2020 Album Challenge Thread: And Go! | Page 24 | The Popjustice Forum

2020 Album Challenge Thread: And Go!

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by ohnostalgia, Dec 28, 2019.

1. aux

aux

113/300 - TWICE - MORE & MORE - ★★★½

K-Pop's finest girl group bringing it once again.

114/300 - Now, Now - Saved - ★★★★

The perfect alt-[REDACTED] album.

115/300 - Now, Now - Threads - ★★★★½

Another excellent sad gay™ album. Thanks @fatyoshi for the recommendation xx.

2. Okay well eventually I'm gonna write about these but here's an update:
    Carly Rae Jepsen - Dedicated Side B
    Mariah Carey - Rainbow

Mariah Carey - Glitter

Name another icon who opens their album with a remix of the lead single. And then having the closing track be said lead single. Go ahead. Try. Seriously though, this is a GREAT soundtrack/album. The production is wonderful across the board, and the low-key 80s vibe through it all is extremely enjoyable. The melodies are ridiculously catchy, the bops BOP, and the ballads are gorgeous. She sounds amazing of course, and honestly overall this is just an album that should be considered a forgotten Mariah classic. I hope it does well in the rate. Also, I watched the movie a while go, and it's really enjoyable for what it is.
    Highlights: Loverboy (Remix), Didn't Mean To Turn You On, All My Life, Last Night A DJ Saved My Life, Want You, Loverboy

Mariah Carey - Charmbracelet

I'm kinda really upset this is considered a flop and one of her worst albums. It's so damn consistently great, with quite a few major highs sprinkled throughout that raise the overall listening experience. Is it her best album? No. But it's certainly not her worst. It's probably even in my top 5 of the ones I've heard. Definitely at least top 7. It captures the pop-R&B/hip-hop sound of the early 00s extremely well, and there are quite a few songs that should've been HUGE. It's honestly disappointing that they weren't. There were honestly some 11 contenders on this. I can see an argument be made for it being too long, but that's something that never, ever bothers me with an album, so I'm not complaining. I really loved this overall.
    Highlights: Through The Rain, Boy (I Need You), I Only Wanted, Clown, Lullaby, Irresistible (West Side Connection), Bringin' On The Heartbreak

Mariah Carey - The Emancipation Of Mimi

Yeah, I can see why this is considered to be such a classic. It was again, just so damn consistently great. It felt like it was a little more old-school, with more R&B and jazz-focused production mixed with more modern hip-hop and pop flourishes and I really loved that about it. So happy this put Mariah right back on top and reminded everyone how amazing she and her music are. I really don't have a lot more to say. Just another amazing and consistent album from an amazing vocalist and musical icon. Oh, and We Belong Together is really THAT BITCH.
    Highlights: We Belong Together, Shake It Off, Get Your Number, Circles, Your Girl, Fly Like A Bird, Sprung, Don't Forget About Us, We Belong Together (Remix)

I've listened to some more 2020 albums from last month that will come in the next update.
    Older Releases
    Kylie Minogue - Light Years
    LOONA - [XX]
    Emily Osment - Fight Or Flight
    Aly & AJ - Acoustic Hearts Of Winter
    PVRIS - White Noise
    Tonight Alive - Consider This
    PVRIS - Paris
    Tonight Alive - What Are You So Scared Of?
    Tonight Alive - Demo
    Tonight Alive - The Other Side
    Ariana Grande - Christmas Kisses
    Ariana Grande - Christmas & Chill
    Jamelia - Drama
    Jamelia - Thank You
    Jamelia - Walk With Me
    Lana Del Rey - Born To Die
    Mariah Carey - Rainbow
    Mariah Carey - Glitter
    2020 Albums
    Selena Gomez - Rare
    Poppy - I Disagree
    Halsey - Manic
    Hayley Kiyoko - I'm Too Sensitive For This Shit
    Kesha - High Road
    Hayley Williams - Petals For Armor I
    LOONA - [#]
    Allie X - Cape God
    Birds Of Prey: The Album
    DREAMCATCHER - Dystopia: The Tree Of Language
    Mandy Moore - Silver Landings
    Brandy Clark - Your Life Is A Record
    Caitlyn Smith - Supernova
    renforshort - teenage angst EP
    Dua Lipa - Future Nostalgia
    Vanessa Carlton - Love Is An Art
    JoJo - good to know
    Hayley Williams - Petals For Armor
    39/50

Last edited: Jun 12, 2020
  3. Not me having to post 35 albums in this update. Rapid-fire reviews here we go.

