20GAYTeen the Rate: WINNER!! | Page 87 | The Popjustice Forum

20GAYTeen the Rate: WINNER!!

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by Trouble in Paradise, Dec 8, 2018.

?

What's your favorite album from the main artists of the rate?

1. Expectations by Hayley Kiyoko

15 vote(s)
    10.1%
  2. Bloom by Troye Sivan

13 vote(s)
    8.7%
  3. Palo Santo by Years & Years

16 vote(s)
    10.7%
  4. Language by MNEK

10 vote(s)
    6.7%
  5. O by Ssion

5 vote(s)
    3.4%
  6. Dirty Computer by Janelle Monae

60 vote(s)
    40.3%
  7. Chris by Christine & the Queens

15 vote(s)
    10.1%
  8. Oil of Every Pearl's Un-Insides

15 vote(s)
    10.1%
  1. You are my favorite person on here @Trouble in Paradise! This is truly heartwarming and totally takes away my frustration towards some people here doing this song (pop)injustice.

[​IMG]

2. As a bystander - I am appreciative of this dropping since it is one less obvious winner in the race! Surprise me at the top with a more experimental number, PopJustice!

3. I realise I might have come off as a bit pressed when it comes to Troye. I feel like I should state that I don't hate good ol' Troye Sivan, nor I want to diminish his impact on the young queers. My scores for each song were awarded to the song quality alone. I also gave Bloom (song) a 9 even if it doesn't appear on the high scores. I suppose my humor sometimes doesn't translate well.

My only gripe with Bloom (album) is that it's beige, unexciting and a step down from his great debut. Yes, it's been sold from the reviews as the new gay Bible. No, I'm not gonna tank it for that. The remaining tracks are, to me, far superior, so they deserve to last longer.

Hope this explanation is enough.

4. Dream on! That entire top 5 is going to be Janelle songs.

5. She has 3 songs left.

Edit: and Make Me Feel would be a worthy winner.

6. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

I see Janelle still has people distressed.

7. londonrain

londonrain Staff Member

What experimental songs are we talking about that aren’t Janelle’s?

8. Our queen/king Christine/Chris giving us this concept:

9. Make Me Feel, Girlfriend and Fast Slow Disco are my three faves left, but poor Annie won't reach the top5.

Trouble in Paradise likes this.
  10. Introducing our next cut is Maurice Sendak the beloved children's author of the classic Where the Wild Things Are. Sendak lived with his partner for over 50 years but lived semi-closeted for many years for his parents stating "All I wanted was to be straight so my parents could be happy. They never, never, never knew." Sendak was born to Polish-Jewish immigrant parents and faced the loss of many family members during the Holocaust, causing him to face mortality at a young age. Here's my favorite Maurice Sendak story:

A little boy sent me a charming card with a little drawing on it. I loved it. I answer all my children's letters – sometimes very hastily – but this one I lingered over. I sent him a card and I drew a picture of a Wild Thing on it. I wrote, 'Dear Jim: I loved your card.' Then I got a letter back from his mother and she said: 'Jim loved your card so much he ate it.' That to me was one of the highest compliments I've ever received. He didn't care that it was an original Maurice Sendak drawing or anything. He saw it, he loved it, he ate it

[​IMG]
    12. "Curious"
    By Hayley Kiyoko

Highest Scores: 10 x 15 (@Sanctuary @soratami @GimmeWork @dylanaber @londonrain @Blob @evilsin @inevitable @slaybellz @Posh Spears @ohnostalgia @Hurricane Drunk @Music Is Life @KingBruno @Remorque)
    9.8 x 1 (@Untouchable Ace) 9.5 x 1 (@Riiiiiiiii)
    Lowest Scores: 3 x 1 (@Reboot) 5 x 1 (@Untitled)
    My Score: 8

If you let him touch ya, touch ya, touch ya, touch ya, touch ya, touch ya (yeah)
    The way I used to, used to, used to, used to, used to, used to (yeah)
    Did you take him to the pier in Santa Monica?
    Forget to bring a jacket, wrap up in him cause you wanted to?
    I'm just curious, is it serious?
    I'm just curious, is it serious?

Yes, somehow Lesbian Jesus's Big Pop MomenT has failed to make the Top 10 and in a shocking twist the two lowest scorers are queer women! (Insert disclaimer that one's identity does not mean one has to like specific cultural touchstones. Add in personal narrative about lesbian best friend who hates Tegan and Sara.) I have to say that the back-to-back fall of "My My My!" and "Curious" shocked me as the results came into view. I assumed both were locks for the Top 10 with "Curious" being a contender for Top 5-at least- in my mind. However, the voters have spoken and Troye is out and Hayley is down to one! Will she be similarly shut out of the Top 10?

I find "Curious" to be a fun, pop bop that I gladly add into playlists-especially summer/bop focused ones- but it's not in my Hayley Top 5 and I simply don't connect with the lyrical story even if I can appreciate it. Hayley has spoken about the influence of this song as it is connected to multiples songs on her album (and in this rate). She broke the song down lyrically for Genius saying:

I have hung out with a lot of girls that like to play games. There was a girl in particular that I was involved with that really liked to push my buttons. And there were a lot instances in the lyrics like, “You think of me, I’m what you see when you look at the sky.” Or like being with her boyfriend and texting me at the same time. And a lot of instances where I’m like, “I don’t really want to get wrapped up in this situation. I just want to know—like I am just curious, is it serious? What’s going on? Are you having genuine feelings for me? Is this serious? Also, I don’t really want to get involved in whatever this is.” Because I know who I am, so I’m like, “What’s going on?”
    I've definitely experienced the uneasy blurring of lines between friendship and attraction, especially at a younger age as both myself and my friends were coming to terms with our sexuality. It is HARD and very often MESSY. I loved that Kiyoko singled out that moment as her favorite in her lyrical breakdown explaining:

Favorite line. To me, it’s the concept of are you literally doing everything you did with me, with another person? Are you pretending to be cold like you did with me, on the pier? Like I feel like I can’t trust you because it’s like I don’t really know where your emotions are and how you are feeling. This song can relate to anyone’s situation, but specifically for me, it is more of just, “I don’t know who you like, what you like, and I don’t know what’s happening. Are you cuddling with me, the same way you are cuddling with him? What’s going on? Did you go to the same spot?”

