2020 Album Challenge Thread: And Go! | Page 23 | The Popjustice Forum

2020 Album Challenge Thread: And Go!

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by ohnostalgia, Dec 28, 2019.

1. Well, I've only listened to three new albums since this update:
    So here we go. Oh and I've made the decision to do a write-up for all the above albums, just to help get me back in the flow of writing again.

JoJo - good to know

I can not tell you how amazing this album is. You have to experience it for yourself. This is her best work yet. It fully embraces the R&B that JoJo has excelled it her entire career. Not only is the production smooth, sexy, dynamic, lush, perfect R&B, with plenty of wonderful flourishes throughout, in sound and melody - one of my own personal favorite moments is how Pedialyte's second verses has a different melody then the first verse - but this is also JoJo's most lyrically open, honest, and self-reflecting piece of work yet. Now, she has always been an honest songwriter. She's been perfectly clear about mistakes she's made in the past. But this is on a completely different level. She spends the album singing about choices that aren't the healthiest - Bad Habits, So Bad, Pedialyte - how much she misses a relationship that she fucked up - Small Things, Think About You - as well as what it might be like if they got back together, on Comeback. And finally, she gets to the place where she knows her worth, and knows she needs to work on herself before anything else, on Lonely Hearts, Don't Talk Me Down, Proud and Man - while still knowing her flaws, because at the end of Don't Talk Me Down, she acknowledges that despite the pian it caused and knowing it would be a bad idea, she sings at the last second "cause I might take you back', fully expressing that there's still work to do on herself so she gets to a place where she won't. There's also quite a bit of sex on the album - on So Bad, Gold, Comeback, and mentions of it elsewhere, and that's always welcome, since she's literally one of the sexiest women alive. She of course, sounds gorgeous and immaculate in every single note she sings, from beginning to end. This is absolutely one of the best albums you're going to hear this year. Is it a little short? Yeah, maybe, but it's cohesive and is a true body of work. But if you want to make it longer, and make it feel like a fuller album, I'd recommend adding pre-release songs Joanna and Sabotage to it, as well as the one-off Wonder Woman from 2017. Yes, it's three years old, but it works extremely well in the context of the album, and fits the narrative if you put it inbetween Think About You and Comeback. In fact, I'll just give you the tracklist I settled on and will be using for, I assume, the rest of time.
    01. Joanna (Intro)
    02. Bad Habits (Interlude)
    03. So Bad
    04. Pedialyte
    05. Gold
    06. Man
    07. Small Things
    08. Lonely Hearts
    09. Sabotage
    10. Think About You
    11. Wonder Woman
    12. Comeback
    13. Don't Talk Me Down
    14. Proud (Outro)
    This makes an already amazing album, complete perfection. Trust me. Now, she's made it clear she's releasing an EP later this year. I'm ecstatic for new music, and whether it's a companion piece to this, exploring the same sounds, feel and vibe, and maybe even the same story, or if it's something completely new, I'm sure it'll be amazing.
    Highlights: Bad Habits (Intro), So Bad, Pedialyte, Gold, Man, Small Things, Lonely Hearts, Think About You, Comeback, Don't Talk Me Down, Proud (Outro)

