2024 BRIT Awards

I thought they were mainly spot on with the nominations and winners. The problems are with the event itself. Maya and Roman were awful hosts, there should have been fans in a pit near the stage to generate some atmosphere and most of the performances were subpar. I actually think they could have had fewer awards given on the night and had more performances by British artists. It’s crazy that The Last Dinner Party weren’t performing given they got one of the biggest awards. Sprinter not being performed despite being the biggest British single of last year? A huge talent like Little Simz being nominated for Album of the Year but not being given a performance slot? There is so much amazing British talent to showcase and celebrate!

It was an editorial disaster. The total lack of atmosphere and energy in the room. The periods of deafening silence. The cringe-inducing gags and gimmicks. The wholly unnecessary ‘mingle with the celebs at the tables’ nonsense.

I’d ban all jokes and all needless filler and just have the show simply be about the awards and the performances. Just have the host do the basic links and that’s it.

there should have been fans in a pit near the stage to generate some atmosphere
There were 2 pits - one either side of the catwalk. The issue was that the people in them either spent most of the performances recording on their phones or just didn’t know the songs.

In the 90s, from the Elton and RuPaul hosted show, there was a vibe - they'd have the presenters on the stage interacting only with award-givers and award-winners on stage, and a crowd of fans at the front, with label execs seated further back. That worked. It felt like a gig. Having the hosts in the audience working the room just doesn't work, no matter how good the hosts are at live TV.

Last edited:
The Brits peaked with Thank Abba for the Music let's be honest.

The reality is some of y'all just need to accept you're old now.

But more seriously it just feels like BRITS is simply not an 'Event' like it used to be. Lame performances with zero innovation - Kylie was amazing but it was hardly new. There's no hype, nothing that makes everyone go 'bloody hell' (whether in a good way or a bad way).

I mean can you imagine a huge pop genre defining moment like Bag It Up happening at the BRITS now? It's all just a bit sterile and ultimately joyless.

Even the fact none of the big international artists bother to turn up says a lot (I mean I know even in the hey-day people would be missing but like none of the nominees were there at all). Tate mumbling over her pre recorded vocals wasn't really it.

Raye was great though, and the moment with her grandmother was gorgeous. I do think she deserves her flowers and hope this really launches her even higher, but *6* BRIT awards, really? Best New Artists to someone who's been having top 20 hits for years?

But the big problem was the hosting, the interactions and the absolute zero atmosphere.

I am an old man and I've never heard of half the nominees these days, and that's fine, but you usually still get one or two moments in the night that are exciting and get people talking. Last night the audience felt like they didn't even care in the moment let alone the next day.

The UK music industry is still proper innovative and exciting, so why was the biggest night of the year neither of those things?

Anyway, time for grandpa to have his afternoon nap.

Last edited:
Dua was a great opener. Then the show seemed to just nose dive with awkward links and jokes that flatlined. Also, why was nearly every presenter an actor?

Some good performances throughout though and Kylie did a good job to close the show, although I do wish the setlist was less predictable.

I’m seeing some of the people who actually did attend - Jessie Ware, Little Simz, Melanie C, Shaznay Lewis, Olly Alexander, Gabriels, Natasha Bedingfield.

It baffles me why we got presenters like Rob Beckett, Jaime Winstone and her from Downton Abbey when there are actual icons, current nominees and past winners in the room who weren’t invited to do anything.

I’m seeing some of the people who actually did attend - Jessie Ware, Little Simz, Melanie C, Shaznay Lewis, Olly Alexander, Gabriels, Natasha Bedingfield.

It baffles me why we got presenters like Rob Beckett, Jaime Winstone and her from Downton Abbey when there are actual icons, current nominees and past winners in the room who weren’t invited to do anything.
Gabriels, Little Simz and Jessie Ware should have been performing!

Staff member

They probably just wanted to go for the shits and giggles rather than having the pressures of having to do anything. A Jessie performance would've been most welcome though!

It saddens me that despite being one of the UK’s most successful touring acs STEPS have never performed at the Brits solo.

I also think it would’ve been good if Olly Alexander got to debut his Eurovision song to show that the U.K. actually supports their entrants.