2KPOP16: SOTY Rate (THE FINAL: ~*WINNER*~) | Page 34 | The Popjustice Forum

2KPOP16: SOTY Rate (THE FINAL: ~*WINNER*~)

Discussion in 'K-pop' started by Squashua, Dec 4, 2016.

1. FINALLY.

Also I'm screaming at the Hello Venus video !!!

Slice of Life and Squashua like this.
  2. Y'all binches making me cackle OUT LOUD in class. You did that.

3. Teebs that whole side was a mess during that part.

ajmkv likes this.
  4. Jessica, ha impact
    [​IMG]

5. Is Tiffany having some sort of fit?

6. Isn't that from rehearsal?

7. It is. The whole thing is iconic tbh, and I genuinely don't mean this as shade or anything like that.

Squashua and Salami like this.
  8. Sooyoung with the blanket at the end!!! *dead*

9. YOU SAY:

[​IMG]

AND I SAY:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

28th

[​IMG]

EXID - CREAM
    Avg: 7.63

10 - @Deja-Boo
    5 - @Robinho#1 @Vesperly @Lego
    My Score: 8

Is that the first song not to score less than 5 I spy? We made it kids T.T. Things are getting tough up in here and we've just gone and lost one of the last Album Tracks in the race (well kinda) which means a huge well done to the band formerly known as Wonder Girls for having the official PJK best AT of 2016.

# TALENT ALWAYS WINS

[​IMG]

Moving swiftly on to the worthy runner-up, have you noticed how much pop music talks about love? Since the dawn of time it's been the number one topic of discussion for those crafting a melody, for those composing magic from their conductor fingertips. With such a historic canon of lustful, loving tunes behind you, you have to get creative.

Remember how KARA evoked the shoulder-flashing femme fatales of Greek Mythology for their love musings in the riotous Pandora?
    [​IMG]

Recall when f(x) turned to the brutality of science and defibrillator pads in the Benjamin Franklin co-write Electric Shock?
    [​IMG]

Heck, can you recollect the moment Dal*Shabet donned playing card latex outfits, got stalked by the Korean Heath Ledger and turned poker into Poke-Ha with your joh-kuh ?
    [​IMG]

Well EXID have taken all of that to the next step and decided that love is more akin to guzzling up every white creamy confection you can find until you're fat, tired and riddled with diabetes.

I LUB DIS KWEAM KWEAM KWEAM

[​IMG]

YOU RUIN MAH BODY, YOU RUIN MAH BODYYYY

[​IMG]

Get your minds out of the Gangnam sewers heathens, this totally isn't about anything like that. Despite what you think, we all know that this is completely 100% to do with a love/hate relationship with that luscious dessert fan favourite ice cream - right?

RIGHT?!?

SCREAM AGAIN
    That Junghwa cream splash assume-the-position though...

[​IMG]

Korean commercials are the gifts that keep on keepin' on in this thread at the moment. Okay I really can't excuse how iconic-ly bizarre the lyrics to Cream are but I can empathise as a child fatty and lover of all foods. The song is a massive 90's piano house banger taking us from almost UK early garage opening verses to that straight up Ministry of Sound creamy substance fixated chorus and the sax climax that, for once, doesn't feel like brass overkill. It's very clever, it's whip-smart boppery and I think we're all thankful that it got a chance to shine as a Chinese single WITH video.

But that video.... Geez. What even was going on? My own personal reach of a narrative is that each member represents a different sin all tied together with the Devil's own creation, Cake. So:

Hani, on her ice-block food photography gig, would be a kind of Pride or Vanity,
    Junghwa with her boyfriend amongst the wolf statues would be a kind of Lust (which she succumbs to),
    LE is a sloth chilling in her vault eating rotten cake for eternity,
    Solji with her devil horn chair is something akin to Wrath because she probably planned it all
    Hyerin, personal fave, get co-erced into being a big ol' glutton (as would we all if we were presented with such a spread) but is such an angel. notice the white wing chair, that she doesn't give in & runs off:

[​IMG]

That's the only way I can make sense of it. I have no idea if Chinese audiences have a different idea but who cares when the song knocks? Yes I underscored this with an 8 to be honest.