Hayley Williams - Petals For Armor

HO. LY. Shit. This album. Hayley did that, and then some. Until this year, I never thought a solo album from her would come - she always insisted it'd never happen - but it did, almost on accident, and once it became necessary for her. There is no way this would work as a Paramore album, for a couple reasons. The first and foremost being how personal - and dark - she gets on here. Now, don't get me wrong, she's always written raw, honest, personal lyrics with Paramore, but nothing to this level. The story of this album belongs to her, and she needed to share it on her own. But that doesn't mean she can't share it with her friends. Which brings me to the other aspect of this album that separates it from the band: the production. Taylor York - who, if you don't know, is the guitarist for the band - produced the entire album, and he did a masterful job. Honestly, I'm blown away by it all. I need him to become the next saught-after producer for everybody out there. Please and thank you. Anyway, my point is that Hayley and Taylor try so many different things across the 15 tracks, you almost get sonic whiplash. Paramore albums tend to have one unifying sound, that fit the record you're playing - and that's wonderful of course. But, it's clear that Hayley practically said "Fuck it, we're gonna do whatever we want." and Taylor was like "Alright, let's do it." She goes from dark, alternative pop to dance-y R&B to 80s-esque synth-pop to funk to alt pop-rocky to 90s dance-rave to 60s psychedelia across the album. Seriously, I could never imagine Paramore, as a band, releasing songs like Sugar On The Rim or Cinnamon. That said, the album manages to fit together as an album amazing well through Hayley's voice as well as the lyrical content throughout. A lot of the album is really heavy and dark - either through sound, lyrics or both - which can make it hard to take in, but the way Hayley processes her anger and the pain of the aftermath of her divorce and that relationship, as well as finding hope, and new love, is amazing. This album is honestly so heartwrenchingly well-written, I can't imagine not at least respecting Hayley for her lyricism and honesty. She's honestly amazing. I can't get over. This album is the sound of Hayley finding an identity not as the front-person for one of the biggest rock bands in the U.S., but as a persona, musician, singer and artist on her own, without sacrificing the band to do that. It's absolutely wonderful, and I can't wait to be stanning this album for the rest of the year, and longer.
    Highlights: Simmer, Leave It Alone, Cinnamon, Sudden Desire, Dead Horse, My Friend, Over Yet, Roses/Lotus/Violet/Iris, Why We Ever, Pure Love, Sugar On The Rim, Watch Me While I Bloom, Crystal Clear

Lana Del Rey - Born To Die

Normally, I'd be posting a write-up here, but a lot of my first thoughts on the album went towards the write-up I'm working on for the Quirky Pop Debuts Rate hosted by @soratami, and will eventually be posted in there, so I'm gonna link you to that thread. Get rating, you have like 9 days left to finish it, thanks to the extension.
    Highlights: I'm also going to keep these secret until I send that wirte-up and @soratami posts it. *Slightly evil cackle*.

Older Releases
    Kylie Minogue - Light Years
    LOONA - [XX]
    Emily Osment - Fight Or Flight
    Aly & AJ - Acoustic Hearts Of Winter
    PVRIS - White Noise
    Tonight Alive - Consider This
    PVRIS - Paris
    Tonight Alive - What Are You So Scared Of?
    Tonight Alive - Demo
    Tonight Alive - The Other Side
    Ariana Grande - Christmas Kisses
    Ariana Grande - Christmas & Chill
    Jamelia - Drama
    Jamelia - Thank You
    Jamelia - Walk With Me
    Lana Del Rey - Born To Die
    2020 Albums
    Selena Gomez - Rare
    Poppy - I Disagree
    Halsey - Manic
    Hayley Kiyoko - I'm Too Sensitive For This Shit
    Kesha - High Road
    Hayley Williams - Petals For Armor I
    LOONA - [#]
    Allie X - Cape God
    Birds Of Prey: The Album
    DREAMCATCHER - Dystopia: The Tree Of Language
    Mandy Moore - Silver Landings
    Brandy Clark - Your Life Is A Record
    Caitlyn Smith - Supernova
    renforshort - teenage angst EP
    Dua Lipa - Future Nostalgia
    Vanessa Carlton - Love Is An Art
    JoJo - good to know
    Hayley Williams - Petals For Armor
    34/50

Last edited: Jun 10, 2020
  2. Finally getting round to posting my April recap and week 19 summary.

April Stats

0B605FB6-E8E0-4988-99E5-DB73867C5D69.jpeg

I listened to 14 hours and 47 minutes of music which is a 18% decrease of music from March. There was an average daily duration of 29m 34s and a average first impression rating of 4. 52% was from Groups of which there was a 6% decrease from March. 77% was Female which is a 4% decrease from last month. 50% was K-Pop which is a 15% increase from March. 53% was from 2020 which is a 220% increase from March. 48% of music listened to was by South Korean Artists which is a 8% increase from March and overall 69% of Artists listened to came from Asia which is a 33% increase from March.

2020 Stats

E44A8B0A-7AE0-412B-95DE-584E64D83726.jpeg

E35F8289-2FC5-48A9-B826-1344B1C4E1CB.jpeg

I’ve listened to a total of 72 hours and 11 minutes of music with a average daily duration of 35 minutes and 48 secs. From January-April there was a decrease of 74% in overall listening. There was a average first impression rating of 4 and a overall average rating of 4. 54% of music was from soloists, 81% by female artists, Pop is the top genre with 37% followed by K-Pop at 34%. A majority of music came overall from the 2010s at 62%, but 32% of music came from 2020. 35% of artists came from South Korea and overall 43% was from Asia.