[80/300] Fiona Apple - Fetch the Bolt Cutters (2020)
    Rating: ?/10
    Favorite Song(s): Rack of His, Newspaper, Heavy Balloon

Have to give this another listen to determine a rating, it was a lot to take in.

[81/300] Amelia Arsenic - Deathless EP (2020)
    Rating: 5.5/10
    Favorite Song(s): Purity, Deathless

A cute industrial dancepop EP, nothing too special.

[82/300] Chaka Khan - I Feel For You (1984)
    Rating: 6/10
    Favorite Song(s): This Is My Night, I Feel For You, Through the Fire

Definitely want to listen to this one again. This Is My Night has been on constant loop since Widow Von'Du's lipsync.

[83/300] Amherst - heat.wav (2015)
    Favorite Song(s): Collision Course, Nobody But You

Pretty average Future Funk. It's on tons of "best of" lists but I don't see it.

[84/300] Bebe Zahara Benet - Broken English (2020)
    Rating: 5/10
    Favorite Song(s): Money 2 Much, Banjo

Banjo is cute and Money 2 Much is an absolute 10 but the other 3 songs on here aren't that great.

[85/300] JACKIE EXTREME - FRÊÄK (2020)
    Rating: 8/10
    Favorite Song(s): FIGHT, AWAY, DANCE WITH ME

Just a crazy bonkers PC meets witch house meets experimental trip of an album and I love it. Jackie Extreme has so much potential and she deserves to blow up a bit.

[86/300] Caramella Girls - Sweet Decade (2020)
    Rating: 7/10
    Favorite Song(s): Tokyo, Candy Girl

nn this is just a compilation of songs from 2010-2019 that I didn't even know existed but whew boy I semi-shamefully bopped my way through this one.

[87/300] Visage - Visage (1980)
    Favorite Song(s): The Dancer, Fade to Grey

This wasn't bad but... Fade to Grey mislead me pretty hard. I didn't expect the rest of the album to be more alternative.

[88/300] Clepsydra - Sacred Symphonies (2020)
    Favorite Song(s): Dusk Burial, Opal Bones, Black Plague Lullaby Pt. 1

Witch house. Usually fully instrumental albums are a lot harder for me to enjoy; without lyrics songs just kind of fade from my memory which sucks. This one though definitely stood out. Some excellent melodies in here.

[89/300] spatial manufacture ltd. - 最愛 - EDM t r a s h 2k11 (2016)
    Rating: 6.5/10
    Favorite Song(s): Would You Like to Save the Game?, Cracked
    [90/300] spatial manufacture ltd. - Paroxysm Pool - Wired Autonomous (2010)
    Favorite Song(s): Obfuscation, Shifting
    [91/300] spatial manufacture ltd. - Inverted Plus - Silhouette Experience (2014)
    Favorite Song(s): Virulent, Splice
    [92/300] spatial manufacture ltd. - ▼×+×▼ - New Being (2015)
    Favorite Song(s): Cathartic Misery, Abrogated Paroxysm

So I listened to EDM Trash 2k11 and decided to rapid-fire 3 more of this guy's little EPs. I'm in the progress of getting through all his stuff as you'll see later. It's all EDM instrumental stuff and each project has at least one or two standout tracks even if the rest are kind of boring/forgettable and warrant middling ratings so I'll keep listening.

[93/300] Charli XCX - how i'm feeling now (2020)
    Favorite Song(s): detonate, anthems, visions

There's a couple of songs on here I really do not care for at all but whew lord the amount of 9s and 10s on this more than make up for it.

[94/300] ALMA - Have U Seen Her? (2020)
    Favorite Song(s): LA Money, My Girl

Kind of weak first half, stronger second half although I have to be in the right mood to enjoy all the midtempos/ballads.

[95/300] Perfume Genius - Set My Heart on Fire Immediately (2020)
    Favorite Song(s): Describe, Without You

Another album where the singles kind of mislead me. Describe is phenomenal and I listened hoping for more of that, unfortunately didn't get it.

[96/300] Lorde - Pure Heroine (2013)
    Rating: 4/10
    Favorite Song(s): 400 Lux, Team

Yeah, I apparently have never listened to this in full. I'm prepared to be eviscerated for this but it's not that great and definitely overrated ddd. The first half (minus Royals) shits on the second half.