LET THEM EAT CREAM

[​IMG]

WHO IS READY FOR THE DESSERT MENU?

[​IMG]

I can come back in 5 minutes unnies, Deja-Boo has to get ha hair ready: "Snatch me girls, my scalp is ready to be ruined."

Ruined scalp? Your hair mus be so dry...

You need a MIRICAL
    [​IMG]

The subject on everyone's lips was that good ol' EXID Cream recipe mmm mmm. What's good Vesperly - no room for sweet things? "The instrumental is great, but those lyrics..." ThighHighs is lactose intolerant but won't turn down sax: "Does the cream metaphor work? Not really. Does the song work as a whole. You’re goddamn right it does. It builds up so organically, and when the saxophone kicks in at the end, the whole thing really goes off. God bless these girls...". Reboot just about cracks the code: "I’m assuming this song isn’t about whipped cream. Is it? I don’t think it is." You're a sleuth my dear. Taking Cream to a whole new level of milking is McQueer: "I've read that [redacted] is actually good for your skin but maybe I was wrong? Anyway, I love this cream too girls."

DON'T WE ALL...
    [​IMG]

Wait we can't have dessert before the main course! Who's ordering in the takeaway? Robinho#1 has the number for the local: "Chinese version is superior." and GeiPanda sees this cuisine as a gateway to creamier tastes: "The Chinese version made me appreciate this better." Don't worry guys, it'll be here soon. I mean Ajmkv always delivers: "Two gifs to express my love for this song:
    Me listening to it:
    [​IMG]
    Me reacting to Hyerin being the ABSOLUTE BEST:
    [​IMG]
    That's all."

Slice of Health Inspections is calling out the officials on this dessert selection: "I still have no idea what's happening in this music video but I like what I see... well except that scene where LE is eating that cockroach-infested slice of cake. Yuck. But the song is cute and the way they say cream is winning me over. Additional 1 point for that Open Your Bum Hole move. Kii."

RUINING BUM HOLES BODIES SINCE 2016
    [​IMG]

Sometimes it's good to taste new sensations. Who knew Salami + Cream would work so well? "Hadn't heard this before the rate so I'm glad you all introduced it to me. Not a huge fan of this group and would never invest in one of their albums but this has me questioning that." Head Chef Ryan_Riot demands the menu rejig first: "So why was this not the lead single? Like I really wanna know … WHAT made them think “L.I.E” was better than this? Hell “Are You Hungry?” was better than “L.I.E” …"

A MOMENT'S SILENCE FOR JUNG-HYER'S LITTLE BOP THAT COULD

Finally I take it back McQueer, D is for Danger! has taken the lyric interpretation to a whole new level: "One of the best of the album tracks, along with Nyam Nyam Jeop Jeop. I love the acoustic guitar and the now iconic "boy you're like cream, you ruin my body" chorus. Clearly this is a song about a woman getting impregnated by the boy of her dreams, thus ruining her body with stretch marks among other more graphic things. Wait. It isn't?!"

EXID 6 MONTHS AFTER CREAM:

[​IMG]

10. UNDERRATED IS WHAT WE AIM FOR

[​IMG]

27th

[​IMG]

BERRY GOOD - DON'T BELIEVE
    Avg: 7.73

9.5 - @ajmkv
    5 - @Laurence Nope @Mikl C
    My Score: 9

I was factually incorrect before - THIS is probably the rate's true "little bop that could". It didn't outlast its much higher profile, HBIC spiritual-cystren Playing With Fire here (or on the GAON charts kii) but congratulations Berry Rookies for stealth sneaking your way through the competition to a respectable mid-table finish.

AND WITH NO TENS

[​IMG]

Not only was it the last remaining song with not a single perfect score, it was only one of two in the whole rate (the other being EXO - Monster). Look at it also not receiving anything less than a 5 too. True underrated (yet still middling) success.

But who are Berry Good?

[​IMG]

~* They debuted in 2014 with a very different line-up to now. Only 2 of the original members stand - maknae Gowoon and former Trot prodigy Taeha - with giraffe neck stunner Daye, AOA Yuna's younger sis Seoyul and Sehyung arriving for the Very Berry singles & visual kween Johyun joining just in time for Don't Believe.

