20GAYTeen the Rate: Muna or Haim or... | Page 73 | The Popjustice Forum

20GAYTeen the Rate: Muna or Haim or...

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by Trouble in Paradise, Dec 8, 2018.

?

What's your favorite album from the main artists of the rate?

1. Expectations by Hayley Kiyoko

14 vote(s)
    10.1%
  2. Bloom by Troye Sivan

12 vote(s)
    8.7%
  3. Palo Santo by Years & Years

14 vote(s)
    10.1%
  4. Language by MNEK

8 vote(s)
    5.8%
  5. O by Ssion

5 vote(s)
    3.6%
  6. Dirty Computer by Janelle Monae

57 vote(s)
    41.3%
  7. Chris by Christine & the Queens

14 vote(s)
    10.1%
  8. Oil of Every Pearl's Un-Insides

14 vote(s)
    10.1%
  1. They were originally called Now, Now Every Children. I don't know if that makes any more sense though.

2. I may have totally shut off to this rate but Now, Now still being here is AMAZING

3. Most of my remaining low scores come from the "main" big acts. I don't think I'm ready to be (rightly) dragged for them.

This made me laugh out loud in real life because of how relatable this is.

4. Hey y’all! So instead of getting my write up done Wednesday night or yesterday I had to go to a wake and a funeral and now this weekend is full of teacher evaluation work so no promises! I have the research done but gotta get through the spreadsheets and formatting. Thanks for your patience!!

5. Introducing our next cut is Ruth Ellis who in 1999 was celebrated as the oldest living out lesbian on her 100th birthday! She was the subject of Yvonne Welbon's documentary about her life which was full of activism for both the queer and African-American communities. Her home was a refuge for African-American gay and lesbian people in a time before gay and lesbian bars were commonplace.

[​IMG]
    36. “Volcanic Love”
    By The Aces

Highest Scores: 10 x 4 (@Reboot @Untitled @Music Is Life @Untouchable Ace)
    9.5 x 1 (@slaybellz )
    Lowest Scores: 5 x 1 (@LE0Night ) 5.5 x 2 (@Riiiiiiiii @KingBruno )
    My Score: 7

You’re burning me up
    Tell me you feel it now
    You’re burning me up
    I know you need it now
    Love, volcanic love

The Aces are a band made up of two queer sisters and two friends who will inevitably invite comparisons to another band comprised of sisters. When I first gave them a listen, it definitely felt very Haim-lite but with repeated listens I came to really love the tone of Cristal’s voice. She’s got a great grit that gives these sleek 80’s pop jams some needed edge. I’d say most of you agreed as there were A LOT of scores hanging between 7 and 8. At this point, I’d probably bump my score at least to 7.5 (though with the weather turning to summer an 8 is tempting!)

When they first released “Volcanic Love” the girls took to twitter to explain:

Those poor, queer girls in Utah… But actually I know what they mean in so many words. When you’re creating art- be it music, painting, poetry, etc- there’s that moment where you feel like you breakthrough trying to replicate what you admire and start creating what is authentically yours.

Speaking of being queer in Utah, in an interview with Refinery29, Cristal gave me major Sam “My Music Is Universal” Smith vibes:

“I definitely fear us being pigeonholed as a ‘gay band’ because, regardless of being queer, Alisa and I try to write music that’s universal, whether it’s girls our age listening to our songs or straight men,” Cristal says. “But that being said, we purposely try to steer away from using gender pronouns, because we want our songs to be open to interpretation by anybody. I’m proud to be queer. But our band has multiple identities. And at the end of the day, we don’t need to complicate gender and sexuality...we’re all humans who listen to music to connect and know someone else out there feels how we do about love.”​

Like I get it, but to say “I’m proud to be queer” and quickly follow it up with “we don’t need to complicate gender and sexuality” makes me question how much they understand queerness and queer history. Like most queer experiences exist in a space of complicating gender and sexuality simply by existing. The little ellipses worries me that their point may have been taken a bit out of context.

I’ll close on my favorite quote related to “Volcanic Love.” When talking with NME, Cristal highlighted the song as holding her favorite lyrics:

I really love the chorus of “Volcanic Love” because I think it’s very emotional. “Tell me you feel it now” is probably one of my favorite lines because it’s that moment of “you feel it too, right? I’m not crazy because I feel so intensely about you.” That just feels very human to me.​

Ohh baby, let me hop on your “we’re all human” train for a minute cause I feel that!

Now let’s see what y’all are feeling:

Slaybellz When she sings “you’re burning me up” with that raspy voice it does something to me. This is definitely their best song.
    Reboot “The Aces” is what I was going to call my girl group if I ever found four fellow asexuals to make music with. I don’t think our songs would be as good as Volcanic Love, though
    Pop3blow2 Ooooh, this is nice & new to me! It reminds of a lot of stuff, but still sounds somewhat singular. I need to look into The Aces more, for sure.
    Constantino All this does is make me miss MUNA. This is the sonic version of the person you flirt with to make the person you’re actually interested in jealous. It’s fine, but I would erase it from Spotify for a new MUNA album.
    Ufint Well, HAIM wishes they could have made this and MUNA would maybe include it as an album track. I do like it, but it’s a sound and a road that has absolutely been travelled down a couple of million times too many.
    The Hot Rock This was kinda cute but it didn't blow me away. Will try the full length or some more songs for sure.
    Verandi Oh it's like a cross between The 1975 and HAIM. Giving what the gays want apparently.
    Kalonite I love the rough vocals on the chorus toward the end.
    Music is Life Love the vocals, they kind of remind me of Hayley Williams's. Actually the whole song kinda reminds me of Paramore (I hate making comparisons like this, but it pops into my head anyway). But this is really fucking good, and I love it. I especially love the drums on this.
    Untouchable Ace Not mad if this wins, they can still save pop this decade.
    Untitled serve me those 90s alt pop bops through the holy power of hiccuppy choruses [​IMG]

6. Of course the next elimination is one of the three I specifically didn't want out next!

HAIM, MUNA, The 1975, Paramore. All we're missing is the Tegan and Sara comparison for the ultimate bingo. I love this song but yeah the problem with this group is that they sound like too many other bands and haven't really found their musical identity yet.

7. Can I also say how much the queer ladies were here for the Aces?! I think the lowest score from someone with a female pronoun was a 6.5 and the majority were between 8 and 9!

8. Volcanic Love was one of my favourite releases from last year so I'm sad it's out already. That said, it did a lot better than I feared it would. The album didn't grab me as much as the singles, but I look forward to seeing what they do next.

9. I actually need to check out that album, Volcanic Love was one of my favourite discoveries of the rate.

10. I feel the need to remind everyone that Dance To This - the equivalent of musical melatonin - is still here.

11. [​IMG]

12. You mean the Dance To This that we al voted in the top 5 of your PJ Chart?

Good times.

13. Some of y'all really see two popstars collab and go wild uh? "Dance To This" is by far the worst song left. Just let it die.

14. So is this the reason why What I Need beat far better Hayley tracks like Sleepover, HNLY and Molecules?

15. Some of y'all really need to let some joy in, and some jealousy out.

16. I may have just voted for it again in the 2018 PJ Chart Rate!

17. I have the joy of serving you the next elimination. Due to Eurovision and Norwegian Constitution day tomorrow, I am slightly delayed though. Hopefully I'll be able to post it Saturday before the grand finale, but if not, I'll get it out on Sunday.

This is going to be a VERY controversial elimination.

[​IMG]

ohnostalgia, slaybellz, vague and 9 others like this.
  18. Could it finally be a Janelle song?

[​IMG]

19. Aren't they all at this point ddd

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.