2KPOP16: SOTY Rate (THE FINAL: ~*WINNER*~) | Page 41 | The Popjustice Forum

2KPOP16: SOTY Rate (THE FINAL: ~*WINNER*~)

Discussion in 'K-pop' started by Squashua, Dec 4, 2016.

1. And I thought we were friends.

[​IMG]

2. To The Beautiful You is obviously gorgeous, but I'm not that sad about it going. I always preferred Why So Lonely.

ajmkv likes this.

3. SOME OF Y'ALL PITCHFORK WIELDERS
    WILL BE APPEASED

[​IMG]

BUT THE 80'S WILL BE UPSET AT THE BETRAYAL

[​IMG]

13th

[​IMG]
    Not this gif being as SHOOK as we all are by the song kii.

SUNNY GIRLS - TAXI
    Avg: 8.25 (more 10s)

10 - @Squashua @ThighHighs @Slice of Life @junglefish @Deja-Boo @Vesperly @D is for Danger!
    6 - @Aries @Salami @Laurence Nope @Reboot @Alouder98
    My Score: 10

THAT DIVISIVE SPLIT SCORING IS REAL

[​IMG]

I mean look at that almost half & half battleline drawn between the 6-ers and the 10s. Admittedly, who really cares because no scores under 6 means this has officially been certified as villain-less & unbothered. Did anyone really see a temporary group who did about three live performances and consisting of various new gen girl-band members, who weren't then that iconic, manage to hustle their way to unlucky number 13th?

TAKE ME AWAAAAAYYYY

Gosh, I thought "well this is weirdly high" whilst keeping scores but then 1 listen gets you hooked right back on the the ultra-mega nugu 80's train. I chose the above performance purely to appease @Vesperly 's love all things dark, shiny and loaded with glitter. You're welcome cyst <3

[​IMG]

Gosh there's just so much to love here, let alone when you factor in the element of surprise this represented to us all. Those postively diamond hard, diamond sparkling synths alongside one of the biggest hooks of the whole year - it's massive, it's retro, it's bubbly pop sugar rush goodness from the most unlikely of sources.

Honestly, I wouldn't have even bothered if I hadn't seen Eunha in the preview picture. This girl looks ferocious during all the Sunny Girls lives and i'm pretty sure we all lived for ha lead Heathers reawakening after a lifetime of schoolgirl concepts. Sure this was probably conjured up by Duble Sidekick to promote their very own Bae Suzy in the shape of Korean-American-Irish expat Nancy (the one with the red bow in the video) so it is AUDACIOUS how commanding Eunha is on the gig. She's practically morphing into the Taylor Swift of Korean Masterminds before our very eyes and letting dem hos know that she's not to be trifled with.

[​IMG]

Part of the fun of this group, and part of the reason why it works so well, is that all of these gals get to show off their particular skill-set to an absolute banger without being swamped by other members. Cheng Xiao gets to whip out a front flip and speak two lines of Engrish, Eunha gets to dominate the lines and the screentime and the close ups and the center without even trying, Yooa gets to be attention-seekingly aeygo without getting blasted off stage by Mimi or Seunghee's actual personalities, Nayeon gets to talk and roll around seductively on the floor and Nancy gets to grips with the harsh reality that just because you're the Lead Vocal doesn't mean anyone is actually listening to you.

WHATCHA GONNA DO? UHHH TAKE-A ME

[​IMG]

No but seriously i'll stop being so extra on them. They work together as if they've been a group since debut (and maybe should be an actual group for once a year bangers). The part at 2:50 in the performance where they all do movements from their actual group's most recent single (Cheng Xiao's Secret hands, Nayeon's Wonderland flapping) is a lovely touch and shows an appreciation for all these girls rather than chain-gang-ing them into being together.

Who knows if they hate each other's guts when they made such sweet music together.

[​IMG]

Who cares if it's not even the best new gen medley group of the year? See below:

Like what kind of dance visual super-group with actual rapper please get a better name and leave your lessors STAT?

There's no denying that this song is a pocket rocket, flash of perfect lightning out of nowhere and none of us got out of the blast zone quick enough to not be bopping. You could even argue it's benefited their actual bands' careers considering WJSN's continued success with I Wish (B Side: Tell Me Why [Cheng Xiao Solo]), Gu9udan's A Girl Like Me, GFriend blowing up all over again with Fingertip, Oh My Girl blowing stuff up literally on the set of their comeback and Momoland... well at least you tried Duble Sidekick...

