5 Centimeters per Second | The Popjustice Forum

5 Centimeters per Second

Discussion in 'TV + Film' started by Lately, Sep 21, 2016.

1. Has anyone else seen this masterpiece? Highly recommend it. Just 1 hour long, divided in 3 chapters. Beautiful story and great visuals. The synopsis tells the whole story, but if anyone wants to read it:
    Takaki Toono and Akari Shinohara, two very close friends and classmates, are torn apart when Akari's family is transferred to another region of Japan due to her family's job. Despite separation, they continue to keep in touch through mail. When Takaki finds out that his family is also moving, he decides to meet with Akari one last time.

As years pass by, they continue down their own paths, their distance slowly growing wider and their contact with one another fades. Yet, they keep remembering one another and the times they have shared together, wondering if they will have the chance to meet once again.

Or english dubbed here.

Slice of Life likes this.
  2. Seen it! Especially the first 2 segments are so beautiful. Too bad the song in the 3rd segment doesn't pack the same emotional punch and feels more like a compilation.

If you like this one, you'll also like 'The Garden of Words'. I'm also anticipating Makoto Shinkai's latest and, apparently, most successful movie 'Your Name'. It seems to have a similar feeling/atmosphere. Luckily, it already has a distributor in the UK.

There's also 'Children Who Chase Lost Voices', which is more Ghibli-like.

Coincidently, his older movies 'The Place Promised In Our Early Days' and 'Voices Of A Distant Star' will be (re-)released in a combo Bluray-pack next week. I've already ordered a copy.

Lately likes this.
  3. Thank you for the reccomendations, will be checking those out!
    I live for the song on the 3rd segment though! Couldn't get it off of my head after the movie, first japanese song to have an effect on me.

New Flame likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.