4AD Records - 30 years old today! | Page 2 | The Popjustice Forum

4AD Records - 30 years old today!

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by Former member 330, Aug 29, 2010.

1. I always felt 4AD had more of a common vibe throughout its acts, even if that was just an illusion created by the artwork. The JAMC made some great records, but beyond that it was The House Of Love and "some other stuff" for me when it came to Creation. But the documentary on recently did make me realise there was quite a bit of decent stuff on the label.

2. I might just do that....I found the way the documentary mixed-up the timeline and tried to rewrite history a bit irksome. There *is* a good story in there.

3. Have you got the last Boo Radleys record EG?, "KIngsize".... sounds nothing like "Giant Steps" (which I do love), but one of Creation's last inspired moments. Unlike fucking Oasis. That doco was brilliant.... they played it at midnight or something at the Primavera sound fest in Barcelona last June.

4. I never really got into the Boos...they're a band I'd like to have a Collection of, because they tended to be quite eclectic, with no two albums the same sound.

5. I didn't like The Boo Radleys. I've never been a fan of them, to be honest.

6. Agreed... I think they put out a couple in the end. One of which a double CD?

7. I never knew about those...will probably try the 2CD.

8. Although I much, much prefer 4AD overall, I have a massive soft spot for Creation for the amount of Momus albums they released. Actually, thinking about it, Momus' first group The Happy Family (basically, Josef K with Nick on vocals) were on 4AD, so it's a clear win for me.

That and Dead Can Dance are just a very, very special group, wheras Oasis are not.

9. Time to resurrect this thread. Classic Pop Magazine have a feature in the latest issue, including a list of 50 Essential tracks. There is also a beautiful-looking new book (which does seem a bit skimpy inside for the price), so....let's compile a fantasy 4AD boxset. I want to make one, and I need help. Most people would say I have always needed the latter....

10. Ooh exciting! Are we going to include latter day 4AD stuff from people such as Scott Walker, Grimes, Purity Ring and St. Vincent? Or just focus on the label's 'purple patch'?

11. Well, Classic Pop Magazine do! So yes.

12. I kind of did, with Wake Up Boo! and such. My cousin remembered we had seen them in New Cross in 1992, but I didn't think they were special then.
    https://www.songkick.com/concerts/660095-boo-radleys-at-venue-new-cross

They evidently had Pulp as support act then, and I can't remember them either. Hopefully we didn't come so late we missed them.

13. OK, have had a look at the 4AD artists I own music from and offer up the following:

Blonde Redhead - 'Misery Is A Butterfly'
    Bon Iver - 'The Wolves (Act I and II)' (album was released on 4AD in the UK.)
    Cocteau Twins - 'Lorelei', 'Cherry-Coloured Funk', 'Iceblink Luck'
    Dead Can Dance - 'The Host Of Seraphim'
    Grimes - 'Oblivion'
    Lisa Germano - '...A Psychopath'
    Lisa Gerrard - 'Sanvean: I Am Your Shadow' (version from her 1995 album 'The Mirror Pool)
    Pixies - 'Where Is My Mind?', 'Gigantic'
    Purity Ring - 'Fineshrine'
    St. Vincent - 'Cruel'
    Scott Walker - 'Cossacks Are'
    The Breeders - 'Cannonball'
    This Mortal Coil - 'Song To The Siren'
    Zomby - 'Natalia's Song'

Loads of gaps obviously.

14. Using the Classic Pop list as a starting point, I'm missing and/or have never really heard:

The Wolfgang Press
    Dead Can Dance
    AR Kane
    Ultra Vivid Scene

...from the original golden era of 4AD from 1980-1994 (ish). I'm also severely lacking Bauhaus material from their time on the label (I only have the Beggars Banquet label recordings).

So quite a bit of discovering and buying to do. Ordered "Lonely Is An Eyesore" last night for starters.

15. Oh here it is... three years ago?! I really don't remember starting this thread... oh well!

16. Arrrrgh, I just typed out a list of all the Ultra Vivid Scene tracks I'd recommend from each release along with youtube links and my pc crashed and wiped it all. Happy to type it out again if you want though Eric.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2013
  17. I feel your pain, Zarj! Just a few would be fine, the ones you think are the best to start off with from a position of complete ignorance.

As for those two upcoming 4AD collections, yes I wondered about the lack of a CD edition too. Maybe details of those will follow? You cannot really have a 4AD release without the artwork and packaging!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.