie will release anything this year, but since this new streaming crop tends to just put out everything, my money is on yes. Georgia's "About Work the Dancefloor" (whatever the hell that means) is the kind of SadBanger that an algorithm would generate if you fed it this forum, and yes I do bop. And then of course, there's Normani, and once she hacks her way out of whatever Saw-style bunker RCA keeps their artists in - and you know she will - it's over for us hoes.​

5. I've literally never heard of this Georgia person but they've gathered enough votes to get a mention in both this and the front page's poll so clearly i'm the one that's out of the loop.

6. how is Dora........ not established

myblood, Wills, Mr Blonde and 5 others like this.
  7. Maybe the "ish" threw people off.

Someboy and londonrain like this.
  8. aux

aux

Enjoy x

9. New Love came out half a decade ago nn

OspreyQueen and Petty Mayonnaise like this.
  10. RJF

RJF

Who said she isn't?

[​IMG]

2. Rihanna
    3. Dua Lipa
    4. Beyoncé
    5. Janet Jackson

It was a close call to see who between Gagger and Rihanner would triumph in the Get A Fucking MOVE ON, DEAR stakes, but let's be honest: if there are two clear eras of this forum, there was first the Girls Aloud era, and then there was the Lady Gaga era (these days we're kind of an equal opportunity era, which I think works far better for everyone's sanity) and that continues to reverberate to this day. I picked the photo above because it's from one of the only times this past year where I feel she truly came roaring back to the surface as an artist. Like, we all joke, but is there truly anything better than the feeling of a brand new Lady Gaga album campaign being rolled out? Ugh, the thrill. Inject me baby I'm a free bit.

The rest of the list is amusing because it kind of breaks down to into people who genuinely seem like they're gonna come crashing back with some excellence this year (Dua, and somehow Beyoncé) and the other two are simply people who have spent all year in magazines instead of the charts (Rihanna and Janet). I was actually surprised at the lack of votes Beyoncé got, but then she's done more than enough to save pop this decade (and has actually released three full length projects since the last time Rihanna released!) so maybe she's due a year off. I'm excited to see what Dua ends up bringing to table next year, if only to justify the ticket I have for her tour. Rihanna and Janet... get on with it, love. Less editorials, less make up, less self-aggrandising legend-building and MORE MUSIC PLEASE.

Editor's Note: one vote for Steps ​

11. NOT Sheeranian Hdjjfkfjfjfkfkfnjf.

inevitable, CorgiCorgiCorgi and aux like this.
  12. Subwaykid

Subwaykid Staff Member

Walgreens playing Give A Little all the time won.

13. [​IMG]
    2. Liam Payne
    3. Grimes
    4. Selena Gomez
    5. Harry Styles...?

"do u ever feel like a misfit," Ava Max asked us one balmy day in March, and the resounding answer was...well, there wasn't one, but if there had been, you all clearly would've said "no." @that boy is a monster's relentless promo campaign continues to blow up in his face, as Ava takes another hit. Or does she? Is being seen as ridiculous a bad thing? After all, we all tolerate @strangekin every day...oh wait, no, Liam Payne was #2. Yes, you saw it as a negative. But honestly - and just hear me out here - I think Ava's problem is that she isn't actually all that ridiculous. Oh, she's trying to be, because it's a differentiator etc, but she seems quite normal overall, which makes the kooky haircut and the talk of eating paste in art class and all of that just come off like a pop singer version of "rAwR xD".

Meanwhile, fucking Grimes is on this list, someone so untethered from reality that it's almost inspiring. My space case queen. The rest of 'em, well...there's Liam and Selena, two people who give off the vibe of being forced into pop stardom against their will and who would do anything to settle down in the suburbs selling real estate. Then, Harry, who I'd love to see something truly ridiculous from, instead of sepia-tinged pop that mostly seems targeted to get him write-ups about how respectable he is. C'mon, Harvey. Let's get weird.​

14. @Laura Vanderbooben I've been meaning to ask: the category of Popstar Most Likely To Avert The Pawn When He Thinks Like A King He Thinks like a King What He Knows Throws the Blows When He Goes to the Fight and He'll Win the Whole Thing 'fore He Enters the Ring There's No Body to Batter When Your Mind Is Your Might so When You Go Solo, You Hold Your Own Hand and Remember That Depth Is the Greatest of Heights and If You Know Where You Stand, Then You Know Where to Land and If You Fall It Won't Matter, Cuz You'll Know That You're Right Sexy and Hotter Let's Shut It Down Pound The Alarm was entirely your idea, wasn't it?

I stan. But you knew that

15. It was not, that was Miss JF! Greta was mine.

16. I love my mother and drunk guncle

17. RJF

RJF

The most accurate take on this category when I was going through ballots actually came from @Someboy who rightfully pondered the fact that everyone seems to be afraid to be ridiculous these days. In what should come as no surprise, I agree with Miss LV that being ridiculous isn't necessarily a bad thing. Honestly, Ava Max's problem is that she's the opposite of ridiculous. She's so expected and safe because she's working off someone else's map that's a decade old. We can predict all the beats because they're all the same. If anything both Liam and Harry could do with being more ridiculous instead of being two different flavours of the same Boring Ass White Boy.

But then, maybe the difficulty of answering this question comes from the fact that ridiculousness is so thin on the ground at the moment that it's difficult to identify. I would actually like more ridiculous popstars in 2020 please. Frighten the locals a bit.

18. Is this the part where I start leading the chant of "MADAME X DID NOTHING WRONG" or

19. RJF

RJF

We'll just have to see what lies in the other categories won't we?

20. I was a good little gay and gave Madonna plenty of positive votes

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.