2KPOP16: SOTY Rate (THE FINAL: ~*WINNER*~) | Page 33 | The Popjustice Forum

2KPOP16: SOTY Rate (THE FINAL: ~*WINNER*~)

Discussion in 'K-pop' started by Squashua, Dec 4, 2016.

1. There's no male performer in Top 30? WOW. So little taste...

Squashua likes this.

2. I'm jealous @Squashua gets to be dress-falling-apart Momo.

@junglefish doesn't know how to handle his gun it seems.

Squashua and GeiPanda like this.
  3. [​IMG]
    xx

Mikl C, ajmkv, Squashua and 3 others like this.

4. LET'S KEEP ROLLING THROUGH

ONE OF YOU MENTIONED THIS SONG

[​IMG]

30th

[​IMG]

PRODUCE 101 - IN THE SAME PLACE
    Avg: 7.58 (more 10s)

10s - @ThighHighs @Reboot @D is for Danger! @ajmkv @Mikl C
    3 - @Salami @Laurence Nope
    My Score: 8

ONE TV SHOW

ONE HUNDRED AND ONE
    Dalmatians GORLS
    Except that one that got carted off to hospital

SCATHING POPULARITY CONTEST WEEKLY VOTING

A ONE YEAR RECORDING DEAL TO BE IN A GIRLBAND THAT MAY OR MAY NOT GIVE YOU ANY ACTUAL LINES / SCREENTIME

A MESS OF ESSENTIAL TV PROPORTIONS

[​IMG]

Where would 2016 be if it wasn't for the hilarious, shady, pinnacle of trash clusterfuck that was P101? How many girlbands would have never been allowed the budget they got, nay even the chance to debut, if not for turning 2NE1's Fire into a spoken word performance art masterpiece? Would any of us lessers even remember Into the New World if the Serpent Kween hadn't blessed us with her vocal machinations?

[​IMG]

But this is not a time to muse on the series as a whole - we have the ban-ready madness inducing but still iconique P101 rate for that. This is the time to talk about a song that set alight the hearts of a nation, a song that I struggle to remember sometimes because of THAT FACE:

[​IMG]

THERE ARE TEARS IN HER EYES AND IN MY SOUL.

In the Same Place came about in the penultimate round of the competition - the 35 girls, 5 concepts stage - and was the point where the stream I was watching stopped providing subtitles and I couldn't bear to miss out on all the brutal passive aggressiveness that the girls evoked in their team deliberations. I have since gone back to it and there's no question that In The Same Place was destined for greatness.

Why?

SEVEN REASONS

1)
    Doyeon's face. D'uh, we've been through this. It still haunts my dreams like a beautiful ghost. Also the fact she stands about a foot taller than all the other midgets on her team - literal Supermodel of the World.

[​IMG]

RESULT: She made it into I.O.I, with a notable bump in votes, looked fierce constantly and has a modelling contract. When will ANTM winners?

2)
    The consistently underappreciated by Korea vocal acrobatics of YeunJeung. They tried to ignore her in the edit - she decimated even Taeyeon with her Into the New World adlibs. They wanted her to look like a stropbag in the Positions round - she scalped supposed "solo vocalist" @D is for Danger! 's fave linebacker for the Cleveland Browns Kim Juna during Day By Day. They tried it and still she would not back down. YeonJeong, you of the million ways of spelling your name, we salute you.

[​IMG]
    RESULT: She continues to sl*y with WJSN and largely go ignored by the pressed Korean populace, what did you think would happen?

3)
    The squeaky voiced passive-aggressive empress of looking like a Mouse Han Hyeri. Whilst Doyo had face and YeoJeo had pipes, Han Hy had the innate charm to pull off the cuter stylings of the song. She's waving to crowd, blowing kisses, they love her (but potentially only because she threatened to cut each and every one of them backstage). That's what they call charisma in the biz.

[​IMG]
    RESULT: The cheek of the nation ranking her 12th. The Hanpocalypse has begun, blame yourselves mankind...

4)
    The Produce101 Mastermind posing as a Goof Sohye. When will anyone else troll through a whole performance competition with seemingly no talent, next to no lines yet, taking out 90+ girls who've trained practically all their lives for this? And the best part? SHE KNEW. She was in on it - she played the fickle Koreans at their own game. #SohyeforPresident

[​IMG]
    RESULT: Successful business woman - she's got her own entertainment company, acting gigs, a cafe, variety show presenting, able to do the splits on a moment's notice... Who said you needed to sing or dance competently to be a Suce$$?

5)
    The song, written by B1A4's Jin-Young, latched on to the public consciousness because it's a genuinely lovely number. The staging was perfect, the dance was easy enough that all the lovelorn unnies of Seoul could learn it without having to watch an infinite number of youtube tutorials - I mean it sold a bucket and hit the top ten. When will any of our faves? The group worked really well together without the bigger names like Somi / Sejeong / Chungha / Yoojung e.t.c. and on that point did I mention Somi's Yum Yum tragi-comedy lost to this by the smallest of margins? HA. Take that JYP...

[​IMG]

6)
    Everyone's reactions. They are SHOOK.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7)
    Oh and the other three gals. They were good too I guess..