[​IMG]

Do you need a cab cystren? Because who know what direction the rate is going in...

[​IMG]

Those without a boarding pass, please step to one side. That's Man of Many Words GeiPanda: "It's alright!" I appreciate the enthusiastic exclamation mark at least. Reboot, there's not enough room for you AND your opinion in this vehicle - health & safety and all that: "Slightly overrated."

WHOSE REIGN YOU CALLIN' SLIGHT UNNIE?
    [​IMG]

If he were to choose a side with his in-cab meal, Ryan_Riot would choose something more... mushy: "I love the idea of taking girls from different groups and mashing them together to make another one! They’ve done it in the past and it was great then too! Can we have more of these, please? The song is retro fabulous!" D is for Danger! is true to his name and warns y'all that mashed-together temp groups aren't all sweetness and sl*y: "I love these super group collaborations. They're usually a mixed bag, but this was an exceptional creation. I believe this is a Duble Sidekick production. He definitely hit it out the retro park! The electric guitar in this is amazing. The vocals work to each member's strengths, with the weaker ones getting the rapping duties. I'd love it if this unit get to promote again."

WHICH MEMBER YOU CALLIN' WEAK OPPA?
    [​IMG]

Not people coming for the new gen of girl-groups when GFriend, Oh My Girl, Cosmic Girls, Red Velvet & Twice still have songs left in the rate (okay baii @ Nugudan & Whotho?-land but still...)

Hey MISTAAAH MESS-Y

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Deja-Boo wants to go all Tekken on y'all girl-group stanners: "Better than anything these girls’ original groups put out. Fight me." and he certainly has back-up via Robinho#1 (even if I detect huge shade): "I want them to be an actual girl group so darn bad. That’s how dire the new generation are." Ouch. Ajmkv has gone way past arcade brawler into Mortal Kombat levels of FINISH HA!: "Can Sunny Girls please become a full-time group please? Sacrifice every other group for this! (OK just kidding but this was better than the majority of the releases of these girls' original groups, especially Gugudan...) Also, Kim Nayoung looks like she's in her 30s, is it just me?... Like, beautiful 30-something-year-old, but definitely sort of... matronly... *hides*"

Ok SUB-ZERO, COOL YOUR JETS ON POOR NAY-JUMMA
    [​IMG]

Did I mention Vesperly loved the fashion? Vesperly loved the fashion dahling: "Bring Back Sunny Girls. I'm still looking for clothes from their #glitterygoth performance of this." If you thought Slice of Uber Lifts had reached a pinnacle of stannery then aim a little higher unnie - we ain't there yet: "Duble Sidekick's greatest contribution to the world. I'm not kidding. This is superb. I still wonder how this magical song ended up on the laps of a TEMPORARY girl group. I mean, no shade to Sunny Girls because I love them to bits but really, why wasn't this given to a bigger group??? Why was this not given to Apink when they could've used a bop this awesome to save their tragic discography? Why wasn't this a fifteen-week number one single? So many questions with no answers. But bottom line is, this is still such a great song. The chorus is probably my most favourite. It's so effervescent. It's like, it's made of happy dreams and fun slumber parties and yummy cotton candy. It's sweet in the best possible way."

I WANT TO LIVE IN YOUR WORLD PLZ?
    [​IMG]

If the power of Sunny Girls wasn't apparent enough by now, here's ThighHighs to solve the global crisis with the help of MISTAH TAXI: "Eunha for President, Nayoung for Vice President (always the runner-up), YooA for Secretary of Education (kii), Cheng Xiao for Secretary of Defense, Nancy for Secretary of State. America sorted."

Y**SSSssss MA'AM
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 16, 2017
  4. I never got the hype for Taxi. Why are Korean girl groups so obsessed with taxis? Who are these girls? I just don't know.

Capitan and Dangerous Maknae like this.
  5. I haven't taken a taxi in SK, but they're pretty fancy in Japan. Like, doilies on the seats and drivers in uniforms and hats.

These cuts are getting worse and worse as we go along. Some of the remaining songs just baffle my mind.