I’m from California, and Santa Monica is a classic date spot. I do have very specific lines, personally, in this song, but for this one, I’ve been to Santa Monica so many times on dates, and it’s just like, “Alright, are you going to Santa Monica?” I feel like everyone has been on a date to Santa Monica. It’s like, “Let’s go and play the arcades. Let’s watch the sunset.
    I mean her delivery there is A+ Gay Pop Catnip and I love the personal spin she puts on the lyrics. It reminds me of Old Taylor in the way she takes a very universal feelings and makes it feel like a diary entry by including some specific lines and moments but not locking the listener out of putting themselves in the role of the narrator.

Now in the words of my Forum Sage @ohnostalgia:
    As she told Rolling Stone, “Normally I will date women who haven’t dated women before because I like a challenge. I need to stop the madness because here I am single.” I assume she said this very tongue in cheek, but at the same time I know many of the songs on Expectations are written from personal experience and involve this type of romance. After my first relationship, I swore off dating someone who was in the closet (only to end up dating someone who was in the closet again). Queer relationships are already a lot of work and the closet just makes it harder.

Okay, I have more to say and more to share about Hayley but this write up is already way too long for y'all to read the whole thing so let me just throw your commentary out and call it a day!

Posh Spears This is genius. Hooks on hooks, cute lyrics, and so much fun. Hayley really is everything we could want from a queer popstar huh?

Reboot I know I am supposed to love this song, but I really hate it. The chorus is … not good. I don’t like the quick-fire of lyrics. Literally every song on her album is better.

Pop3blow2 This song is a complete bop. Gives me CRJ Boy Problems vibes (& that’s a fave of mine.) (ed note: my favorite CRJ song is "Your Type")

The Hot Rock Preferred the verses to the chorus on this one.

Kalonite The chorus here is fun, but the verses feel pretty basic in comparison.

Untouchable Ace The male video's pretty good too.

Yuuurei And we go from one of my faves to one of my least favorite tracks on the album, it just doesn't have the same depth and finesse as most of the others and the lyrics are a little "eh".

Music is Life I was not ready for this bop. Love the video, her dance moves were everything. Love the lyrics as well, but can't connect. The tongue twister of a chorus is amazing.

Untitled rhyming curious with serious, really sis? the whole thing is weirdly flat and exhausting production-wise and her vocals don't help.

Slaybellz A total bop. Kinda reminded me of “Work” by Fifth Harmony when it came out. If there was any popjustice this would have been her breakthrough hit. I also really love the music video, definitely elevates the song.

Remorque I fucking love this song. An early favourite from the album and the production's lit. ALSO: DidyoutakehimtothepierinSantaMonicaforgettobringyourjacketwrapupnhimcauseyouwantedtah's kind of a moment, innit.

Ufint C’mon, Rita Ora!

Gimmework This was a contender for my 11. One of the most perfect pop songs not only of 2018 but of this decade for me!

11. Okay, now this one hurts a lot.
    The DidyoutakehimtothepierinSantaMonicaforgettobringyourjacketwrapupnhimcauseyouwantedtah part alone deserves a Top10 placement.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2019
  12. londonrain

londonrain Staff Member

Okay, what the FUCK?

This was the discovery of the rate for me and I have absolutely hammered it since then.

If Cherry also misses the top ten I will riot.

13. Jesus Christ ya'll?!?! This is a disaster! And Years & Years are still in? Make it make sense!

soratami, evilsin, vague and 4 others like this.
  14. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

Add in narrative about how you need to drop your best friend.

15. Both deserved Top 5 in my opinion. The only thing that could make these top 15 results any worse is if we lost "Cherry" or either of Christine's songs before the top 10.

Also I find "Feelings" overrated within her discography. It's far from being my favourite song of hers.

I love this song but god this mentally annoys the hell out of me. Especially because it stems from this whole idea of "turning" women, aka bi erasure. I'm also in the camp that's waiting for her to write a song about a love triangle between three women for once.

16. londonrain

londonrain Staff Member

That cover makes me want to investigate this Marian Hill remix now.

Trouble in Paradise and vague like this.
  17. I was convinced this would have been in the top10.

(also @Trouble in Paradise I don't want to look like I'm complaining but I'm pretty sure I gave it a 10)

18. What the actual fuck people? My My My! and Curious?

19. You did! Sorry we’re at the point of many 10’s so I assume this will happen again haha

londonrain and Verandi like this.
  20. [​IMG]
    How dare some of you stop Troye from being top 10. Especially when 'Bloom' missed the top 20.

Since i'm a forgettable queen lately, here is my commentary for 'My My My'

Troye Sivan “My My My!” 10 This was so excoitement when it burst out. His Madonna moment.
    Also this was 1 of the many songs contention for my 11.

Here is the male video for 'Curious' which should be seen.
    Curious is also a baffling elimination at this stage.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.