[​IMG]
    I actually think Sira was amazing throughout but what do I know? Poor lass.

Are we ready for some en-masse discussion in anticipation for BoA's Penus Edition of I.O.I coming soon? Ajmkv thinks they have a lot to live up to: "Is this the best thing to come out of Produce 101, including I.O.I??"

[​IMG]
    YES"

Sadly unnie, not everyone has the same feelings. GeiPanda got that fondue set at the ready: "It's ok but a bit of a cheesefest." whereas Ryan_Riot went in harder than Demi Lovato is confident: "I’m not here for this GFRIEND clone sound. The sound is what’s hot right now, I get it (not really) but do something different. Of all the Produce 101 tracks to choose from, this one made it? “Fingertips” and “Yum Yum” were 10x better."

TRIGGERED

Please someone rid me of those Salmon night terrors. Reboot? "Beautiful". It does have that on its side. Capitan just about managed to google some names before writing this up: "This is probably the best song to come out of P101. The chorus is really pretty and Yejeong (sp?) sounds beautiful on it. Bless Sohye for running out of breath halfway her single line of the song. She will forever be the best sassy girl to come out of P101." Completely in the same place critically is D is for Danger!: "The best song to come out of PD101. With this, Yeonjung, Doyeon and Sohye guaranteed their places in IOI. Yeonjung's high notes at the end are goosebump inducing. Chanmi could never!"

[​IMG]
    Never gets old

In the final throes of the cherry blossom season, Slice of B1Ahjumma4 was ready & waiting: "This was actually the song that made me take Produce 101 seriously. I didn't follow the show but when I heard that my boy Jinyoung was gonna be a guest and give the girls a song, I was of course perched. And Jinyoungie didn't fail me. And the song is also brilliantly sung by the girls. A true "TALENT ALWAYS WINS" case. The performance still gives me all the goosies. Kii." Equally filled with that gooey sentimental stuff is ThighHighs: "The emotional climax of the entire season of Produce 101. A song like this could have been a treacly mess, but the performances (Yeonjung and Sira) and charms (Sohye and Hyeri) elevated it to greatness."

SOME ARE BORN GREAT
    SOME ACHIEVE GREATNESS

SOME HAVE GREATNESS THRUST UPON THEM

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 1, 2017
  5. This is not my comment, sis. I don't even know who Sohye is.

Capitan likes this.
  6. In The Same Place is probably the best thing to have come out of the entire show, second only to Into The New World. I'm surprised it didn't do better, but then again the order of songs leaving is questionable.

ajmkv and Squashua like this.
  7. Oops, it's @Capitan's. Lemme just change that...

[​IMG]

ajmkv, Capitan and Slice of Life like this.
  8. [​IMG]

9. Best thing about In The Same Place to be honest.

He, ajmkv, McQueer and 3 others like this.

10. Y'ALL ARE MYSTIC MEG I SWEAR

[​IMG]

Pioneer of that power Bob-Cut, Eunha just stole ha stylist clearly.

THIS SONG ALSO GOT A SHOUTOUT

[​IMG]
    (<3 @GeiPanda )

29th

[​IMG]

SEOYURI - SECRET
    Avg: 7.60

10s - @Aries @ryan_riot92 @Vesperly @Mikl C @ajmkv
    2 - @Reboot
    My Score: 9

I'm cackling @ how a song made solely for less than a minute SHAMPOO COMMERCIALS with one of the more nondescript members of Girls Generation managed to sneak its way into the Top 30. Get that glorious conditioned won ladies.

But real talk - Advertising is a money maker in a world full of Idol poverty. Do you want to see what became of all the budget they threw at this song?

"MIRICAL MIRICAL... MIRICAL"

SCREAM.

The Party MV shade (nothing sells a single like frazzled hair)!
    The fact they didn't even use any of the MV! #
    The dubbing!
    The pause between "IT FEH SO SAFT...." ... "...WHEN I TOUCH IT"!
    Seohyunnie whipping that blade of a ponytail more than a drag race contestant lipsynching for ha life!
    Poor Yuri practically getting written out of the Chinese ver.

It's the MIRICAL MIRICAL MIRICAL that keeps on giving.

[​IMG]

But dddd, I digress because this is a certified 90's/early 00's bass-heavy house monster that'll break your neck from being so violently shook. Sure it's basic beyond belief, sure it's a bopcorn blockbuster that's somewhat throwaway once it's finished but my Shaman Unnie does it do it with aplomb. The white and black retro-future upper class environs, the whispering lulling you into a false sense of security (work your vocal range Yuri!) before it explodes into that elastic, forceful breakdown. It keeps coming at you, pulsating, literally throbbing (n n n) for you to let your hair down and whip that shiz through the air like a scythe.

[​IMG]

And whilst we're speaking about hair, if the mission was to make me condition and shampoo the heck out of my mane and make all the binches waiting at Dr Kim's Gangnam clinic jealous then mission succeeded.

#SIRENSOFSLO-MO

[​IMG]

Let Yuri have her moment guys, it's the only chance SM are only going to give her to come out of the dungeon. Just enjoy the ride and keep it between us Sassy gals yeah?

