2019 Popjustice Forum Readers' Poll | Page 52 | The Popjustice Forum

2019 Popjustice Forum Readers' Poll

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by RJF, Dec 10, 2019.

1. I did vote for her for "Artist Most Likely To Perform On Greta Thunberg's Transatlantic Racing Yacht"

Last edited: Jan 3, 2020
  2. [​IMG]
    2. FKA Twigs
    3. Madonna
    4. Katy Perry
    5. Spice Girls

Now here's one we can all agree on. It's been clear for years that Tinashe possesses a dizzying work ethic that is, frankly, without comparison among her peers. Most of these girls can't even spell ambition! It was never more obvious than when she negotiated her exit from a major label - a move that almost always kills a career stone dead - and promptly went to work on an album that is more of the moment and immaculately produced than anything she put out with that major label cash we've been discussing so much today. "Songs for You" sizzles and slinks and does everything we want to see Tinashe do. It got the internet's attention and most importantly, it made her feel exciting and vital again. With backing from Roc Nation, it will be interesting to see where she goes next - but we can rest assured that whatever she does, it will be beautifully curated with an attention to detail that is second to none.

The rest of the list didn't face nearly the same adversity that Tinashe did as she fought tooth-and-nail to be seen and heard. At least FKA Twigs certainly was silent for a long while before she returned with "Magdalene." I mean, what does Madonna ever have to come back from, except for a vacation on Richard Branson's private island with some young stud. Katy definitely had more to prove after a poorly received record, and she did...at least somewhat. The Spice Gorls showing up here because they left their country estates for two weeks shows that PJ will always have time for them, but hey, if you're going to get trampled in a field in Dublin for the sake of nostalgia, might as well be to the tune of "Stop."​

3. The bathrooms are very spacious.

Sam, If You Go and inevitable like this.
  4. The taste of us, well done ya'll.

5. Oh lord if that's what that category meant I need to correct my ballot immediately!

slaybellz likes this.
  6. [​IMG]

myblood, Jacques, phily693 and 41 others like this.
  7. If only more moms and mom adjacent folx voted for this my beloved Dido would be represented for her return to glory!

myblood, Sam, beyoncésweave and 13 others like this.
  8. Ddd at the forum deciding being signed to RCA is a bigger challenge to overcome than surgery to remove multiple tumors

[​IMG]

9. Spot the lie

myblood, phily693, Lately and 23 others like this.
  10. I agree, and Friendly Fires would be a great pick as well. They came back after 8 years of nothing with a truly fantastic album. Shame neither their album nor Dido's (which is also great) made all that much impact in the forum despite both being really PJ-friendly.

11. Nicole didn't secretly record 20 seconds of React to be snubbed like this!!!!!!!

myblood, phily693, Sam and 16 others like this.
  12. Tinashe. We really love to see it.

myblood, phily693, Aester and 4 others like this.
  13. It does make sense Tinashe would take it given her circumstances, but I definitely didn't expect someone whose previous album was released as recently as summer 2018 would win "best comeback".

14. Someboy

Someboy Staff Member

I don’t think Megan wants to save pop, she’d probably enjoy burning it down more, but that’s what I love about her and why I voted her as Most Ridiculous.

londonrain, sesita, Crisp X and 4 others like this.
  15. [​IMG]
    2. Madonna & Maluma - Medellín
    3. Tiësto, Jonas Blue & Rita Ora - Ritual
    4. Charli XCX ft. Big Freedia, CupcakKe, Brooke Candy, and Pabllo Vittar - Shake It
    5. Tove Lo ft. Kylie Minogue - Really don't like u

Charli's tracks with Lizzo, Troye Sivan, and Sky Ferreira all got votes of their own too, so she had as much of a stranglehold on this category as she did on y'all's wigs. No.6 Collaborations Project whom? "Gone" was the runaway winner, and unsurprisingly so! This shit is PJ catnip: big, noisy, bombastic, emotional. I'm watching the video again and it feels like Chris is about to jump through the screen and beat the shit out of me, but then again that's kinda always her vibe.

"Medellín" is much more subtle in comparison and actually works as a nice comedown to the anxious frenzy of "Gone," especially with the red/blue parallels in the videos. Innarestin'! My vote went to "Ritual," because Rita Ora knows her way around a fucking DJ collaboration by this point, and her jubilant vocal is a real highlight. And then we have Tove and Kylie, which sounds like one of those random pairings a PJ lurker fantasizes about in some tragic little-seen thread, and yet here it is, and it's a cute breezy bop with nothing to be ashamed of. Go figure!​

16. [​IMG]

17. Perhaps true, but sometimes that's what it takes to save pop!

Trinu 3.0, aux, Someboy and 1 other person like this.
  18. A mammoth of a song that shant be topped. Unlock It who?

myblood, Dijah., ItBeats and 6 others like this.
  19. RainOnFire

RainOnFire Staff Member

[​IMG]

myblood, Jacques, phily693 and 51 others like this.
  20. It was actually in fall of 2016 and it was called Nightride.

papatrick likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.