[​IMG]

~~* The pun-tastic name has been carried forward into some arbitrary member code where each girl represents a type of berry. Poor Daye and Gowoon got the short end of the stick with the much less glamorous Yellow and Green berry respectively.

[​IMG]

~~~* Most people who already knew them, knew them because of Angel at the start of 2016. It's an almost classical take on pop and goes for the "self-esteem/empowerment" message in quite a dark way compared to the ultra cutesy of some girlbands. Here's a live performance where you can marvel at the hand bugel dance move and the yellowing school girl ensembles:

Taeha smashing those live vocals like it's the easiest thing in the world. Get it sis.

But now to An Middullae - a complete 270 towards the emerging trop-house that I don't anyone expected. From the spoken engrish introduction that makes little sense, the swirling mass of giant bowed corset jumpers and thigh tassels whips an unnaturally emotive storm of dancing through the tears, yelps and musings on a relationship gone awry. The vocal slow down into the immense breakdown is a thing of beauty and about 100000x better than how Blackpink sign off on Playing With Fire.

For the video a lack of budget was to be expected for a group from a small agency.

What do you do when you have no budget for male models?

GO SAPPHIC
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

There's plastic orchid eating, randomly filming each other, imaging a mannequin is your lesbian lover, strolling through violet hued dreamscapes on top of roofs. It's all a bit bizarre but absorbingly so. Kind of brave even, without feeling at all like controversy baiting. Very few girl groups touch on more adult themes with hints of complexity like this so props to them for conjuring up an LGBT ugly cry anthem for us all.

[​IMG]

We haven't even talked choreo yet have we? Don't Believe allowed the girls to really whip out their performance skills in a big bop kind of way...

The fan-chants even sound surprised by how good this is. That's the thing, it's a song far surpassing what a girlband of this tier would normally release. It's clearly hitting Western trends but with a pinch of K-Pop kook and the general viewing public seems a bit taken aback by it all. The fashion is bonkers but still on-point, the dancing isn't too sexualised by just wild enough to keep up with the GFriend trend for harder-hitting moves. It's kind of a masterclass of how to win over people who have no idea who you are. I mean they still don't have a clue in the grander scheme but we certainly got them on their radar.

BERRY GOOD? BERRY WELL DONE

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

If you found the above a bit wordy then never fear - the Berry Bunch of KPJ are here to summarise. Ajmkv practically my own experience for his own: "Who was checking for Berry Good before this absolute jam? (OK, some of you were but I definitely wasn't here for them.) After this, though, consider me converted. This was honestly quite the surprise and I enjoyed this very much, from the video to dat song. More please!"

Here's to a Berry Filled 2017
    [​IMG]

Despite offering up a high score, Vesperly got issues ladies: "I don't understand the purpose of Obligatory Awkward English Intros. Liar Liar has one too, but this one goes on a bit."

IT'S FOR THE DRAMA
    [​IMG]

If you weren't convinced yet, let ThighHighs serve up a stan smoothie: "This song really has just about everything that makes kpop so much fun. The melody is infectious, the English is hilariously and adorably overdramatic, and the video features fashions never before seen in any sensible society. What’s not to like?" Exactly! Slice of Style Guru has got that finger snap prepared for this: "A true nugu masterpiece! The girls did that! I also love that this is Makestar-funded. Kudos to their company for actually making that money go to good use. The song is absolutely killer. The music video is a Digipedi-aping opus. And their costumes.... YATH!!! Tassels for days! I hope their next release is as amazing as this."

TASSELS, TASSELS EVERYWHERE
    [​IMG]