6. Someone @me when SISTAR is out thank you.

ajmkv likes this.
  7. FACK OFF SISTAR MCKEEF

8. JUGEULLAE BEAST?

Squashua, Slice of Life and Deja-Boo like this.
  9. I'm catching up and this post

made me cackle out loud, thank you, sis. As a fellow new Taemin stan I feel terribly represented by it.

As for the results overall... y'all's taste is a big Choice.

10. ajmkv, Squashua and Slice of Life like this.
  11. Side note but I googled what this meant & i've been howling ever since...
    Think i'm going to start singing "JUGEULLAEEEE" instead of "An Mideullae" for Berry Good's Don't Believe now tbh...

ANYWAY,
    LOOK I'M A MERCIFUL HOST HONEST

I GUESS IT'S ABOUT TIME

[​IMG]
    (But specifically @junglefish & @Mikl C)

12th

[​IMG]

SISTAR - I LIKE THAT
    Avg: 8.28

10 - @Squashua @Capitan @Deja-Boo
    4 - @Reboot
    My Score: 10

[​IMG]

It was only a matter of time before the resounding death-knell of doom fell upon our, since the top 20, rate interloper I Like That. Honestly, I had no idea y'all would be coming for Hyolyn & the Others so badly around this point considering, for all the nay-saying and hollerin' about them, this song only got ONE score under 5 (the Moon Sailin' unnie Reboot). Very few other songs thus far can hold a candle to that level of upper quartile consistency but then, who else knows more about consistency than Korea's basic summer bop faves Sistar?

[​IMG]

We were a long long long loooong way from the good ol' Sistar days of the moody Alone or Brave Sound party dress banger with the fart waft dance So Cool. Sure Loving U was a nice switch of pace to something sweeter from them but then there was the shake-off-those-butt-pads sizzler of Touch My Body a couple summers later and the endless summer single streak began.

#FREESUMMERFROMSISTAR

[​IMG]

It was all just too much, officially. Shake It was terrible in all its messy Only Way is Essex gym pants couture, fake tans, and general reductiveness and i'd personally written Sistar off the Christmas card list for good. That was until the luscious, exotic carpet factory sapphic maidens teasers rolled in:

EXPENSIVE UPHOLSTERY

[​IMG]

But also with a hint of smut and that, in truth, is way more appealing than basic summers butt wiggling at this point. Needless to say I was back on board and I Like That didn't disappoint. Sure it's got a lot of Sistar staples - mainly Hyolyn hoovering up lines & screentime like a Korean Dyson - but there's so much to enjoy in it. The absolute highlight of it all though?

LET'S DAH-NCEE

Talk about stepping up your choreo game. There's more drapes than a Persian Harem, more curtains than a Battersea old folks home and just enough butt wiggling to keep the uncles on board without having to censor the whole shebang. It's slinky, seductive, sassy and actually well thought-out considering the concept.

And that concept, whilst arguably pilfering from every other Asian culture that isn't Korea, is glorious to see. I love it when groups with a big enough budget to pull out all the stops actually pull out all the stops, don't half arse it and give us a little spectacle with our morning coffees. It's essentially a really high class back alley concubine flat complex complete with all the caligraphy tattoos, orchids, falling petals and illusionist carpetry you could ever want from your Shanghai branch of IKEA.

DAVE - PLEASE REPORT TO THE LIGHTING SECTION
    [​IMG]

Look, it's a stormer don't deny it just because you can't stand seeing Hyolyn morph into the Korean Nicole Scherzinger. The random English accented butler voice, the fact it's constantly at about 300bpm from start to finish, the monstrously heavy bass, the adrenaline pumping ramp-up as an explosion gateways you to the chorus, the right level of terrible trumpet playing to not be annoying, the middle 8 narcissist's psalm of "i'm so fine i'm so fine - not a singer? *mumble mumble* don't touch me" [yes that was paraphrased]... There's so much goodness in here that I think it personally deserves its top 20 spot.

AND EVEN BORA'S miniscule RAP ISN'T SHIT

[​IMG]
    I'M LIKE T.T

Like that's a miracle deserving of a high score in itself.