[97/300] Alexandra Stan - Saxobeats (2011)
    Favorite Song(s): Mr. Saxobeat, Show Me the Way

I had way too much fun with this and like it a lot more than anyone should.

[98/300] Alexandra Stan - Unlocked (2014)
    Rating: 4/10
    Favorite Song(s): Kiss Me Goodbye, Trumpet Blows

This album on the other hand, whew lord. A 4 is generous. On second thought I should probably give it a 2 or 3.

[99/300] Weyes Blood - Titanic Rising (2019)
    Favorite Song(s): Andromeda, Wild Time

Initially a lower rating than it probably deserved. I've listened to it a bit since and it's more of a 7 or even 7.5 for sure.

[100/300] FKA twigs - MAGDALENE (2019)
    Favorite Song(s): sad day, holy terrain

I dunno what to say, the fact that my favorites are the most "basic" things on here probably says enough nn.

[101/300] Dagny - Strangers / Lovers - EP (2020)
    Favorite Song(s): Somebody, Paris

Kind of disappointed with Miss Dagny on this one. Somebody and Paris are both immaculate but the rest of the EP fell a bit flat on these ears.

[102/300] Carly Rae Jepsen - Dedicated Side B (2020)
    Rating: 3.5/10
    Favorite Song(s): Felt This Way, Fake Mona Lisa

Eh... yeah. I'm not a huge Carly fan like most pop gays on the internet but even still this was... probably her worst project in years.

[103/300] Hayley Williams - Petals For Armor (2020)
    Favorite Song(s): Dead Horse, Roses/Lotus/Violet/Iris, Sugar On the Rim

Didn't know what to expect from this and was pleasantly surprised!

[104/300] Qveen Herby - EP 8 (2020)
    Favorite Song(s): Sugar Daddy, Mind Games, Check

I know I'm the only bitch on this forum that listens to her but she really does put out some catchy stuff on every EP. I understand the criticisms she receives though; she can be certainly come across as pretty basic and tryhard.

[105/300] Arca - Stretch 1 (2012)
    Favorite Song(s): Dignity, Doep

[106/300] Arca - Stretch 2 (2012)
    Rating: 4.5/10
    Favorite Song(s): 2 Blunted, Meditation

[107/300] Arca - Xen (2014)
    Favorite Song(s): Failed, Thievery, Bullet Chained

Um so the guy I'm currently crushing on a bit loves Arca and I told him I'd listen to her whole discography so I ended up listening to 3 projects in one night. Stretch 1 was pretty good (Doep in particular is INCREDIBLE), Stretch 2 didn't do much for me though. Xen is my crush's favorite album so I was really hoping to enjoy it more but alas. Maybe I'll try to brainwash myself into stanning it at some point nn.

My friend told me KiCK i will without a doubt be my favorite Arca album when all is said and done which sounds pretty basic but I am indeed a basic bitch who needs my lyrical content.

[108/300] Lady Gaga - Chromatica (2020)
    Favorite Song(s): Alice, Sour Candy, Sine From Above, Babylon

I love 90s Dance Hits Vol. 2.

[109/300] i_o & LIGHTS - AM 444 (EP) (2020)
    Favorite Song(s): Annihilation, Epilogue

Great little EP, Annihilation is one of my favorite songs of the year. Gives me heavy Move For Me by Kaskade teas.

[110/300] spatial manufacture ltd. - NИHИL - No Cure (2016)
    Favorite Song(s): Prelude of a Metamorphosis (WTC1 No. 3 BWV 847)

My least favorite project of his so far.

[111/300] "BB St. Clair" (LIZ) - The Whole Wide World (2020)
    Favorite Song(s): The Whole Wide World

The whole mysterious situation surrounding this project is wild and it's all very basic made-for-TV (literally) background music but the title track goes all the way off.

[112/300] spatial manufacture ltd. - 『nenexus』 - #WhiteGirlPopTrash (2016)
    Favorite Song(s): Teenage Avarice, She A Thot?

The EP and song titles on this... no comment. But the last 3 tracks all slapped, made up for the rest.

[113/300] Arca - Mutant (2015)
    Favorite Song(s): Front Load, F*ggot

Second half of this album is noticeably stronger but whew 20 tracks is a lot. I want to listen to this one again because I feel like I missed a lot.

[114/300] NINA - Synthian (2020)
    Favorite Song(s): Runaway, Unnoticed

Cute little synthpop by-the-numbers album, not that that's a bad thing. The first 5 songs were all very very strong, she just ended up losing me with the second half.