It's really heartwarming to see such an coming together of positives for the BGood. Recognising Korea's recurring atrocious taste is Robinho#1: "Sadly the Korean public paid them dust. Their mini album was a solid effort and single was on trend." and D is for Danger! smacks down just about everyone for their poor life choices: "They managed to deliver a better tropical-house song than Beige Pink could ever dream of. Too bad it flopped because they aren't from YG. The spoken Engrish intro was questionable, but the rest of the track was glorious. I hope Berry Good continue on this upward trend of improved releases following the equally amazing Angel (y'all suck for not having it make the final). Newest addition Johyun is already getting that promo thanks to her sexy visuals. One can only pray she becomes the next Seolhyun."

Here's where this concept could go, modelled by Johyunnie:
    [​IMG]

Predicting big things for the Berry troupe is Ryan_Riot: "Berry Good are really one the road to becoming quite amazing. I mean I liked them back when they debuted but then they kind of sank. The new sound that came from them this year makes me think they’ll be Top Flop Contenders in no time!" Top Flops is what we live. GeiPanda went foraging and struck the juiciest of fruits in the orchard of bops: "What kind of undiscovered emotional bop? So so good. Shame the Korean public isn't in the buying mood for dancey ballads ala After School's "Because Of You" 2009. I'm guessing this missed the cutoff point for the Underrated Queens rate; if it didn't, shame on us!"

IT DID MISS THE CUTOFF ALAS
    BUT THERE'S ALWAYS SERIES 2

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 2, 2017
  11. Top scorer for that song? I guess it's true, I am the real recognizer of talent.

12. The last 3 eliminations have all wounded me, but I suppose just about every cut from here on out is going to be brutal, so I'm not shocked.

ajmkv and Squashua like this.
  13. My mild dyslexia made me read this as fatty child lover.

[​IMG]

14. I hadn't heard Berry Good's Don't Believe before this, full on love it now. Can I change my 6 to an 8?

15. Before the rate or before it was eliminated?
    [​IMG]

Squashua and ajmkv like this.
  16. Before the rate, completely passed me by. I think it was the name Berry Good, just put me off.

junglefish likes this.
  17. I love the name because it makes me think of Aunt Sandie.

18. I was about to pop off at you for rating a song that you hadn't even heard, before you posted that reply ^^^. I even had several terrible puns ready ("I Don't Believe™ it", "Berry Bad boy", etc). But alas, I'm in the same boat as you... think I gave it a 9 though. It is indeed a strong contender for Underrated Queens Rate II: The Revenge.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2017

19. Well boo I mean:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

e.t.c

BACK TO BUSINESS
    THE GIF IN THE LAST INTRO WASN'T RANDOM

26th

[​IMG]

OH! MY GIRL - LIAR LIAR
    Avg: 7.75

10 - @Slice of Life @McQueer @Vesperly @Reboot @D is for Danger!
    4 - @Aries @Robinho#1 @Lego
    My Score: 9

The next elimination is our first proper chance to compare stats between y'all fickle unnies' opinions. Liar Liar is a former Underrated Queens competitor, here falling before the 1/4 of the century mark, & the big first of THREE 2016 comebacks for the Mega Rookies Oh My Girl. HILARIOUSLY, this also came #26 in that vote (albeit with an 8.58 average) so well done queens of consistency (boo everyone marking them down, myself included). 2016 was just that strong a year that even fan faves will fall.

If you really like, you can visit the incredibly extra post from that rate right HURR

[​IMG]

You might also notice that i've knocked it down a point to 9/10 since that time in the midst of Q3 2016. Why? Well honestly I love Oh My Girl, I also love Liar Liar but just a little less than I used to. When stacked up against its competitors it's hard to ignore that the biggest strength is also the ultimate weakness.

SHEER LUNACY
    [​IMG]

From the Digipedi Lolita dollhouse aesthetic you'd be forgiven for thinking we were in for a Cupid re-run (which isn't a bad thing by any means but would have been a step back from Closer). Then the teaser dropped with the trippy, what-we-thought-was the opening verse instrumental only for it to be the outro enacting a kind of ominous template for the warioware Pandora's box derangement we were about to endure.

It's everything, all at once, double-slap style in your face without ever breaking a sweat. It's cut-a-binch passive aggressive hood rat masquerading as aeygo pre-teen cuteness. A bussy breaking wolf dressed in a bonnet and tea party dress.

[​IMG]

Who else comes at you with manic schoolgirl chanting, pep rally cheers and crayola box wheely shoes ensembles only to then mix it ass-clap worthy trap beats and bloody sirens flying off in the background announcing a national pandemic of boppery?

