2KPOP16: SOTY Rate (THE FINAL: ~*WINNER*~) | Page 43 | The Popjustice Forum

2KPOP16: SOTY Rate (THE FINAL: ~*WINNER*~)

Discussion in 'K-pop' started by Squashua, Dec 4, 2016.

1. Sorry, but I'm still not feeling it. AND IT'S FINALLY OUT, thank Ehécatl!

(The Aztec god of wind~)

2. WHAT A PLOT TWIST.

Slice of Life and Squashua like this.
  3. I think I only gave 2 10s or something. Some of us are just harder to please!

4. SO ABOUT THAT CRASH LANDING BEFORE

IT'S A TWO-STAGE DECAY

[​IMG]

8th

[​IMG]

COSMIC GIRLS - SECRET
    Avg: 8.50

11 - @Slice of Life
    10 - @Squashua @ThighHighs @junglefish @Capitan @Laurence Nope @Reboot @D is for Danger! @Mikl C @ajmkv
    3 - @Salami

(you've never felt cosmo inside of you clearly)
    My Score: 10

Smack bang crash wallop - there goes perhaps the BIGGEST, most unexpected rookie banger of the whole of 2016. Slicey's 11 and owner of almost as many 10s as they have members, Secret was never really in contention for the top 5 but stayed a constant feature in the 6 - 10 bracket even after Salami tried to obliterate it with a 3-per beam. Its next lowest score was a 6, probably in attempt to gain favour with T-ara's upcoming blood curse comeback.

[​IMG]

Cosmic Girls (also known under their 4 letter sub-unit abbreviation that no longer makes sense since they gained a 13th member oops) were not on our radars at the start of the year. MoMoMo with its Judy Jetson aeygo realness was going to have no chance converting the Anti-Cute club and the decay for that Starship's newest girlgroup looked set in stone (or should that be set in an alien alloy?).

HOUSTON, WE WERE WRONG.

My dear sweet mother of the galactic nebula were we mistaken. Starship Entertainment are obviously better known for piloting the good ship SISTAR alongside, at least initially, co-captain Brave Bros yet the WJSN troop seemed a long way off garnering the same appeal or even a similar budget in terms of promotion. Then a little TV show happened, one of their gals jettisoned their way out of the producer manipulation to score the last spot in I.O.I and here we were.

THIS. IS. A. KPOP. BLOCKBUSTER.

And in honour of the fact, let's see just how many awards the celestial Secret can clean up:

BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY
    Like DUH
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BEST COSTUME & MAKE UP
    DUH x2
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BEST VISUAL EFFECTS
    DUH x10000
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY
    [​IMG]

Why not start at the beginning? The immortal epitaph that will last through generations almost wouldn't have been so if they had just plonked an "s" after cosmo. As it is:
    has there ever been a moment in your life when a question has so utterly baffled you yet shook you so deep to your bionic core?
    Have I ever felt cosmo inside me?
    What does it mean to be felt?
    Will we ever know who cosmo is or what marks they have left upon our very souls?
    Really makes you contemplate the importance of life.

BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY

Still can't get over the kii of them not even needing half the members for an acoustic cover.
    PLUS I'm still waiting for the dancehall version of MoMoMo ladies.

BEST ANIMATED FEATURE

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS(es)
    Well done everyone who wasn't YeunJeung.
    [​IMG]

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR(S)

Sassy dog collar unnie & dangling earring unniw were serving. I'm not gonna lie, I wish I knew enough people who liked K-Pop to actually attempt this choreo. The opening walk out is one of my favourite dance moments in K-Pop ever.

BEST ACTRESS/DIRECTOR
    Because let's be real without the Serpentine Queen sacrificing Chanmi in the name of Taeyeon we probably would never have even got this. Plus you try falling through a planet's atmosphere in astronaut booty shorts and still be able to do finger/palm-ography.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Oh and before I forget

BEST ORIGINAL SONG / SCORE / PICTURE

DONE.
    WHEN WILL LA LA LAND?

[​IMG]

How far into the universe will you boldly go where no commentator has gone before hmm? Reboot certainly predicts great things: “Have you ever felt cosmo inside of you” really … manages to raise one’s expectations, doesn’t it?" I don't doubt it. GeiPanda definitely felt it inside: "So great and I love the video." and shadily concurring with that is Deja-Boo: "Great cinematography, beautiful cinematography".