From January-April I listened to total of 112 artists from 19 Countries, 18 Genres of music from a period of 18 Years of music released.

Album Challenge Top 5 Most Played Artists
    1. Dua Lipa
    2. Allie X
    3. Rina Sawayama
    4. K3
    5. Poppy
    Album Challenge Top 5 Songs
    1. Dua Lipa - Don’t Start Now
    2. Dua Lipa - Hallucinate
    3. Dua Lipa - Physical
    4. Dua Lipa - Break My Heart
    5. Dua Lipa - Future Nostalgia
    Album Challenge Top 5 Most Played Albums
    1. Dua Lipa - Future Nostalgia
    2. Allie X - Cape God
    3. Poppy - I Disagree
    4. Halsey - Manic
    5. Louise - Heavy Love

Week 19

7810D29B-C791-4F9D-86C4-78041EEFC182.jpeg

125. Astro | Gateway | 2020 | ⭑⭑⭑ | Highlights: Somebody Like | Replay: Depends
    If I was to sum up a majority of boyband releases in 2020 it would be:

95BA70CC-FF0E-47B3-B023-BB559005821E.jpeg

I found a majority of this years releases to be lacking in substance apart from the aesthetics. This mini album from Astro is no different though Somebody Like is a actual bop.

126. Fanatics | Plus Two | 2020 | ⭑½ | Highlights: V.A.V.I Girl | Replay: No
    A literal mess I don’t know what this group is trying to achieve with a collection of songs like this. Though Vavi Girl has grown on me it’s the best of the mess on here.

127. Francesca Blanchard | Happy For You | 2020 | ⭑⭑⭑ | Highlights: Ex Girlfriend | Replay: Yes
    Ex Girlfriend is my favourite of these 4 songs I just love the guitar in this song. The other songs didn’t grab my attention as much as Ex Girlfriend but I do like them.

128. Patricia Lalor | Sleep Talk | 2020 | ⭑⭑⭑ | Highlights: Sleep Talk | Replay: Yes
    Sleep Talk was the only song that appealed to me the most but for someone so young there is a lot of promise. Prior to looking up info about her for my stats I wouldn’t have thought she was as young as 14 considering the maturity in the lyricism and I would have thought this was the work of someone older. But Patricia is definitely someone to watch for the future.

129. Hayley Williams | Petals For Armor | 2020 | ⭑⭑⭑⭑ | Highlights: Everything bar Leave It Alone & My Friend | Replay: Yes
    I was never into Paramore as Emo never appealed to me but I did like Airplanes before listening to Petals For Armor. This album was very surprising from what I was expecting but it’s totally the style of indie music I adore. But the 80s leaning of Over Yet, Pure Love, Sugar On The Rim and Watch Me While I Bloom are my favourites of the whole album.

130. Basia Bulat | Are You In Love? | 2020 | ⭑⭑⭑⭑ | Highlights: Everything | Replay: Yes
    I’m in love with this album it has right balance of vintage with some modern elements. This is just me being overly pernickety but I wish I Believe It Now was more than just a transition into No Control. Also I felt the drum in Fables wasn’t needed it spoiled my enjoyment of the song slightly. Overall this is a thoroughly enjoyable folk album with plenty of sentiment in the song writing.

131. Imfact | L.L | 2020 | ⭑⭑⭑⭑ | Highlights: Everything | Replay: Yes
    Finally a boygroup that isn’t NCT that isn’t offering a bland generic aesthetic dark concept. Imfact in fact came through with something different and a few bops too that I’ve been looking for from a boygroup this year.

3. aux

aux

Right... Let me try and make a routine of listening to albums and actually posting them here.

106/300 - Charli XCX - how i'm feeling now - ★★★★★

It's insane to think she made this in a month. Highly recommend. Charli's best album yet.

107/300 - Josef Salvat - modern anxiety - ★★★★

Really solid pop music. Don't sleep on this.

108/300 - Perfume Genius - Set My Heart On Fire Immediately - ★★★★½

Fucking brilliant. Mike never disappoints.

4. Charli released a new album already? I liked her last one enough, but I haven't returned to it at all. I guess I'll get around to the new one, but I don't think she's really for me.