[​IMG]

And that's the beauty of Oh My Girl's career thus far, you've never quite sure what you're going to get when you rip back the glittery wrapping paper and unravel the ruby ribbons.

[​IMG]

I won't delve into Windy Day yet but a perfect example is Mimi's reggaeton verse out of nowhere inside a marijuana plantation during Listen to My Word. Who saw that coming? Who knows how many personas this multiple personality entity has at its disposal?

[​IMG]

Plus they are already consummate professionals live in a way many of the bigger tier girl-groups (who aren't GFriend) can only dream about:

Seunghee is such a screentime stealer I swear.

[​IMG]

On the flipside, Lunacy is a bit much for most people at the best of times and I completely get that this can be an exhausting thrill ride to dwell in for too long. Also Liar Liar has the misfortune to be in a Closer-Windy Day sandwich which are two of the best rookie girl-group songs of the last couple of years so I always find myself straying towards those instead. The pain of having a fave beating singles run I guess...

[​IMG]

Finally, Shout-out to one of my absolute favourite bit, asides from the fire clap-clap-clap beat in the second chorus:

Random ad-lib douchebag:
    "She's just a friend...."

[​IMG]

"LIAAAAARRR"
    [​IMG]

Divisive doesn't cover the commentary in the same way kitchen sink is an undersell of Liar Liar's approach to sensory overloading. Take these first two for example:

Reboot - "A triumph."

[​IMG]

Robinho#1 - "Noise."

[​IMG]

Duchesses of Division & Unrest
    [​IMG]

Torn in the middle of this immortal struggle between wholeheartedly bopping and getting caught up in the mess of it all are a number of you cherubs. GeiPanda now has the utensils to go with the cheese he was discussing earlier: "A bit grating on the ears, but I can appreciate the unique production on it." whereas
    Ajmkv is having a Yellow Wallpaper moment: "This has slowly crept up on me over the months, but I'm still not the biggest fan. It's just all right, but the video is quite excellent." Creeping, Creeping... CREEPING. Speaking of the culinary arts, when it comes to Salami, it's all about the texture: "Cutesy stuff is not my thing usually but this had enough bite that they got away with it. When's their Run Devil Run coming?"

HOPEFULLY never A LONG TIME FROM NOW?
    [​IMG]

Keeping your fashion choices as iconique as your songs is hard right? Not for OMG. Ryan_Riot need the fanclub merch shop to open asap: "Roller-skate shoes!! Who didn’t want to go out and but a pair of dem after this song came out. I don’t think this was the most solid release from them but it was still pretty great!" and OMG superstan Slice of Sensible Footwear is wheely living for this: "Honestly a 10 for the roller skate shoes alone. They did that! I'm still not quite sure what concept this song is. It's cutesy but not Apink cutesy. It's not sexy either. But one thing I'm sure is this is one of Oh My Girl's best. I'm so excited for their future. They will become top-tier. Koreans better stop sleeping on these girls soon or Imma call Shaman Unnie and ask her to kill them all."

KEEP ROLLIN' ROLLIN' ROLLIN'
    but not really because health & safety kids.
    [​IMG]

Unlocking the toy box and unleashing the real Tawp Madam, Mimi Islay, is a great way to wrap things up. ThighHighs notes the perfect contradiction: "This sing-songy masterpiece. Cute, but not saccharine. Peppy, but also a bit menacing. Mimi’s rap section stays elevating their songs." Vesperly can handle the chaos: "There's a lot going on in this song but it all ties together nicely, with this frantic yet adorable energy that really suits the lyrics. And oh how I love Mimi." and noted Mimi and OMG stan D is for Danger! gives this a glowing review - kazoo believe that? : "My favourite of their 2016 releases. It's cute, but still sassy! The song has a bit of an urban feel to it, for lack of a better description. It's also loud and noisy, but that's not a bad thing. Is that a kazoo I hear? Mimi kills her rap as usual. Your freedom is over indeed!"

I'M THE REAL BAD MADAM
    [​IMG]

Right now your playtime's are over too kids - back in the box with y'all!

[​IMG]

20. Sad to see an Oh My Girl song leave the rate, but it's my least favorite of their tracks so I'll live.

Squashua likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.