SISTAR WIVES, BEGIN YOUR BOPPING
    [​IMG]

It's time to let this annual Unnies AGM begin. First port of order, it seems we have two of y'all in cahoots sat on that fence over in Sister #6's back garden. Reboot at least could comment on our moves from afar: "Cool choreo, but pretty bland otherwise" unlike Ajmkv who had to resort to hiring a blonde PA to get the point across: "[​IMG]"

There's so many of us now that we should probably do a roll-call. Salami, our most recent convert, would you holler first?: "Another song that I hated on first listen. Way too much Hyolyn (what's new but it's massively overkill here) and not enough Bora but her tiny bit steals it." I can always count on Comedy Wife ThighHighs to provide this little harem with some cackling. I mean i'm crying with the last two lines of ha comments: "A welcome change of pace from the last few singles they’ve released. Yes, Hyorin sings too much, but she’s my fave so I ain’t mad. The prostitution-ring video is amazing, as is the choreography. They better put those other undebuted trainees to work holding their curtains up."

EXPOSE STARSHIP'S TRAINING METHODS A TAD SIS
    [​IMG]
    GAME TIME: How many WGSN WSJN Cosmic Girls' members
    can YOU spot holding drapes?

I kinda love that most of the super positive comments can be summarised by a simple 'Thank fxxk it wasn't another summer single'. That's all Sistar needed to do to get Top 12 - when will your faves show such minimal effort for such high praise?

[​IMG]

Ryan_Riot will say grace to our Mother Unnie: "Thank Shaman Unnie that this wasn’t “Touch My Body Pt. 3”! It’s decent. I’m glad they tried to change it up (kind of) this time around but it’s really not my favorite of theirs. The visuals are very stunning but the track itself just does’t have a whole bunch of impact. The stage outfits were a mix of Stellar’s “Mask” and Dalshabet’s “Be Ambitious” … so you gotta give credit to SISTAR for taking from their flop competition."

NOT AS ICONIC AS "BE AMBITIOUS (BY PERVING AT MY LEGS)" THOUGH
    [​IMG]

Security Unnie GeiPanda is bringing a welcomed breach to our attention: "Love the choreo, and so so glad they broke away from their summer songs." whereas Leader of Health & Safety D is for Danger! has our good posture and clear lungs at his heart: "SISTAR finally broke free from their summer single slump. I love the bubble synths throughout the track as well as the bass during the chorus. Bora's rap is a little limp, but thankfully short enough that it doesn't really detract too much from the track. Hyorin and Soyou need to lay off the cigarettes. They've never sounded so raspy."

LIVE BACKSTAGE FOOTAGE OF SISTAR ON THEIR DOWNTIME:
    [​IMG]

Slice of Strict Authority is whipping us all into shape like a good Entertainment company dungeon-master: "Y'all gonna drag this right, amirite? NOT ON MY WATCH. I sincerely love this. I love that Sistar changed their summer music sound for this comeback. 2015's Shake It was fun but really basic and forgettable. I Like That managed to sound fresh while still keeping that signature Sistar attitude. And the choreography is just stunning. I like it when artists use props properly. Even Bora's rap/talk section is a win in my book. YATH SISTAR, YOU BETTER KEEP THIS UP!" And to repeat Slicey's comments but with words and the Caps Lock switched off is Deja-Boo: "Legendary, iconic, perfect. A fabulous return to form after the dreadful Shake It."

EURGH, SHAKE STOP IT...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 17, 2017
  12. I just don't 'get' Sistar. Never have. I want to, I really do, but they've yet to release a song that I really like.

(I do physically own a copy of So Cool for some reason, but its unfortunate size and shape means I have no space for it and have had to dump it underneath a pile of boy band merch.)

Squashua likes this.
  13. Thank fuck. But are TWO Ladies Code songs still in? Pity vote if anything. Theyre both sleek and nice but should've went out around 25.

14. I'm glad you said it.

ThighHighs likes this.
  15. Beige Velvet need to vacate the premises asap.

Mikl C likes this.
  16. I mean, Galaxy should have left about 10 places ago, but I'm thrilled that The Rain has made it this far, it's a great song.

Slice of Life likes this.
  17. My hopeful top 5 right now are in no particular order TT, Someone Like U, Sting, Free Somebody, and Secret.

Rough can leave. If anything left in this rate is beige, you've got the definition right there.

Squashua likes this.
  18. You're beige.
    [​IMG]

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.