[115/300] Dreams We've Had - Everything And You (2019)
    Favorite Song(s): Darling, News From the War, it all feels the same

A wild dreampop band appears. One of my friends linked News From the War and I was instantly intrigued. The album could've been so much better but at least the strong half of it is ridiculously good and will feed me for many late nights. "it all feels the same" is one of the best closers to an album I've EVER heard. The production had me at a loss for words.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2020
  4. Island

Island Staff Member

199. Twice - More & More
    200. Cecile Believe - Made in Heaven
    201. NINA - Synthian
    202. Peaches - Rub
    203. GFOTY - Ham Chunks and Wine
    204. WJSN - Neverland
    205. Sonique - Born to be Free
    206. Gemma Fox - Messy
    207. Heize - Lyricist
    208. Dizzee Rascal - Tongue n Cheek
    209. Lady Leshurr - Quaranqueen
    210. Chloe x Halle - Ungodly Hour
    211. Lola Le Lann - Glaz
    212. TESSÆ - Printemps
    213. ELIA - Elia

Last edited: Jun 12, 2020
    Crisp X likes this.
  5. aux

aux

116/300 - WJSN - Neverland - ★★★★

Exquïsité K-Pop.

Crisp X and savilizabeths like this.
  6. Y'all probably aren't gonna like this update.

Madonna - I'm A Breathless

I avoided listening to this for as long as possible. The thing is, it isn't as bad as everyone makes it out to be. I found myself really liking the jazzy sound and feel of the productions, and for the most part, I really liked her voice on the songs. I do get why it's not well loved - the production isn't exactly fit for pop music lovers, a few of the songs maybe drag a little, or can be a little boring despite "fun" production, and there are a couple songs here that are just a little "blech". And the biggest issue I can see people having with it, is that it just isn't very Madonna - which is the point. The songs were written with the character in mind, not Madonna the person, for the most part. Vogue of course, is randomly here as the last song and might as well be a bonus track or something, but it's the song that also screams "her". It's also a total bop, and one of her best so that helps. Still, I wish it could've just been counted as another new song for The Immaculate Collection. Overall, this is a fine soundtrack, that doesn't completely deserve the hate, but is still probably on the end of her discography as a whole, but also holds one of her best songs. I won't use most of it ever, but there were a couple songs I found myself really liking and can see myself returning to.
    Highlights: He's A Man, Hanky Panky, Something To Remember, Now I'm Following You (Part II), Vogue

Finally getting started on the write-ups I've been neglecting. Okay look: Is this a great pop album? Yes. Is it full of wonderful production, perfect melodies, wonderful gorgeous, and more? Yes. But - and just bear with me - it is not MY album of the year. Now if it's yours - that's wonderful! You do you. Now, let me reiterate that I love almost every single second on this album. It's practically coded in my DNA to stan this. And technically I do - it's an amazing pop album. But this is only the second time I've listened to the album in full since it came out. And it might be my own problem - maybe I just haven't been in the mood for the straight-forward euphoric pop presented here. And after some of the amazing bodies of work that my faves - which might be another issue: while I love her, I don't know if I'd call Dua a top-tier fave of mine - have released this year, I just haven't been as into this. Another problem that I might have is that after listening to this, I don't really feel like I learned anything new about Dua. It's mostly just relationship songs, that's kind of shallow, surface-y stuff - which yes, I know that's on par for most pop music, and fits what she was trying to do with this album, and I'm not saying that's a bad thing. But again, after some of my favorite albums of this year - including my bulletproof top four - I just find myself wanting a little more lately. I really can't explain why I'm not obsessing over this the way I normally would, but my mental state has been mad word for months, so that probably contributes to it. Technically, I love this, and it's full of amazing pop songs. Like, my average for it in the rate will be insane. And I love what Dua was trying to do here, and I love that she succeeded. But right now, it's just now what I want, and I'm not sure why, so if I figure it out, or if that changes, I'll say something in her thread. But I think it's a combination f my weird mental state, the fact that Dua isn't a top-tier fave of mine, and I just don't return to her music that often anyway, and I love other albums from this year more. Which is why the fact it's been lauded as the album of the year is a little annoying to me, and makes me resent it a little. Because though it's amazing pop music, I personally feel there are better albums - which to be fair, don't necessarily fit strictly into the pop genre - that have come out this year. So yeah. That's how I feel about this album. I really hope I get to a place where I can mindlessly stan it, cause where I'm with this right now isn't fun for me. Oh and Good In Bed and Boys Will Be Boys are great songs, y'all can suffer.They really don't fit the album though oop.
    Also P.S. - I know the whole "weird mental state" thing doesn't sound good, but I meant in a "where I'm at with music" capacity, not in a "I'm struggling" capacity. I'm about as okay as I usually am.
    Highlights: Don't Start Now, Cool, Physical, Hallucinate, Love Again, Break My Heart, Boys Will Be Boys

