4AD Records - 30 years old today! | The Popjustice Forum

4AD Records - 30 years old today!

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by Former member 330, Aug 29, 2010.

1. Any fans of the 4AD label? They're 30 years old today... I did a 'top 30 tracks' (no particular order) to celebrate...

[​IMG]

2. Was it really 1980!? Yikes. I'd imagined 1982 at the earliest. Seminal label. Their artwork was often the best thing about their records...except when it was Pixies or Cocteau Twins, who were brilliant. I'm not sure how many other CDs I've got...Belly and Breeders, certainly....

EG.

3. I LOVE 4AD SO MUCH.

They have hosted and do host so many amazing acts - kudos to them!

4. I like what I know, which isn't much admittedly. Pixies, Breeders, Belly and I'm a massive Lush fan. Are they releasing a compilation or anything for the anniversary?

5. Lush and Colourbox also feature in my collection..and the M/A/R/R/S single was groundbreaking and exciting, despite becoming so ubiqutious at the time. I never imagined it would be a #1.

EG.

6. Dead Can Dance anyone??? Into The Labyrinth is probably the most accessible.

7. Cocetau Twins.

That's all this post needed to say.

8. Throwing Muses were amazing. Counting Backwards, Tar Kissers and Two Step are three of my all time favourite songs.

9. It'll End In Tears - This Mortal Coil

One of my favorite albums to play as Autumn is approaching...

10. I discovered Cocetau Twins recently, thanks to iamamiwhoami fans speculation, haha. I really like them! I'm obsessed with Pandora (For Cindy) at the moment.

11. Maleström

Maleström Guest

Iggzackly! Within the Realm of a Dying Sun is probably their - and 4AD's - most awe-inspiring album ever.

12. [​IMG]

Got this for Xmas! How lucky am I? Sounds absolutely crystal clear and the packaging is gorgeous, you can feel the quality!

13. Oh that is grogeous. 78 quid though. An ideal gift to get, hehe.

14. I can't pick between Creation and 4AD, but the Cocteaus, Pixies, This Mortal Coil, Breeders, Colourbox and Lush are all much-loved favourites. That's the most impressive looking playlist I've seen in a while Anfunny!

15. 4AD always appealed to me more. Creation seemed to be about indie kids and drugs, whereas there was an artier, ethereal vibe about 4AD acts and artwork.

16. That makes sense I suppose.... and my general shoegaze penchant has probably meant a lot of Creation bands I love (Ride, Boo Radleys, House of Love, MBV) were massively influenced by 80s 4AD acts.

"It'll End In Tears" prompted me to listen to Big Star and, by way of "Third", both the Replacements AND Velvet Underground. Gateway drug alert!

17. I've got loads of 4AD albums. I'm going to listen to Cannonball right now.

18. My favourite Creation acts were genereally those shoegazing ones too. I'm trying to get back into some of that music.

19. I love Creation Records and Alan's enthusiasm always appealed to me. Any label that brought us bands like Jesus And Mary Chain, Primal Scream, Felt, My Bloody Valentine and Ride deserves all the praise we can generate. All those wonderful bands, all those amazing songs, those iconic albums...then Alan discovered Oasis. Oh well. The other bands, the less remembered ones like House Of Love, Weather Prophets, The Loft had amazing moments too. Poptones was good but not anywhere near as amazing as Creation.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.