AREN'T YOU MISSING WONDERFUL CINEMATOGRAPHY?
    [​IMG]

So Ajmkv took a warm worm hole into the past and broke the first rule of time travel - don't chat with yourself silly: "At this point... should I just start quoting previous commentaries and making fun of myself? Let's do it:
    Yeah, that. On point, no? Oh, and also something I said about this song's intro:
    All I have to say to that is:
    [​IMG] "

Sign me up for the club walk mr! Robinho#1 has done a status report of the ship and found something not of this world: "This was clearly an anomaly, particularly after their debut single. Such a bop and works well with the space-like name concept." Our space Capitan believes this data shows much more promise than a one-off event: "Never would I have thought that Cosmic Girls would come out with such a bop and such an aesthetically pleasing MV. I kind of wrote them off for having too many members and truth be told, when I first heard this song, I didn't care for it at all. 2 weeks later I could not stop humming 'ANIYA~'. I love watching them take steps into becoming the true group they're meant to be." Equally down for a good ANIYAAAAA (as i'm sure most of us are), i'm not sure if D is for Danger! is trying to sound out the name of traditional curry here or speaking in a Cosmic alien tongue: "Bi. Mir. I. Ya. The addition of Yeonjung to the group brought them to relevance. A massive improvement over their previous 2 singles. I love the drum loop and guitar that lead into the chorus. Those Yeonjung high notes at the end are just sublime. Aaaaa aniyaaaaaaa! Cheng Xiao got some freakin' lines too! What hasn't already been said about this song?! Truly a cosmic experience!"

IT'S TOTALLY TUBULAR DUDE
    [​IMG]

If there's one thing I Wish, it's for Vesperly to refrain this slander: "2017 confession: I like I Wish more." but sis I mean:
    I do really love both now though.

I've already done one google search for acid trip gifs Ryan_Riot, please don't make me fall down that black hole again: "I actually quite liked “MoMoMo” but this was miles ahead sound wise, concept wise, and visual wise. Everything about this comeback was amazing. A beautiful acid trip of fairytales and fantasy. The good thing about this track too is that without the video, you still get that vibe from the track which is always a great accomplishment." Who knew MoMoMo had fans? First Ryan, now ThighHighs - but who's the third Mo sis?: "The runner-up for my 11. I was one of the 3 who likes MoMoMo, but even I knew they wouldn’t get anywhere with it. The addition of Snake Queen Yeonjung elevated the group and their output in a major way. This was, without a doubt, the most perfect package in kpop this year, with the song, styling, and music video all suiting each other to perfection. "

I'll tell you a secret - you haven't seen commentary until you've experience the full Slice of Life utopian novella. Without further ado, send off your intrepid 11 unnie:

"2016's Closer... meaning it's that nugu magnum opus that we totally never expected to scalp us clean and cleanse our souls. Seriously, where did this come from? Did we really expect something this phenomenal from these Starship Entertainment rookies??? I frankly did not. I have already said in the GRAMAMA thread that I was late to the Secret party. I hated Catch Me and MoMoMo or whatever those shit singles are actually called. I don't care. So when Secret was released, I didn't give it the time of the day. Flash forward to me joining Popjustice. Y'all were hyping this up but I stood my ground. I will not be subjected to such disaster again! But then I launched the K-Popjustice Charts and this was voted by a ton of you. And to do the post for it, I had to watch the music video and listen to the song. So I did... At first I thought it was just nice. But then I kept listening to it, kept watching the flawless music video... listened again, watched again... and again... And now, I. AM. OBSESSED. I think it's absolutely the best song of 2016. Doing this rate made me realize that. It is the complete package... from the song, music video, to choreography. It is a barrage of awesome. And that's something that needs to be rewarded. A true pop miracle."

I'm fine, honest, i'm ok...
    [​IMG]

He, Queen Majesty, ThighHighs and 5 others like this.
  5. This rate is not going the way I want it at all.

Secret is just the complete package, isn't it? Great song, amazing video, good choreo, cute girls. (That said, I prefer I Wish now.)

6. It's my fault. I don't know how I screwed up and gave it less than a 10... Forgive me unnies as I have sinned.

Slice of Life and Squashua like this.
  7. Salami and Slice of Life like this.
  8. Uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuh...

This never was in the Top 5? We have failed!

9. It looks like @Salami is becoming this forum's least favourite deli meat and I'm low-key living for it. Just don't knock out my 11, thanks girl.

Deja-Boo, ryan_riot92, Salami and 4 others like this.
  10. @Salami PUT YOUR LOCATION ON. I WANNA FIGHT.

I HATE YOU ALL AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH ANIYA-AHHHHHHH~~~

He, Deja-Boo, McQueer and 8 others like this.
  11. Oh come on, it's a rubbish song.

Fortunately I think I like all the rest and scored them pretty high so your other faves are safe.

Deja-Boo and Capitan like this.
  12. Why is Russian Roulette still here?! Seriously! WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE?!!!

Mikl C and Dangerous Maknae like this.
  13. This rate has become a MOCKERY OF ALL THINGS GOOD!

I mean, Secret making the top 10 was an inevitability, but it never even got to the top 5? It landed at #8? This is UNREAL!

(Rough to win it all tbh)

14. [​IMG]

Is that Sooyoug in your avatar?
    Oh.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
  15. I can't believe this one got so high. And everyone's saying it should've been top 5? I'm way out the loop here. I did enjoy the video though. Otherwise it's a 2.

16. Better not.

Dangerous Maknae likes this.
  17. Red Velvet and Wonder Girls out next and then I'll be satisfied with basically any order the top 5 is in.

Rough should be winning this but it won't. TT

Squashua and ThighHighs like this.
  18. This rate is a full mess. Fuck you salami xo

ajmkv, Slice of Life, Salami and 2 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.