Lady Gaga - Chromatica

This is a fun pop album that's easy to dance to. Um that's pretty much it. Which is exactly the problem. This is a GAGA album. Now, we know she knows how to create amazing pop songs She's done it before. And after literally every other release from her, I just expect something a little...more. Something a little weirder, something different, something more interesting then what's on here. This album screams "The GP love me again, so I'm gonna milk that for all it's worth" which is fine - and it's clearly working for her - but it's just such an obvious move. And I can remember a time when she didn't make obvious choices. Do I enjoy the album? Sure, yeah I guess. On a surface level. I mean, I'm a basic ass bitch when it comes to pop music sometimes. And because I know me, I know that this will probably grow on me with subsequent listens. It's happening now with my second listen, as I like a little more then before. And that's fine. But I still recognize the disappointment I first felt listening to this. And do y'all have any idea how hard it is to disappoint me when it comes to music? It's like trying to disappoint your parents by doing exactly what you want them to. So when it happens, it hurts just a little bit more then usual. That said, there are a couple would-be career highlights - Fun Tonight is one of her best songs lyrically and I love the production - and it's easy to dance to. Actually, I have to say there are a lot of lyrics that I love across this. They are just surrounded by a whole lot of beige. Pinkish purple beige. So as much as I might technically have fun in the moment with it, it doesn't really stick with me, or compel me to return to it. But I will, every so often, and eventually I'll end up loving it, but I'll still feel like it's probably her worst album, and I'll still hope for a better one next time around. Seriously though, I can see myself fully stanning this by like, the end of the year if I end up returning to it. Part of me is kind of annoyed with my future self already dddd.
    Highlights: Stupid Love, Rain On Me, Fun Tonight, Plastic Doll, Replay, 1000 Doves, Babylon

Older Releases
    LOONA - [XX]
    PVRIS - White Noise
    PVRIS - Paris
    Tonight Alive - Demo
    Jamelia - Drama
    Jamelia - Thank You
    Jamelia - Walk With Me
    Mariah Carey - Rainbow
    Mariah Carey - Glitter
    Madonna - I'm Breathless
    2020 Albums
    Selena Gomez - Rare
    Poppy - I Disagree
    Halsey - Manic
    Kesha - High Road
    LOONA - [#]
    Allie X - Cape God
    JoJo - good to know
    Lady Gaga - Chromatica
    41/50

7. 24/27) Lady Gaga - Chromatica

[​IMG]

Favorites : Sour Candy / Rain on Me
    Score : 3/5

I get all the criticism this receives, and I also get the people who love this. But personally I can't have a strong opinion about it, it contains a few bops and I think I will grow tired of it quickly, but I'm enjoying it at the moment.

25/27) Caroline Polachek - Pang

[​IMG]

Favorites : So Hot You're Hurting My Feelings / Hit Me Where It Hurts

Score: 4/5

This is full of growers. Every time I've listened to it, I've found a new favorite. It also has a fair combination of bops and emotional songs which is something I always love in albums.

26-28) I also listened to these for the Mariah rate:

And with that, I've officially reached my goal, which is difficult to get, not everybody has that. I'm going to extend this to a new goal of 52 albums nn.

8. Island

Island Staff Member

214. Destiny's Child - Survivor
    215. Hoshi - Sommeil levant
    216. Alice et moi - Frénésie
    217. Louise Verneuil - Lumière noire
    218. Lavida Loca - 2 Sides

9. Ddddd your efficiency makes me jealous.

Island likes this.
  10. Island

Island Staff Member

Some days I just spend researching acts by googling old PJ threads or looking at my Apple Music playlists. I already know I'm not gonna top this years' count haha.