Phonetics Boy and Crisp X like this.
  5. And she was working on another album before she started the one she just put out! She's unstoppable, but yes perhaps it won't be your thing.

Phonetics Boy and Music Is Life like this.
  6. WOW! I wish all the girls had that kind if work ethic. More music means happy fans.
    And yeah maybe. I'm sure I'll enjoy in a "it's good music" way, but I think Charli is one of those artists I won't stan, but still enjoy the music you know?

Phonetics Boy and Crisp X like this.
  7. It describes the majority of artists I listen to so I get it. lt's healthier that way.

8. Ahh cool. I wish that was true for me, but I stan almost everyone I listen to.
    Then again, I'm not the best at healthy sometimes.

Crisp X and Phonetics Boy like this.
  9. Oh I do stan way too many ones too. It's just... considering the amount of stuff I've listened to over the years, it's impossible to be equally invested in every artist I've loved along the way, if that makes sense?

I guess that's why this thread helps. Guess I should go back to my excel doc and post the long list I've been sitting on, but I'm too lazy to reformat it nn.

Music Is Life and Phonetics Boy like this.
  10. Oh that makes perfect sense. Especially since joining this forum I've listened to A LOT of artists an I don't have the time or energy to stan fully for all of them.

Moooood ddddd.

Crisp X likes this.
  11. Island

Island Staff Member

168. Melanie C - The Sea
    169. Charli XCX - how i'm feeling now
    170. ALMA - Have U Seen Her?
    171. Jody Watley - Jody Watley
    172. Josef Salvat - modern anxiety
    173. Nicole Wray - Make It Hot

Crisp X likes this.
  12. It has been a while since my last post

21. The Weeknd - After Hours 6.5/10
    -Half of the record is very enjoyable while the other half is barely there.

22. Dua Lipa - Future Nostalgia 8.5/10
    - I quite like everything here although the last two tracks are indeed a bit of letdown

23. Rina Sawayama - SAWAYAMA 9.5/10
    - talented, brilliant, neverthesame etc.. It has been a while for a song to effect me like Akasaka Sad did.

24. Empress Of - I'm Your Empress Of 6/10
    - There has been a wall for me to enjoy her music but i can't deny that this is well made and sung pop record. It is just not for me as now.

25. Purity Ring - Womb 5.5/10
    - Eh it is decent but i am a little bit bored by them. The material just washes over, leaving me indifferent.

26. Hayley Williams - Petals for Armor 7.5/10
    -Quite solid with a couple astronomical highs but the middle part draaaags

27. Nightwish - Human .II. Nature 3/10
    - How the mighty have fallen. What a joke, they do not deserve Floor.

28. Josef Salvat - Modern Anxiety 8/10
    -Oooh i like this a lot. Feel like this is what Troye, Lauv etc wishes to be.

29. Fiona Apple - Fetch the Bolt Cutters 8.5/10
    -This is a bit dense record for me but i'm sure i will get there. I'm loving all the critical acclaim she got.

30. Yves Tumor - Heaven to a Tortured Mind 9/10
    -Feels like a demented version of a classic Prince record.

31. Charli XCX - How I'm Feeling 7.5/10
    -A lot better than Charli, thank god. Will give it more time to make my mind but i can see this growing on me.

That is all for now. I swear i listened more new records but can't remember them all. Oh well.

13. aux

aux

109/300 - The 1975 - Notes On A Conditional Form - ★★½

I think I've expressed enough of my thoughts about this already in their thread.

OspreyQueen and Crisp X like this.
  14. 20/27) Janet Jackson - Damita Jo

[​IMG]

Favorites: All Nite / R&B Junkie / Moist
    Score : 4/5

My most played album of the month so far. It is giving me In The Zone (without the Asian influence) vibes and IZN is probably my favorite album of all time so that's a great thing. The songs that I mentioned are all 11/10s.

21/27) Christina Aguilera - Mi Reflejo

[​IMG]

Favorite: El Beso del Final
    Score: 2.5/5

Listened to this for the Xtina rate. El Beso del Final was a great discovery and has been on repeat. It was also nice hearing her big hits in a different language but I was meh about the rest of it.

