2019 Popjustice Forum Readers' Poll | Page 56 | The Popjustice Forum

2019 Popjustice Forum Readers' Poll

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by RJF, Dec 10, 2019.

1. BTG

BTG

The fact that Adam is allowed to continue recording music, nevermind scoring actual hits after his atrocious Super Bowl performance where he howled his way through that trash discography, whilst parading around like a sentient sinew is grossly unfair. And why white, male recording artists deserve every bit of ire they receive.

myblood, phily693, Jacques and 24 others like this.
  2. OspreyQueen

OspreyQueen Staff Member

The forrem bopping to his complete floppery on every metric yes I do just want an excuse to use this gif again
    [​IMG]

3. This made me wet mmh

myblood, phily693, Jacques and 20 others like this.
  4. 2014

2014 Staff Member

my mums "<3"

myblood, Island, aaronhansome and 3 others like this.
  5. Pang was robbed!

The NFR artwork would have been better without the text and without the guy. I don't think the Madame X artwork is that good either.

michaelhird and Future Lover like this.
  6. eccentricsimply

eccentricsimply Staff Member

I still haven't listened to Liam's album and that didn't stop me from voting for it as Worst Album!

7. londonrain

londonrain Staff Member

I can’t wait for someone to parachute in from the Bieber thread to tell us that we have an anti-straight white male bias and that’s why we don’t like Liam, and that if Ariana had released the same album it would have flooded our basements.

1673257B-9405-4C47-B41E-C79F88C9DACB.png

8. Watch out, you’ll get jumped on for that.

londonrain likes this.
  9. ... I voted Madame X for Worst Artwork.

The whole thing just looks off-center! It bothers me!

saviodxl, londonrain and slaybellz like this.
  10. I’m just going to go ahead and spoil it for all of you: icon Sy Snoodles wins Popstar of the Decade.

11. RJF

RJF

[​IMG]

2. FKA twigs - The Tonight Show
    3. Kylie Minogue - Glastonbury
    4. Beyoncé - Homecoming
    5. Missy Elliot - MTV VMAs

Now, those of you who have been following my posts for the last *swallows audibly* ten years on this forum will know that I love a girl who is hungry for it. Part of the reason I fell in love with Lady Gaga was because she was out there every day in 2009-2011 on top of some elaborate, fresh-out-the-mold set piece giving it her all. I love the hustle; I admire it. Nothing in pop music comes for free (I mean that's a lie; it frequently rewards the talentless but shh) and there's nothing better when someone goes out there and earns glory.

Do I think that Dua Lipa gave the best performance of the year? No... but it's still such a great, joyful watch. After watching her get pulled against her will through every increasingly ostentatious performance of "New Rules" for what felt like twenty years, it was a revelation to see this wonderfully unfettered creature bumping her hips, hitting her marks, singing her heart out, and generally having the time of her life. The fact she would go on to replicate the same energy in every outing on a relentless promo blitz was just icing on the cake. I feel it's the improvement she's being rewarded for here more than anything, and it's definitely deserved.

I also love the rest of the results. FKA twigs' performance of "Cellophane" was a surprisingly popular vote, but not an undeserved one. It's a show of athleticism, emotional intelligence, and theatricality all about ten feet away from Jimmy fucking Fallon. If that's not talent I don't know what is. Kylie finally settled unfinished business nearly fifteen years in the making and stormed the legend slot at Glastonbury, showing that she's honestly the rarest kind of pro that I feel we don't get enough of, and MTV finally got sick of Missy Elliot lighting up their mentions on Twitter and let her give an amazing performance that showed why the Video Vanguard had been longing to be in her hands for years.

My vote went for Beyoncé. Yes, Homecoming was performed in 2018, but it was only this year we were blessed with being able to own it and just... we very rarely think of our faves' careers ending, simply because they're not meant to. What Beyoncé did at Coachella in 2018 was nothing short of the finale of a lifetime spent in the spotlight. It was ending montage to every film you've ever seen, the last sentence in every book you've ever read. She has of course continued, because it's Beyoncé, and she is infinite, but she truly performed like it was the last night of her life, and... well, let's leave it there and pick it up another time, shall we?

Let's enjoy a few clips of our Top 5!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Beyoncé and Kylie are such different performers (and indeed, different artists in many ways) but they are probably the two most endlessly watchable stars and both carry such stage presence.

myblood, GimmeWork, phily693 and 18 others like this.
  13. All of this and they are my two main faves through it all. I love them both so much.

The fact we finally were gifted with Homecoming live, Golden live, Kylie at Glastonbury, and another outing for Bey with the Lion King kept me fed in 2019.

myblood, P'NutButter, Lapras and 4 others like this.
  14. [​IMG]
    I've forced this gif on the forum so many times and never noticed how manic the girl on the left (Dua's right) is. Did she lose control of her arms and hands?!

myblood, GimmeWork, phily693 and 34 others like this.
  15. The only other thing getting loose except for their shoes with this choreo.

slaybellz likes this.
  16. Mr.Arroz

Mr.Arroz Staff Member

yoooooooooooo

[​IMG]

17. RJF

RJF

[​IMG]

2. Taylor Swift - ME! (feat. Brendon Urie)
    3. Camila Cabello - Liar
    4. Ed Sheeran & Justin Bieber - I Don't Care
    5. Ava Max - Torn

I swear I didn't rig who got what category just so I could rag on Taylor multiple times a day, but it appears to be how the cookie hath crumbled. I don't agree with the second placement in this category like I already told y'all a while back, but I'm afraid I'm fully on board with "You Need To Calm Down" winning here. Taylor's history with advocacy has been... spotty at best, but the entry-level fag-haggery on display here is just tragic. RuPaul's Drag Race. Ellen. Queer Eye. Todrick Hall. It feels like a list of all the things that would be in some pamphlet your church is putting around that lists the things to watch out for if you think your son is gay. And that's another thing too. It feels like it's pandering a particular section of queerdom while pretending to cater to all of it. It feels... predominantly targeted at white gay cis men, and no one else. Didn't anyone tell Taylor the queer community is an entire fucking rainbow? You don't get to dip your toe with allyship these days, and this sanitised presentation is not going to be throwing any bricks any time soon.

We'll also leave out the fairly awkward section that involves her trying to act the Grand Uniter of all the pop girls and shutting down how they're played off one another when she spent a good chunk of this decade courting press from her non-feud with Katy Perry, otherwise we'll be here all day.

I literally haven't even watched the bottom three videos because I have better things to do with my time and honestly, so should you all. And that's coming from someone who has spent the last fortnight polling a bunch of queers to see what their favourite popstar hairstyle was of the last year. Why are people even watching Ava Max videos? Stop it. Stop it right now you silly, silly children.

Here are your... winners? Watch them at your peril.

18. Very well deserved, I can't think of another music video in recent memory that made me so angry. The bare minimum of it all.

19. johnny_tsunami likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.