Music Is Life likes this.
  11. Ooo that's a good idea. I'm gonna keep that in mind. But I have so much to shave off my list first haha.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2020
    Island likes this.
  12. [116/300] Arca - Arca (2017)
    Rating: 2.5/10
    Favorite Song(s): Reverie

Yeah uh, I was not feeling this one. I'm sure if I understood the lyrics I would appreciate it a bit more but unfortunately foreign language ballads do not translate as well as bops. Other than that I caught myself wondering when the album would be over multiple times. I think it had the least attention-grabbing and interesting production out of all her albums by a mile.

[117/300] Night Tempo - Fantasy (2017)
    Favorite Song(s): Catch!, Nighty Night

Cute but long Future Funk album that ultimately was good but began to sound very samey and predictable. Lots of songs followed the same structure.

[118/300] LemKuuja - CHEESECAKE+ (2018)
    Favorite Song(s): November, Envie Interlude, Me and Only Me

Actually still finishing the album up as I write this but I'm feeling a strong 7 on first impression, probably even higher in the future. One of the most genre-bending Future Funk albums I've heard to the point that I'm almost not even sure I could call it that. Lots of songs are by the way of Justice as well which I am fully here for. Hell, Me and Only Me samples Let There Be Light by them. Despite being 19 tracks long it has stayed consistently engaging and strong throughout.

13. Island

Island Staff Member

219. Phoebe Bridgers - Punisher
    220. Weki Meki - Hide and Seek
    221. Julia - Passe... comme tu sais
    222. Deee-Lite - Infinity Within
    223. 100 gecs - 1000 gecs
    224. Jessie Ware - What's Your Pleasure
    225. Kitty - Charm and Mirror
    226. East 17 - Walthamstow
    227. East 17 - Steam
    228. Erika de Casier - Essentials
    229. Andrea Valle - Lovergirl
    230. Hwa Sa - Maria
    231. Brandy - Never Say Never

Last edited: Jun 30, 2020
    soratami and Crisp X like this.
  14. aux

aux

117/300 - NINA - Synthian - ★★★★½

Listen to this. Just do it.

118/300 - Phoebe Bridgers - Punisher - ★★★★½

Sad gays won!

119/300 - Teyana Taylor - Punisher - ★★★½

A behemoth.

120/300 - Chloe x Halle - Ungodly Hour - ★★★★★

Perfection.

121/300 - Jessie Ware - What's Your Pleasure? - ★★★★★

Bulletproof nu-disco.

121/300 - HAIM - Women In Music Pt. III - ★★★★★

#TheHAIMRate coming soon xx

122/300 - SEVENTEEN - HENG:GARÆ - ★★★★

This was... surprisingly solid. I'm normally not into male K-Pop groups, but I fear that's about to change.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2020
  15. Not planning on listening to anything new this month, seaux...

June update: 198/200

Everyday Nothing - Brooke Bentham 2020
    Murder In The Dark - Gia Ford 2020
    Get To You - Chantal Kreviazuk 2020
    Women In Music Pt. III - Haim 2020
    What's Your Pleasure? - Jessie Ware 2020 ★
    Synthian - NINA 2020

2019 left-overs
    My Resignation - Geowulf 2019 ★
    the wonderful world of nature - Elizabeth 2019
    All Mirrors - Angel Olsen 2019

2010s
    Manifest - Linda Sundblad 2010
    Church - Kelsey Lu 2016
    Be the Cowboy - Mitski 2018
    Tell Me How You Really Feel - Courtney Barnett 2018 ★

2000s
    Are You Thinking What I'm Thinking? - The Like 2005
    Believe In Angels Believe In Me - Angel Faith 2004
    Soak - Rachel Farris 2003
    The Promise - Bif Naked 2009
    Ghost Stories - Chantal Kreviazuk 2006
    [REDACTED]
    Purge - Bif Naked 2001
    Colour Moving And Still - Chantal Kreviazuk 2000
    What If It All Means Something - Chantal Kreviazuk 2002
    Superbeautifulmonster - Bif Naked 2005 ★