22/27) Kehlani - SweetSavageSexy

[​IMG]

Favorites : CRZY / Undercover
    Score : 4/5

I knew some of the songs since 2016/2017 but I heard that she has a new album coming and only then I realised that I actually had never listened to the debut fully. I'm glad I did because it's a collection of different R&B bops that flow really well together. It also sounds very fresh unlike the rest of music that I loved in 2016.

23/27) Kehlani - It Was Good Until It Wasn't

[​IMG]

Favorites : Toxic / Water
    Score : 3.5/5

Probably not as interesting as SSS but still a very solid album. I can see it growing on me more with each play.

15. Island

Island Staff Member

174. Abao - kinakaian
    175. Zooey Wonder - Wonderland
    176. Tanya Chua - Kisses for the World
    177. G.E.M. - City Zoo
    178. Carly Rae Jepsen - Dedicated Side B
    179. Dagny - Strangers/Lovers (Side A)
    180. Ryu SuJeong - Tiger Eyes
    181. Florence + the Machine - Lungs
    182. G.E.M. - Heartbeat
    183. Eve Ai - Talk About Eve
    184. Astro Bunny - 在名為未來的波浪裡
    185. VAVA - Mao Yan Qi
    186. Tia Ray - TIARA
    187. Isabelle Huang - 醉 (Drunk)
    188. Isabelle Huang - 來日方長 Tomorrow Never Comes
    189. Tanya Chua - Aphasia
    190. 9m88 - Beyond Mediocrity
    191. Waa Wei - Run! Frantic Flowers!
    192. Shi Shi - Woman
    193. Victoria Song - Victoria
    194. Goldfrapp - Supernature
    195. Lizzo - Big Grrrl Small World
    196. Lady Gaga - Chromatica
    197. Blanche - Empire
    198. Smoke2Seven - Crazy Tale

Last edited: May 29, 2020
    OspreyQueen and Crisp X like this.
  16. aux

aux

110/300 - Carly Rae Jepsen - Dedicated Side B - ★★★½

Joyful leftovers on par with the parent album.

111/300 - Chantal Kreviazuk - What If It All Means Something - ★★★★

Thanks for recommending me this @ohnostalgia! I really enjoyed it.

Last edited: May 25, 2020
    Crisp X, Music Is Life and Island like this.
  17. I had an update with a long paragraph that was basically a love letter to Dedicated Side B, with a couple more albums after, and I lost it and now I wanna cry.

fatyoshi, Remorque and savilizabeths like this.
  18. May update

fatyoshi - 160/50 (126 old releases, 34 2020 releases)

---

Old (Artist - Album / Year / Rating / Favorite track):
    New (Artist - Album / Genre / Rating / Favorite track):

Last edited: Jun 1, 2020
  19. aux

aux

112/300 - Lady Gaga - Chromatica - ★★½

A great pop album, but a disappointing stain in Gaga's catalogue.

20. May update: 143/150

I guess this month I was full of negativity what with some hormonal problems flaring up and I wasn't here for most of the discoveries. I really heard a low-pitched computer effect and floored it, huh?

Oh the Agony, Oh the Ecstasy - Charlotte OC
    how I'm feeling now - Charli XCX
    You Don't Have To Go Home But You Can't Stay Here - Party Nails
    Dedicated Side B - Carly Rae Jepsen
    The Volume of Things - Bryde
    Chromatica - Lady Gaga
    Standouts: Strangers in the Dark, Effexor, Summer Love, Hallelujahs

2019 leftovers
    MASTER - Mariah the Scientist
    Crush on Me - Sir Babygirl
    The Center Won't Hold - Sleater-Kinney
    Grim Town - SOAK
    Standouts: Reminder, Heels, RUINS, Deja vu

2010s
    I Wasn't Only Thinking About You... - Oh Pep!
    Stadium Cake - Oh Pep!
    Standouts: 25, What's the Deal with David?, Crazy Feels

2000s
    Marry Me - St. Vincent
    Aurora - Aurora
    Standouts: Marry Me, In My Skin

1990s
    Stick Around For Joy - The Sugarcubes
    Let's Get To It - Kylie Minogue
    I'm Breathless - Madonna
    Standouts: Leash Called Love, Finer Feelings, He's a Man

1980s
    Enjoy Yourself - Kylie Minogue
    Kylie - Kylie Minogue
    Sequal - Sequal
    Standouts: every single Sequal song, when will PWL?

OspreyQueen, Remorque, Island and 3 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.