[​IMG]

Do you wanna know the main reason this is still in contention? Thank the Pantene brand ambassador Alouder98 who, underneath his luscious locks, hides the brain of an evil genius: "I laugh every time I remember this makes to the final list. I feel a bit responsible for it . Cause when I was sending my list, I had 14 songs and I needed two songs from two other artists, and I was unfamiliar with most of K-Pop artists. So I chose this one and Mystery and I thought " Okay nobody vote for these , let's just use them for fillers ". Now this Shampoo bop is here and some of your faves are not. Only Queens!"

@Alouder98 be stood watching the rate chaos like:
    [​IMG]

Some of you did help mind and saw what a tune this track can be at the right volume, with the correct hair treatment regime. Robinho#1 swears by passed down family secrets: "Forgotten bop" whereas McQueer finds comfort in the softer sounds: "This is a sexy and sleek little club banger so I get why a bunch of y'all are into it but honestly it's pretty mediocre. The chorus is weak and should've been introduced earlier. I like the whispering though, gives me ASMR tingles."

Oh if you're into ASMR,
    there's a whole K-Pop world waiting for you..

If we're talking about this "sub-unit" then Salami didn't get their first choice: "Should've been Sooyoung and Yuri but it worked anyway." I literally don't know which one is Sooyoung...
    D is for Danger! is a capitalist music consumer with only one lady on his mind: "Can advertisements passing as songs be a thing again?! AMOLED. Chocolate Love. A-bing A-bing. All amazing. I'm glad my fave SNSD member, Yuri, finally got a chance to shine. Bring on her solo next please!"

Who knew you & MRJKPOP were part of the same stan club:

Naturally with the Pantene endorsement, y'all ladies put your locks on show. I'm lowkey crying at GeiPanda's mantra: "I am my hair." and ThighHighs got that quick speed camera shutter ready for the Insta-story: "Their hair looks amazing in this video, so I guess Pantene is getting their money’s worth. As someone who loves slow-motion hair flips, I also get my money’s worth." Won to get a 10/10? This is how you win Ajmkv's favour:
    "DAT. HAIR. FLIP.
    [​IMG]
    10/10 GIRLS. YOU DID THIS. GOOD JOB."

Once more, with feeling
    [​IMG]

Unlike everyone else, Reboot got ha commercials mixed up: "Nice dresses, I guess." This ain't no ForeverMaknae advertisement sis. Slice of Perms is gonna see haself get a bad haircut if the slander continues: "Great hairflips, beautiful hairflips. I seriously don't get why y'all gagging over this Euro trash. And why is it unbearably long? They could cut a whole minute from it and I wouldn't mind. NEXT!"

[​IMG]
    @ you

It's not about the brands cystren, Ryan_Riot is all about the look: "Pantene? Loreal? Garnier? Who gives a crap, the song is phenomenal! Probably the best SM Station track period (along with “All Mine”)… When this song plays, it makes you wanna put in them extensions and whip your hair back and forth. You know, like Jessica does in the IGAB MV." I can't find a GIF to clarify this but my word were their some hair choices made in that video...

"My hairspiration for this look was pre-teen Cascada fangirl"
    [​IMG]
    "I needed a MIRICAL MIRICAL MIRICAL"

He, ajmkv, ryan_riot92 and 5 others like this.
  11. [​IMG]

Everything is right in the world again!

ajmkv, McQueer, Capitan and 3 others like this.
  12. My roommates are still sleeping but I am screaming at this commercial:
    "Last year I colored ma hurr 8 times... ma hurr got so dry..." followed by that shady-ass screengrab of Party!

Last edited: Mar 1, 2017
    Slice of Life, ajmkv, McQueer and 4 others like this.
  13. How dare you mention me in the same sentence as that underage-girl-flirting, lip-biting, Yoona-vocal-run stanning MRJKPOP!!!

ryan_riot92, Mikl C, Vesperly and 2 others like this.
  14. Is MRJKPOP still in hiding?

Squashua likes this.
  15. Yes. It's probably for the best. His taste was questionable.

Vesperly likes this.
  16. I'd like to take this opportunity to point out that Yeonjung participated in (i.e. sang most of) at least 4 tracks that made Top 60, while Juna Kim has zero.

[​IMG]

Mikl C, ajmkv, Squashua and 2 others like this.
  17. Secret is quite shit. I was also expecting a lot of cute moments between the girls, but the video was kinda tame and disappointing in that department. Next!

Slice of Life and McQueer like this.
  18. "Secret" is a bop and a half ... Also:

[​IMG]

Mikl C, Slice of Life, Salami and 5 others like this.
  19. I'm in tears! How did never notice this?!

20. I literally COULD NOT believe that commercial was real. I genuinely thought it was a running joke that the song would ironically be perfect for a shampoo commerical. I lost my shit when I scrolled down to learn that the video wasn't a poorly dubbed spoof with a bunch of random scenes from the video thrown together in slow motion ... I literally cannot but I'm also kind of living for it... Secret has literally just become a 3 minute miracle to me.

Squashua likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.