1970s
    A Love Trilogy - Donna Summer 1976
    Love To Love You Baby - Donna Summer 1975
    Steppin' - The Pointer Sisters 1975
    Carly Simon - Carly Simon 1971
    Whatever's For Us - Joan Armatrading 1972
    Nightbirds - LaBelle 1974
    Fame - Grace Jones 1978
    Having A Party - The Pointer Sisters 1977
    I Remember Yesterday - Donna Summer 1977
    To The Limit - Joan Armatrading 1978
    She Used To Wanna Be A Ballerina - Buffy Sainte-Marie 1971
    LaBelle - LaBelle 1971
    No Secrets - Carly Simon 1972
    Love Tracks - Gloria Gaynor 1978
    Energy - The Pointer Sisters 1978
    Muse - Grace Jones 1979
    Blondie - Blondie 1976
    Bad Girls - Donna Summer 1979
    Come To My Garden - Minnie Ripperton 1970
    Moonshot - Buffy Sainte-Marie 1972
    Quiet Places - Buffy Sainte-Marie 1973 ★
    Desertshore - Nico 1970
    The End - Nico 1974
    Another Passenger - Carly Simon 1976
    Spy - Carly Simon 1979
    Chameleon - LaBelle 1976
    Portfolio - Grace Jones 1977
    Lady Of The Night - Donna Summer 1974
    Priority - The Pointer Sisters 1979
    Parallel Lines - Blondie 1978
    A Promise - Miriam Makeba 1974
    Phoenix - LaBelle 1975

★ - best of the bunch

16. 2020 Mid-Year Report

Duncan Sheik, Covers 80's (2011)
    Cardi B, Invasion of Privacy (2018)
    Jade Bird, Jade Bird (2019)

Haim, Something to Tell You (2017)
    Lana Del Rey, Lust for Life (2017)
    Darren Hayes, The Tension and the Spark (2004)
    Colbie Caillat, The Malibu Sessions (2016)
    Amy Studt, My Paper Made Men (2008) ★
    Sara Bareilles, The Blessed Unrest (2013)
    Michelle Branch, Everything Comes and Goes (2010)

Skye Sweetnam, Sound Soldier (2007)
    Danielle Brisebois, Arrive All Over You (1994)
    Troye Sivan, Bloom (2018)
    La Roux, Supervision (2020)
    Gabrielle Aplin, Dear Happy (2020)

Meghan Trainor, Treat Myself (2020)
    Echosmith, Lonely Generation (2020)

Mandy Moore, Silver Landings (2020)

Pixie Lott, Turn It Up (2009)
    Paloma Faith, A Perfect Contradiction (2014)

Martine McCutcheon, Musicality (2002)
    Miranda Lambert, Four the Record (2011)
    Harry Styles, Fine Line (2019)
    Paula Cole, Ballads (2017)
    Dixie Chicks, Shouldn't a Told You That (1993)
    Dua Lipa, Dua Lipa (2017)
    Céline Dion, Falling into You (1996)
    Toni Braxton, Secrets (1996)
    Madonna, Ray of Light (1998) ★
    Rufus Wainwright, Rufus Wainwright (1998) ★

Ace of Base, Hidden Gems (2015) ★
    Pat Benatar, Get Nervous (1982)
    Tommy Page, From the Heart (1991)
    Kylie Minogue, X (2007)
    Jennifer Lopez, J.Lo (2001)
    Rina Sawayama, SAWAYAMA (2020)
    Frank Ocean, Blonde (2016)

Charlotte Church, Back to Scratch (2010) ★
    Duran Duran, Notorious (1986)
    Sam Hunt, Southside (2020)

Vanessa Carlton, Love Is an Art (2020)
    Lady Gaga, Chromatica (2020)
    Fiona Apple, Fetch the Bolt Cutters (2020)

Post Malone, Stoney (2016)
    Lenka, The Bright Side (2015)
    Conan Gray, Kid Krow (2020)
    Foster the People, Supermodel (2014)
    Céline Dion, Let's Talk About Love (1997)
    P!nk, Greatest Hits... So Far!!! (2010)
    Kesha, High Road (2020)

Robyn, My Truth (1999)

bold for 2020 releases
    underline for most recent album release by the artist
    ★ for favorites

51/100

Still mainly catching up on older stuff as always, but newer releases are slowly taking over (as they should, as lots of great new material keep showing up) the field. 2020 has been amazing. SAWAYAMA is by far this year's masterpiece so far. I can not stress how much this album has surprised me in a positive way. Only Rina Sawayama can make even new jack swing sound new, have swing, and make us rather jack in this day and age!

Speaking of new jack swing, Tommy Page's 1991 new jack swing-infused opus From the Heart must be the low point of this year's discoveries so far. Rarely anything ever lands (much like it's "female counterpart", Tiffany's New Inside). 1996 releases like Toni Braxton's Secrets and Céline Dion's Falling into You do a better job at tackling the same brand of music Tommy Page used to release. And I'm not even a big Diane Warren fan at all...

