2024 BRIT Awards

I thought “medley” was a bit meh from Kylie. The opening recreating the iconic Can’t Get Blue Monday performance was good, but then just Can’t Get, Love At First Sight and All The Lovers? That’s only 20 years not the 50 decades they talked about.

I thought “medley” was a bit meh from Kylie. The opening recreating the iconic Can’t Get Blue Monday performance was good, but then just Can’t Get, Love At First Sight and All The Lovers? That’s only 20 years not the 50 decades they talked about.
There was Slow as well.

The audience probably didn’t care for anything pre 2001.

I’ve been out tonight so just catching up now - but they wonder why the BRITs are losing viewers and out of touch?

Make it about popular music rather than who the critics enjoy - Jungle winning Best Group when they struggle to fill 2,000 capacity venues in the UK when there are acts like Arctic Monkeys, The Rolling Stones, Everything But the Girl, Gorillaz, The 1975, McFly, Bring me the Horizon, Take That who easily sell out arenas and stadiums didn’t even get a look in for that category?

British audiences traditionally want to see people they know be awarded. The Jungle album is great - and I’ve supported them for so many years - but the BRITs aren’t going to help themselves as being seen as “London elite” when they award people who 90% of the audience haven’t heard of.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again - move the BRITs to a different UK city each year. They’re such an institution now that the buzz of bringing the BRITs - and the many BRITs Week concerts take place - to a different UK city each year would create such an amazing atmosphere and build the brand back up to something people in the country can actively get involved in. Channel the BRIT Bursary funding into that city and showcase some local talent. It’ll do wonders.

It needs to include more popular artists, I had never heard of some of the nominees, and sadly I wasn’t interested in learning about them tonight on prime time tv.

Kudos to Raye for her wins, but it is boring when the same artist is nominated in multiple categories and goes on to win them. And Brit school headmaster presenting Brit school alumni a reward all feels a little bit like a self congratulatory club.

And only Miley made any effort with her acceptance video. The other international artists looked like they’d made a video on their phone on the way to somewhere more interesting.

Last edited:
I’ve just watched tonight’s ceremony in full. I have been the biggest supporter of the BRITs for so long. Used to be one of my highlights of the year. I’ve been a few times. But tonight’s show just highlighted everything wrong with it.

I am so chuffed for RAYE and everything she stands for. When the Twenty Quid Prize was judged earlier this year, I was an absolute advocate on the panel for Escapism winning. But bringing out her former headteacher to award her with Album of the Year just showed that they wanted to highlight the success of the BRIT School rather than her and her incredible success.

Chase & Status winning Producers of the Year when they’ve only produced their own songs and have had 3 Top 10 hits in the last year - there are so many other producers that could have won that but instead seemed like a way to justify their place in the performer lineup.

Besides Kylie and Dua, there were no A-List performances. I’ve seen RAYE do that performance countless times. No surprises, no one-off duets.

For next year, they need to go back to the drawing board. How do they bring atmosphere back into the room? How do they attract stars which actually reflect the popular music of the last year? How do they create interesting performances which capture a casual audience at home? How do you get viewers at home invested in these awards again?

I’m so happy for RAYE getting the recognition she deserves but I’m also angry at the BRITs for trying to make it about them and the BRIT School - something which means nothing for 99% of viewers watching at home.

Such a confusing show and such a confusing state the British music business is in.

On the plus side, the performances were pretty good, and the nominations seemed to (mostly) reflect the last year in a fair way.

RAYE is an interesting one to me. I liked "Escapism" though the rest of her stuff isn't my cup of tea. She's talented, and she was good value in her speeches. Happy for her. But it's a bit weird that she's being tauted as some sort of megastar when that "album of the year" only spent 2 weeks in the top 40 and spawned no other hit singles.

They should really have realised too that giving her Best New Artist was a bit odd when she's been around for as many years as she's had. I know she was eligible for it because she's only just released her first album, but it doesn't really paint a very good picture of the health of the industry does it. But then, you look at who else was in the category and it kind of makes sense!

I know it's partly me getting older and not being as in the loop as I once was - but I do still check out the top 40 every week, and there there were quite a few artists I had literally never heard of this year. Why have record labels got so bad at making new artists successful now?

What frustrates me the most is how no one seems to understand that there's such a big market for uncomplicated, mainstream pop music. When the biggest hits of last year was stuff like "Flowers", "Dance The Night", "Miracle" and "Greedy", I don't get why no one wants to be or find the next Dua Lipa. Why is everyone trying to be too cool for school and being celebrated despite a complete lack of interest from the wider public?

I’ve been out tonight so just catching up now - but they wonder why the BRITs are losing viewers and out of touch?

Make it about popular music rather than who the critics enjoy - Jungle winning Best Group when they struggle to fill 2,000 capacity venues in the UK when there are acts like Arctic Monkeys, The Rolling Stones, Everything But the Girl, Gorillaz, The 1975, McFly, Bring me the Horizon, Take That who easily sell out arenas and stadiums didn’t even get a look in for that category?

British audiences traditionally want to see people they know be awarded. The Jungle album is great - and I’ve supported them for so many years - but the BRITs aren’t going to help themselves as being seen as “London elite” when they award people who 90% of the audience haven’t heard of.
Agree, they need to look at the actual sales and charting positions as well as some bigger albums for example weren’t nominated against albums which barely scraped the top 40 or Top 10 but was critically loved.

Also, how can an album by Blur compare to Raye or Little Simz, they are wildly different!

I’m also over the international categories they rarely make any effort to come, it’s almost always a video and it’s boring to watch!