20GAYTeen the Rate: WINNER!! | Page 71 | The Popjustice Forum

20GAYTeen the Rate: WINNER!!

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by Trouble in Paradise, Dec 8, 2018.

?

What's your favorite album from the main artists of the rate?

1. Expectations by Hayley Kiyoko

15 vote(s)
    10.3%
  2. Bloom by Troye Sivan

12 vote(s)
    8.3%
  3. Palo Santo by Years & Years

15 vote(s)
    10.3%
  4. Language by MNEK

9 vote(s)
    6.2%
  5. O by Ssion

5 vote(s)
    3.4%
  6. Dirty Computer by Janelle Monae

59 vote(s)
    40.7%
  7. Chris by Christine & the Queens

15 vote(s)
    10.3%
  8. Oil of Every Pearl's Un-Insides

15 vote(s)
    10.3%
  1. I also went to Catholic school. It’s a trip.

2. The time has sadly come to officially say goodbye to our beloved "Molecules," feel free to revisit my post-therapy ramblings below along with some beautiful commentary from you all!

3. Still way too early. I'm sad the correction of my score for it to a 10 didn't help it more.

berserkboi, vague, soratami and 4 others like this.
  4. Molecules will likely be an 11 contender for me in any rate its included in from here on out on Popjustice.

5. So it ended up at #38, right? A ten-place bump isn't bad.

Hopefully Curious is in serious contention for the win.

constantino, vague, soratami and 4 others like this.
  6. Fixed!

Speaking of nightmares, It's Okay To Cry out before the top 40 when it's top 20 material is... unacceptable. Y'all need help.

7. Yeah it got more of a bump than I thought it would. Still was at least Top Thirty material.

8. [​IMG]

9. I thought it was the clear winner of the whole rate, honestly.

10. dddd seriously?

That entire top 3 is gonna be Janelle for sure...

11. Dddd imagine thinking Sophie and her whispery ASMR vocals deserve being anywhere near the top 40 when there are actual vocalists in this rate.

12. Ddd I can't at you tanking songs because of the vocals in various rates and then giving this a 9.5 in the PJSC rate

13. Average vocals can be redeemed by boppability.

(See: Jennifer Lopez’s entire career.)

But yes, the vocals on that one annoy me, and I said as much in my commentary. It’s why I couldn’t give her a 10. Then again, that rate isn’t exactly awash with impressive vocalists, so...

14. Dddd I honestly forgot she was in this rate. Is she the last artist to remain untouched @Trouble in Paradise?

15. It's Okay To Lie @londonrain. You are obviously not there jet when it comes to the force of nature, ahead of her time, groundbreaking, aesthetic superhuman and basically THE supreme producer that is Sophie.

x

16. Maybe she should have just left the vocals to someone else, then, and stuck to production xxx

(In all seriousness, I can see It’s Okay to Cry being a great song if it had been sung by someone else.)

17. I don’t mind SOPHIE veering off to ASMR land, I just don’t care for her PC production. Cry was actually my highest SOPHIE score because it dialled that down a lot.

18. Here to introduce the next hastily put together write up is Mabel Hampton who was a pioneering black lesbian activist who was a dancer in the Harlem Renaissance, a constant supporter of both Black and LGBT rights and organizations and a major resource for capturing and preserving the history of black LGBT people.

[​IMG]
    37. "Karma"
    By Years & Years

Highest Scores: 10 x 3 (@Sanctuary @GimmeWork @KingBruno) 9.5 x 1 (@Blob)
    Lowest Scores: 4.5 x 1 (@LE0Night) 5 x 3 (@Empty Shoebox @Cutlery @The Hot Rock)
    My Score: 8.5

So many questions in my life
    Is every truth just an illusion?
    Tell me I'm broken by design
    So I can see the beauty in my flaws
    And find some peace of mind

I hope that the lack of information and research present in this write up will be balanced by that absolute PHOTOGRAPH! I'll be real with y'all, I have a deep thirst for Olly and when that pic first popped up on my instagram it did things to me. ANYWAYS...

"Karma" is actually one of my favorite tracks from the standard edition of Palo Santo since it represents actual strong musical growth for the group. As I'm sure we'll read about in the commentary, it's got some serious 90's vibes that fit Olly's vocals really well (if you like Olly's vocals to begin with) The replay value is super high which I found to be an issue with some of the other Palo Santo bops (side eying "Hallelujah").

Now much has been made about the lack of Emre and Mikey's involvement in the genesis of Palo Santo since the songs were more or less written by Olly and a diverse array of songwriters and produced by outside industry producers instead of just the boys. I think "Karma" is one of the places in the album where this works really well. GRADES produced (and co-wrote) "Karma" and I think most of us can agree it's a bop! I originally heard of GRADES from their work on the Other People's Heartbreak mixtape from Bastille. Interestingly, in their album breakdown Emre really spoke the most about it:

Emre: "90's old school jam kind of thing. I would say if Montell Jordan married some of TLC"
    Olly: "That is a beautiful relationship"
    Emre: "had a babay, had a babay"
    And that's about all I got about the song from the boys so let's hear from you all!
    Posh Spears The opening reminds me of a video game soundtrack so I kinda have to stan huh?
    Slaybellz Sounds like they ripped off Lauryn Hill’s “Everything Is Everything”. (ed. note: she gave this a 5.5 so it is not a compliment!)
    untitled this is giving me 2003 dodgily produced top 10 hit. that's a compliment from me
    Pop3blow2 I like this the best of the songs I’ve heard by them. Great groove. I like the lyrics & bridge a lot.
    The Hot Rock I think Y&Y might just not be for me.
    ufint Why did they have to go and steal poor Mis-Teeq’s ‘Scandalous’ sound and soften it? Unoriginal, but I bop.
    CorgiCorgiCorgi this is what Justin Timberlake’s new album should’ve sounded like (ed. note: I have reported CorgiCorgiCorgi for a hate crime for uttering J*st*n T*mb*rl*k*'s name in a queer music rate)
    Gimmework So under-rated. Should have been a single.
    KingBruno Elaborate and effervescent, with a great lyrical matter to top it off.

19. Finally this is out! And no it is not a compliment. Maybe if they had given her credit I wouldn't have been so harsh.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.