One old discovery that positively surprised me was Pixie Lott's Turn It Up. It's a bit faceless and very "of its time" music, but girl got some bops! "Boys and Girls" is the perfect summation of that formula and got me hooked after more than a decade. Same goes for Charlotte Church's Back to Scratch. I thought it would be a return to her classical crossover roots, but it develops the Tissues and Issues sound with pop sensibilities and stays away from her earlier work, for the most part. But, out of the whole bunch of 00s British pop princesses, my favorite discovery comes from Amy Studt. "Nice Boys" is absolutely perfect and on track to become one of my most played tracks ever. And it's not even the only My Paper Made Men track I love; "Sad, Sad World" and "She Ran" certainly got me, as well.

I'm almost fully on track to completing Lana Del Reagan's discography, as well. Just Norman Fucking Rockwell! left. And patching the holes on Kylie Minogue's (X), Colbie Caillat's (The Malibu Sessions), Troye Sivan's (Bloom) and Duncan Sheik's (Covers 80's) discographies, getting ready for the promised new releases. Hopefully Kylie changes her mind and doesn't release another album titled Kylie, BTW.

Kid Krow is another positive surprise for this year ("Wish You Were Sober" is a song that I feel I'll get very addicted to in a minute), as are Kesha's High Road, which has plenty of moments, and Mandy Moore's Silver Landings (a very adequate comeback after so long). Meghan Trainor's Treat Myself is probably her best album yet, so it's a shame it was DOA.

Excited to see what's yet to come during this year, when there's already so much lined up (Dua Lipa, Norah Jones, HAIM, Hayley Williams). The year may have been shitty so far, but the music has been mostly great, at least!

17. June update

fatyoshi - 175/50 (138 old releases, 37 2020 releases)

Old (Artist - Album / Year / Rating / Favorite track):
    New (Artist - Album / Genre / Rating / Favorite track):

18. Island

Island Staff Member

232. Kirsty Hawkshaw - O U T
    233. Ingrid Schroeder - Bee Charmer
    234. Owl Eyes - Invisible Woman
    235. *NSYNC - Celebrity
    236. SUMIN - XX,
    237. Alanis Morisette - Jagged Little Pill
    238. Tasmin Archer - Great Expectations

Last edited: Jul 6, 2020 at 5:13 AM
    Crisp X likes this.
  19. I've gone deeper into my "90s Queens" obsession.

29/52) Janet Jackson - janet.

Rating : 5/5 (my most played album of June)
    Favorites: If / Throb / Whoops Now

30/52) Mariah Carey - Music Box

Rating : 4/5
    Favorites : Hero / Music Box

31/52) Mariah Carey - Daydream

Rating : 4.5/5
    Favorites : Always Be My Baby / Fantasy / Undreneath the Stars

32/52) Mariah Carey - Butterfly

Rating : 4.5/5
    Literally the best songs of all time: My All / The Roof

33/52) FKA Twigs - Magdalene

Rating : 3.5/5
    Favorite: Sad Day

20. Taeyeon - I - The 1st Mini Album

This is a beautiful little debut. I really love the production throughout, and the slight mix of genres, and her voice is absolutely gorgeous. So glad I started doing @Vixen's rate.
    Highlights: I, U R, Stress (Bonus: Rain, Secret)

Taeyeon - Why - The 2nd Mini Album

I loved I and I stand by that. But...this kinda shits all over it? It's low-key amazing. Again, I love the production on every song, and the way it's used to create a certain feel on each one. There's also some pretty frequent use of handclaps and/or finger-snaps throughout, so you know I stan. Her voice is absolutely beautiful and I already can't get enough of it, and the features really worked for me. I can't wait to listen to more of her stuff.
    Highlights: Why, Starlight, Fashion, Hands On Me, Good Thing

Older Releases
    LOONA - [XX]
    PVRIS - White Noise
    PVRIS - Paris
    Tonight Alive - Demo
    Jamelia - Drama
    Jamelia - Thank You
    Jamelia - Walk With Me
    Mariah Carey - Rainbow
    Mariah Carey - Glitter
    Madonna - I'm Breathless
    Taeyeon - I
    Taeyeon - Why
    2020 Albums
    Selena Gomez - Rare
    Poppy - I Disagree
    Halsey - Manic
    Kesha - High Road
    LOONA - [#]
    Allie X - Cape God
    JoJo - good to know
    Lady Gaga - Chromatica
    43/50

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.